Burning Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burning Man Reviews

½ May 5, 2016
Confusing and horrible, Why did someone make this into a movie, I couldn't watch the whole thing that Shit!!!!
November 27, 2015
Time jumping can be used effectively to keep a viewer guessing what the ultimate story looks like and then again time jumping can cause a person's head to hurt trying to make heads or tails of what is happening. This movie takes the later approach and I had to stop watching it. I couldn't care about any of these characters because too many timelines were being jumbled together.
November 26, 2015
My Updated Review on 2nd Viewing (4 stars):

My first viewing of this film left me a bit dazed and confused. I knew I absolutely loved the cinematography. I knew I loved Matthew Goode's performance. But the seemingly random mash-up of the editing left me conflicted. Now, a few years later upon a second viewing, I really see the brilliance in this film and the techniques used to tell this story. It's a very smart, detailed and complex interwoven set of events and emotions edited together to explore the different aspects of the grieving process and echo how human memory works. The majesty of the editing really comes especially in the pairing of some of the most difficult with the most amazing memories. I think the film plays so much better on repeat viewings because once you get past just understanding what the story is the first time, then you can explore the myriad dynamics of the details that really make this movie special. Definitely a film to have on a regular, repeat viewing cycle.

My Initial Review (3.5 stars):

One of the most visually breathtaking movies I've ever seen. The cinematography and production design are perfect. Every single frame of this film is a piece of art, meticulous in its detail like in a Malick film. The performances from Matthew Goode, Bojana Novakovic and Jack Heanly (as the young son Oscar) are spectacular. Goode lives up to his name to say the least and provides the emotional core of the movie. The main thing keeping Burning Man from sizzling on screen like no other is the messy jigsaw-like non-linear editing. I felt like the Director lost a lot of emotional depth and caring for the characters by chopping their narratives up in such a disjointed manner. It wasn't until halfway thru the movie that I started to understand what was really going on. But every time the story started to build, it went in a different direction and lost its steam. I still really liked the story overall, and I wanna revisit it down the road in a year or two and see if a 2nd viewing improves it now that I know the structure and story. Kudos to the filmmakers however for taking chances and going outside the box. Bottom line is that this down under flick is a delight and should definitely be seen.
October 16, 2015
confusing at first. not your typical straightforward film but as it progressed so did the story and things started to fall into place. watching the struggle and love was quite intense and well put together. loved the aftermath of the accident as they are bringing him in. in the mist of the everything it's nice to have a bit of comedy to lighten up the heaviness throughout the film.
½ January 25, 2015
Well crafted story full of human flaws. Not the movie, the humans (englishes in fact). Using the non-linear narrative, the story is presented as a mélange, a mixed dish, or even a full meal with several dishes that the director picks. On e dish, the next, back to the salad, a bite of meat, etc. We are revolted at first. Then the story reveals itself with bites from the meat dish and we get a bit more. This until nearing the end, we can piece the story together and the guy appears nicer, for an english anyway. He still comes out as edgy, but we understand the outrage. Nice way to make us think about what we may perceive as odd, outragous, stupid, in life or talking gossip may be but a small facet not revealing much of the story. What we know informs what we see and interpret. Beautiful and believable.
October 31, 2014
So incredible on so many levels its brilliant.
½ September 13, 2014
Matthew Goode never fails to impress me. I liked that he wasn't afraid to get ugly. The writing of this movie was really nice. The story is told with many snippets of information out of order that leaves it up to you to fit the pieces together. I appreciate that kind of subtlety in story-telling. Like it seems at first, Tom has a strange fixation or fear of fire maybe because of a car accident he was in but like many of the film's twists, it is so much deeper than that. I liked the artsy shots. It had humor and sweetness balanced well with grief and pain. Really liked the style and the transitions with ironic juxtapositions. For instance, a scene of Tom in bed with his wife, adoring her breasts is inter-cut with a hospital scene of a doctor feeling her breasts and finding cancerous lumps. That's quite a statement. It wasn't something I would be anxious to revisit but I really appreciated it.
½ August 30, 2014
cinematografia, edicion, dialogos recomendable.
August 13, 2014
beautifully filmed and good performances..the editing was kinda annoying to me,so my interest faded in and out of the story, but it was still touching.
½ June 21, 2014
one of the best Story-Reveal films ever
½ June 12, 2014
"Burning Man" starts with Tom(Matthew Goode), a cook, failing to be able to masturbate to orgasm in front of Lesley(Kate Beahan). His day only gets worse when he is involved on the wrong end of a car accident which actually looks it might be serious enough to cook him in his own juices, especially considering he had been shopping for groceries just beforehand. That gives him a lot of time to think back on the birthday party for his eight year old son Oscar(Jack Heanly) and how it all went wrong.

"Burning Man" is a challenging and engaging stream of consciousness movie. Unlike say "Je T'Aime, Je T'Aime," which gets hung up on a wonky time travel plot, "Burning Man" has no such distractions. It is only concerned with the relationships between characters which while possibly confusing at first, eventually become clear, along with Tom's motivations and fixations, on the way to finding the tragedy at the heart of his life. Abd underlining that is Matthew Goode who shows that he can play volatile characters just as well as the restrained characters he usually plays.
½ April 22, 2014
Very well done!!! I loved the creative way the story was told!
April 5, 2014
Interesting story telling
February 19, 2014
Burning Man is a 2011 Australian drama film written and directed by Jonathan Teplitzky.[1][2] On 10 April 2012, Burning Man won Best Music Score for Lisa Gerrard and Best Editing for Martin Connor at the 2011 Film Critics Circle of Australia.
½ January 9, 2014
Matthew Goode delivers a wonderful performance as Tom. He's a character that you want to sympathise with but he makes it difficult with some of his not-so-likeable outbursts. I say SEE IT!!!
½ December 30, 2013
A somewhat confusing and complicated tale due to the jumping timeline which made it a little bit of a disappointing watch. Had it been easier to follow I might have enjoyed it a bit more. Not one I would want to watch again.
½ December 14, 2013
Masentava elokuva kuolemasta, syövästä ja rakkaudesta ja leikattu ärsyttävästi. Hyvä silti.
November 9, 2013
Tough emotional film. A chef loses his wife through cancer and goes off the rails a bit as life seems to lose its purpose in such situations. More emotional than I bargain ed for, a better film than I bargained for.
November 5, 2013
Good effort about grief and the feeling of confusion and aggression that follows the unfair taking of a young life. Slightly convoluted editing does not work to the films advantage as it undermines the raw emotions because the audience has to work hard to connect with the characters for the first twenty minutes or so. Great acting and fantastic camerawork. "Things we lost in the Fire", another recent movie with a similar theme, worked better.