Bustin' Loose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bustin' Loose Reviews

½ September 21, 2009
Funny at times, but pretty cliched. Pryor plays the reluctant ex-con who turns his life around for a straight-laced caretaker of eight troubled orphans. They are traveling cross-country to bring the orphans to their new home in Seattle (!), with humorous results.
May 24, 2009
Was one of my favorite movies growing up I loved everything about this movie. There wasn't a dull moment to me I wish they were movies like this today
May 14, 2009
I'm watching it right now.
April 27, 2009
wow this film is great by richard pryor are greatest performed with an 8 kid & the teacher for the road trip.
½ March 31, 2009
If it wasn't R for language this could have made a good family film, since the content wasn't that bad otherwise. It was surprisingly rather touching, and had it's funny moments. I really liked it.
½ March 20, 2009
This is a timeless comedy. To the story to the soundtrack (Roberta Flack). I love the at the end of the movie when my jam comes on (dah dah dah dah, dah dah, dah dah,da da, dah dah dah dah dah dah)
January 3, 2009
its pretty over the top, but heart warming at the end.
October 17, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested
August 6, 2008
July 28, 2008
"Joe" (the late Richard Pryor) is a foulmouth con man/thief who has been in trouble with the law in the past for most of his life. When he gets arrested again, he is brought in front of a judge (Bill Quinn) and is assigned community service.

He is assigned as a bus driver for special needs students and their teacher (Cicely Tyson), who is taking the students, who the community has shunned, from Philadelphia to a farm in Washington state.

At first, "Joe" is not happy with his situation and does not like what he has been forced into. However, he slowly learns that there is more to life then himself.

The first thing you'd expect from a Richard Pryor movie is jokes laced with four-letter words. There is that, but they basically stop about half-way through the movie. Pryor keeps the laughs going, but they aren't side-splitting jokes. Many of the jokes, in fact, only produce some good chuckles.

There are some good performances in the cast. And, as "Joe" begins to warm up to the kids, you get to see some fair chemistry between them and Pryor. In fact, Pryor's performance is probably the best. "Joe" starts off as a street-wise punk, but slowly becomes a loving man who now knows there are people in more need than he. Pryor shows off the transformation really well. Tyson does a good job herself, and has pretty good chemistry with Pryor and especially the children. To me, it looks as if Pryor and Tyson took time to get to know their young co-stars and began to care for them to the point that they brought that to the screen.

If you ask me, the music is not great. The movie was released in the early 1980's, but sounds like pop from a decade earlier. The music, with the theme song sung by Roberta Flack, is not memorable. The theme song, which you hear a few times during the film, is not even catchy. If the theme song was released today, I can pretty much guarantee it wouldn't chart on Billboard.

The wardrobes are typical for the time the movie was released, and nothing really stands out. It is a trip to see the clothing of when I was 10 though.

I personally wouldn't put it in my Top 10 "Must See" movies, but I would probably put it somewhere on the low side of my Top 5 choices for rent if my first movie wasn't available.
July 22, 2008
not bad but not Pryor's best
July 20, 2008
I'd check out any Pryor film.
July 19, 2008
Hilarious, this movie is a killer! Good job Richard Pryor!
June 30, 2008
This iz mi movie and mi dady love d it to it was an old movie and a funny one too
My fav. part waz wen he took dem fishin n he accted like he waz drowin so Ms.Perry would jump in. Then she finally realized it was only like 2ft.
June 4, 2008
I'm not a social worker! I'm not! I just drive the bus! - Joe Braxton..Funny! lol
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
½ March 11, 2008
i still lay in the floor with my tinker bell blanket t watch this one.
March 1, 2008
I really wanna see this movie
February 10, 2008
Joe Braxton is an ex-con who has been given a second chance to freedom after violating his probation. He has been hired by a school teacher named Vivian Perry to repair and drive an old school bus and drive a group of Special kids to Ms. Perry's Washington Farm from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to give them a new home after The Clarmont Center for Children is shut down by the city. The kids have severe mental problems and Joe is not looking forward to the trip at all, but Joe later bonds with Vivian and the children, offering his support and love and changes his outlook on life. But Donald, the social worker and Vivian's lover who gave Joe his break is hot on their tail and wants Joe back in prison. Joe and Vivian must now prevent Donald from sending the children back to Philidelphia where they'll have no future.
February 2, 2008