Burma VJ: Reporter i et Lukket Land (Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burma VJ: Reporter i et Lukket Land (Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country) Reviews

½ July 7, 2013
A great look into what was going on in Burma in 2007/08. While other documentaries sometimes have you look through the eyes of the victims, this one has you look through the eyes of the reporters on the ground capturing the oppression at great risk to themselves.
½ February 17, 2013
A doc. about brave reporters in Burma that risk their lives to get the truth out about the brutality of the police state.
November 12, 2012
A film I really liked until I thought a bit about it and which I still want to like. This film is so stuffed with recreated and redramatized scenes that it's a bit difficult to take seriously as a documentary. So heavily edited to stay on a very specific message, but still leaving tons of interesting (and obvious) questions not only unanswered but unasked, I found it to be one of the most disappointing films on Burma I've seen to date.
August 16, 2012
Powerful. Wonderful coverage of a truly brave social movement. Inspires hope!
April 15, 2012
The most inspiring piece of documentary cinema ever made.
½ April 14, 2012
excellent and a powerful reminder of times past in burma
April 5, 2012
An Oscar nominated documentary film that, from start to finish, is a tense and moving picture about the atrocities that are happening to the people of Burma, which borders India, China, and Thailand. The militaristic government is violent, repressive, and totalitarian towards its people, but most are too afraid to fight it. The movie follows 30 reporters who risk their lives taking video of what is happening, and sending it out through the internet for the world to see. It is haunting, yet hopeful.
March 23, 2012
Gripping indeed, the hunter became the hunted, the monks got squashed, god rest their soul.
½ January 22, 2012
My only complaint is they did not indicate which scenes were re-constructed and which were genuine. Some of the scenes were incredibly moving in particular because I thought they were real footage, but I would feel deceived if they turned out to be re-constructed scenes.
½ December 20, 2011
Surreptitious amateur video photographers risk their lives to document human rights abuses in Burma. A documentary that makes you glad to be somewhere else.
October 31, 2011
Fascinating doc based on video recordings smuggled out of Burma. Shocking to watch the military killing monks and civilian unarmed protesters.
½ August 26, 2011
"Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country" is a fascinating and powerful documentary that shows the dangers of censorship and why we need the freedom of speech. It is a very tense and thrilling movie with real footage mixed with recreated events in the way it is being told by "Josh".
½ August 12, 2011
so thrilling and sad really, this is a real documental
July 29, 2011
Melhor documentário feito, absolutamente.
½ July 25, 2011
I was Burmese video journalist for 90 minutes.
½ May 30, 2011
There are some brave people out there.
May 21, 2011
An extremely powerful film. "The Cove" won the Oscar for best documentary in 2009, I haven't seen it yet, I'm not sure if it could top this. I'll be seeing "Bridesmaids" later today just slightly different mood I'm sure.
March 20, 2011
this movie made me such a crybaby for a week at least
½ March 14, 2011
This is the closest you'll ever be to being inside a suppressive military regime without actually being in one. Through real footage, showing step by step how an uprising comes together in a policed state of fear and control, Burma VJ is a frightening look at at small group trying to broadcast to the world what is secretly happening in the suppressed country. This film will make you appreciate the simple freedoms we take for granted in most of the rest of the world, and will hopefully drive the rest of the world to do something about this situation that still continues in Burma today.