The Butch Factor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Butch Factor Reviews

November 18, 2014
A rather interesting Logo documentary addressing the issue of masculinity in gay culture, specifically what it is like not to fit in with the camp pop culture obsessed gay stereotype and become part of the community.
It is mostly a talking head doc speaking to gay men who defy the "usual" stereotype and play sports, work blue collar jobs, a prison guard, even gay cowboys. There is also the counterpoint of effeminate guys who were always challenged about their masculinity so were forced to come out earlier and build up a defence against the latent homophobia
Does a great job of balancing both perspectives, but could have done with a bit more history. A worthy watch though.
December 12, 2012
The thing about this film that I couldn't quite figure out is whether the filmmaker set out to challenge the idea of heteronormative masculinity in gay culture, whether he's doing a little hero worship, or whether he's dissecting it to expose the sad heart at the center. There's a little bit of all of that. The editing is unfortunate, but I did appreciate that all the posturing and self-loathing homophobic patriarchal bullshit was tempered with insight and perspective from thoughtful and self-aware intellectuals and self-proclaimed sissyboys. The history lesson about the Castro clones and "gay bitchiness" and its provenance were especially welcome. The ultimate message, though, that all gay men come to their own understanding of what it means to be a "man" and they do with it what they can? It didn't quite develop for me. In the end the whole thing just left me cold.
½ June 28, 2012
The Butch Factor wants to showcase different kinds of gay men in an effort to reinforce the notion everyone comes to their version of masculinity a different way. That's all well and good, though it strikes out in the editing department. Instead of including quick look backs at history late in the film, they should be front and center in order to compare where masculinity was to where it is. Plus, with a deputy sheriff, rugby player, football player, rodeo cowboy and softball player, the film is top loaded with the "normal" version of masculinity even though each of the men profiled came to their particular masculinity in a different way. This almost feels like an elongated piece for a news magazine instead of a feature film. The stories are short, the personalities don't reappear later in the film and the thesis is, quite frankly, more than a bit boring. (I think the point here is to say everyone is worthy of respect, courtesy and love regardless of how they act, what they wear or how they talk.) The Butch Factor gets a little preachy toward the end with the introduction of an author who is almost dismissive of current "twink" gay culture. That part, at the very least, could have been left out since it comes off as little more than a grown man whining.
½ March 24, 2011
Interesting documentary about the different cross sections of gay men.
Jason Vargo
½ March 15, 2011
February 17, 2011
Great eye candy! Was nice to see a bunch of men that just happen to be gay.
½ October 5, 2010
Good subject mattter, but dull delivery....
½ September 7, 2010
very interesting look at what it means to be "masculine" and gay, from gay muscle men, to bears, to athletes, to drag queens, to "sissies" and FTM
½ August 22, 2010
An interesting look at the diversity within the gay community and the different types of butchness that exist.
½ August 19, 2010
This is a refreshing examination of masculinity in gay culture, should definitely work as a great FAQ for the heteronormative crowd out there. For those already aware and somehow invested in the study of all things queer, there are many cool people interviewed who have done some noteworthy projects you'll find yourself googling during or after the movie. I would say I consider myself a 7 of 10 in terms of queer history and culture knowledge, and I learned something new - the term "castro clone" which was used to describe a group of gay men, mostly in San Fran at the rise of gay rights movement, who went to great pains to adopt the hypermasculine images of the works of Tom of Finland, who in turn was inspired by the genuinely hypermasculine, mostly WWII veteran, gay men of the late 40s, early 50s who used their masculine looks to avoid discrimination and encourage easy assimilation into a fearful straight culture. Castro clones used this same look in the late 60s early 70s as a cruising tool, and that enlightened me a lot in terms of where the waxed gym rat standard of today came from.
July 29, 2010
Insightful exploration of masculinity.
July 17, 2010
A great film that I think that every single gay male should watch.
½ July 5, 2010
Interesting enough for me to recommend
March 23, 2010
An original insight into gay men and how they perceive masculinity in their lives and in the world we live in.
½ March 22, 2010
February 18, 2010
Interesting portrait of masculinity as seen through the eyes of gay men. This documentary touches the saface of the issues gay men face when dealing with the "man" part of "gay man." It is interesting to see how (most,) homosexual men see masculinity like a merit badge that needs to be earned and displayed prominently. Whereas their straight counterparts take masculinity for a given. Their masculine identity is handed to them at birth. It is not something that is questioned. It clearly shows how gay men have to fight to be identified as male. Recommended.