The Butcher Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Butcher Boy Reviews

September 2, 2016
Its the child actor who makes this coming of age interesting. Its about a young Irish boy whose mother has a breakdown, his father is a drinker, and he likes to pick fights with a snooty neighbour lady. The movie is a dark comedy and has some pathos and even a bit of heart, but sometimes its a bit wavering in places. I only saw it because it is directed by Neil Jordan.
December 17, 2015
The Butcher boy is a film about childhood, friendship later betrayed, a world that seems only be ready to deceive you and the response from this child in the border of fantasy and insanity.A tragic comedy well directed and performes for the young new actor
November 16, 2015
Neil Jordan have a good eye for young actors and actresses so Eamonn Owens is the main fuel of the movie, the rest is hard to follow mostly becouse of chaotic dialogues.
½ March 4, 2015
Dark, surrealistic tragic comedy. I think the Americans would be lost by the Monaghan accent...they don't pronounce their "r"s.
January 6, 2015
It's a very good black comedy film and I'd say it's one of the best Irish films I've ever seen! I'm Irish and I live in Dublin, Ireland. I have it on DVD.
½ October 4, 2014
Tries too hard to emulate the disturbing nature of Peter Jackson's 1994 character study Heavenly Creatures, but doesn't seem to understand what made that movie so brilliant. The Butcher Boy is sometimes funny, though not nearly enough, sometimes interesting, though never gripping, and it reaches a pretty disturbed climax, though it takes far too long to get there, and it doesn't feel as though it's rising to that moment nor does it succeed in completely convincing me of its character's transition into madness.
½ September 21, 2014
You probably all had that unsettled kid at school that nobody messed with because they'd heard rumours that he was kicked out of the last school for doing something psycho, and then, one day he loses his rag and goes mental at your school and that's the last you see or hear of him. Well this is a story about that kind of kid in a small Irish town. It's pretty good, a quite original story put on film very well.
½ May 26, 2014
Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's disturbing, sometimes it's horrific and sometimes it's sad. Making "The Butcher Boy" is a brilliant-weird film. This film brings us into a life about a boy struggling with violence, a broken friendship, his active imagination and his mental illness with hilarious narrator and horrifying-sad ending.
November 2, 2013
my favourite movie of all time
September 23, 2013
Pretty uneven film that teeters from silly growing up movie to downright demon child. Francie is one ROTTON kid, manipulating, foul mouthed and violent, you just don't know where he'll wind up. And that's the problem with this, because Neil Jordan seems to veer from Home Alone humor to The Omen at a turn of the hat. The kid here is great, and there's some turns here that made my mouth drop, but this is definitely a movie I wouldn't rush to see again.
September 9, 2013
A film just for shocks.
July 18, 2013
Wonderfully dark, comic tale of adolescence.
July 7, 2013
Entertaining, disturbing, and intriguingly manipulative of one's moral compass, this brave film takes a fascinating leap into the psychology of an emotionally disturbed boy and his optimistic blurring of the lines between imagination and derangement.
May 20, 2013
Eamonn Owens is absolutely fantastic as Francis Brady in this black comedy based on the novel by Patrick McCabe about a rebellious boy growing up in 1960's Ireland. Son of an alcoholic father and a mother who makes frequent trips to the funny farm, Francis gets up to the usual mischief a young boy gets up to but goes a step too far and winds up in care himself where he slowly descends into mania himself.
It's a brilliant central performance from the young lad and Neil Jordan's meticulous direction captures the period perfectly.
½ February 2, 2013
This movie is a piece of art. Everything about it is great : acting, soundtrack, filming. You'll go on from laughing to being astonished by what's happening to Francie Brady.
January 5, 2013
The movie is much better than the trailer.
November 13, 2012
Very creepy, but enjoyable Irish film.
October 14, 2012
A disturbing coming of age story, told from the point of view of a deranged boy. Somehow it just didn't resonate with me, I think it was mostly due to darkly comical tone of the movie. It worked quite well in the first half, but in the second half, the story was turning more and more into a farce, instead of conveying the tragic nature of the events.
½ October 13, 2012
Good and fresh movie , kinda reminded me of a movie named Kes.
½ October 5, 2012
Interesting and unique, but too slow until the last 20 minutes.

I appreciate how the developed the story, but it was just too slow. Good performances and clever writing.