By Dawn's Early Light - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

By Dawn's Early Light Reviews

July 19, 2014
Although the basic idea of this movie is good--teaching a spoiled kid how to grow up by taking him out on the trail--there are a few problems. For one thing, the kid's reformation from spoiled, disrespectful brat to good, courteous, responsible young man is too sudden and complete. Then there is the letting the horses just go after the grandfather dies. That is just as cruel as abandoning pets in the woods, because "they know how to survive." Animals who have lived their entire lives with humans don't know how to survive, and in this case probably died from predators--wild horses are in herds, which help protect them somewhat unless they are sick or young. The plot line is just not very well thought out and the script very ho-hum.
½ May 17, 2014
Mostly corny. But Richard Crenna as a cowboy kind of cool.
½ August 20, 2010
This is the type of film that families should watch together-a little bad language here and there but teens especially can get something out of this movie. Just watched this after losing my Dad, it is really a great movie that you will remember-get the Kleenex out, you'll need it-
March 27, 2010
After 15 minutes you know exactly how the film is going to turn out. This is another variation on a often used plot. I will say, this version is pretty well done, mostly due to Richard Crenna?s well defined performance, great casting. Add some really fine cinematography and great location filming in British Columbia and it makes it all worth watching.
November 22, 2009
The first half of this movie was a bit weak, but the second half more than made up for it. Great family film.
May 24, 2009
bad acting, but to be expected. the plot's a 'well duh' kinda plot, but again, to be expected.
½ February 6, 2009
Cute, but the end was a bit much.
Hate it when they push patriotism when it's not needed.
July 15, 2008
Loved this move of what I remembered of it!! I have to see it again son to give a review
June 6, 2008
This is a fantastic movie! A great family movie. Its one of those that got pushed to the back of the shelf, but it is really, really good!
July 20, 2007
OMG! If Chris is in this one, I have got to see it!
April 20, 2007
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!At the end is like very meaningful.
March 13, 2007
it is so good and it gives a good story
March 10, 2007