By the People: The Election of Barack Obama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

By the People: The Election of Barack Obama Reviews

February 18, 2013
watching it on HBO, very inspiring, very good
November 14, 2012
It might not be the best documentary in the world but the story of our president's campaign is impressive. "I will never forget that the only reason I'm here today is because somebody, somewhere stood up for me when it was risky. Stood up when it was hard. Stood up when it wasn't popular. And because that somebody stood up, a few more stood up. And then a few thousand stood up. And then a few million stoop up. And standing up, with courage and clear purpose, they managed to change the world."

Barack Obama Jan. 8, 2008
½ August 3, 2012
it's always good to hear from those voicing their own opinions. It helps you form your own ideas and look for the facts.
½ November 28, 2011
July 31, 2011
Two and a half years after, Obama has proven that he can govern as well as he can campaign. But considering the mountain of opposition he has had to face, one must wonder if Obama sometimes regrets taking the job. Hatred of him spawned a whole political movement and "party." In spite of all this, and a Republican congress determined to destroy him, he has accomplished a great deal in a short time. He is the real deal.
December 30, 2010
i watched this one's last 20-30 mins but i got what it means.......a fascinating story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@(แต.แต)@
November 15, 2010
Experienced goose bumps of admiration once in 15 minutes of the footage. Terrific man and terrific deeds.
½ October 2, 2010
An excellent documentary of the most defining election of the past decade.
½ August 29, 2010
This is an interesting look at the 2008 presidential campaign of Barack Obama. I like politics, but this is not typical fare that I would dedicate a couple of hours to. What I think makes it so fascinating is the same thing that captivated most of the country at that time. It was undeniably historic. I remember being at a caucus the night of the Texas primary until almost midnight. That's how many people turned out. And that was only the primary. And in red state Texas. It truly felt like what I imagined the 1960's felt like. So, for that reason alone, this is worth seeing. It does play stale at times however, for example showing too much of the news point of view, which almost everyone is probably sick of by now. It would have been better if it had more of the things that worked in this doc. Behind the scenes stuff with the Obamas, of course. But also the campaign workers, and how dedicated they were, and also just everyday jane and joe who felt called to action and involvement. Those were the items that I loved the most and wish they had spent more time on. The nine year old (the very intelligent and well spoken nine year old, I may say) making campaign calls definitely sticks out. Great stuff. Regardless of your feelings on President Obama, this is worth seeing and worth remembering because it was such a monumental moment in American history. And if nothing else, it will serve as a neat time capsule of the wild ride that was the 2008 election.
½ June 19, 2010
A momentous occasion in U.S. history but as charismatic as Obama is, this was just kind of boring at times.
½ April 27, 2010
Really enjoyed how the movie relived the power of Obamas campaign. It was also really cool to see the team behind him.
½ April 25, 2010
A behind-the-scenes look at Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign. No voice-overs, no commentary, no editorials, yet it works. Serves as a record of what goes into a presidential campaign, the events within that campaign, and how history is created.
April 16, 2010
The obvious comparison to "By The People"is, of course, "The War Room", the 1992 documentary about Bill Clinton's campaign. The latter is a far superior documentary only because Clinton's campaign was loaded with colorful characters, not the least of which was Clinton himself. By comparison, "By The People" is a boring, useless 2 hours that practically does a disservice to a charismatic, if boring and drama-free, candidate. Given that there's no drama around Obama, one would expect some insight into the staffers, the family, or even more behind the scenes looks at how the campaign dealt with the bumps in the road (Jeremiah Wright, Hillary's fight to the end, etc.). Nothing.

If you're a political junkie, this is a waste of time. There is hardly anything here that couldn't be gleaned from press accounts immediately following the election and any number of books about the candidate and the campaign. If you're a novice or just an Obama fan, you might find it compelling. It's a nice piece of history to own, I suppose, but good for little else.
April 15, 2010
Over all, I think this film is great, however, even being a politics junkie, and an Obama supporter, I found it kinda dull around the middle....but the great ending makes up for it all!
April 9, 2010
The Election of Barack Obama offers viewers an all-access pass to campaign life on the road to the White House and the unprecedented grass roots effort that supported him. The film follows the former Senators path from the excitement of the first victory in Iowa, to the struggles of a long and grueling primary campaign, and finally to his historic inauguration as president of the United States. It is a wonderfully shot documentary following the 19-month campaign that worked out primarily because participants were focused and passionate, because their cause was just and their charismatic candidate rocked. Few political campaigns in US history have been as dramatic as that of President Barack Obama, who overcame a fierce primary battle, an ugly general election campaign, and ultimately managed to become America's first African-American president. By The People: The Election of Barack Obama is a compelling account of that campaign featuring never before seen footage of Obama behind the scenes, as well as interviews and candid moments with family, senior campaign staff, volunteers, reporters, supporters and even opponents. Simply unmissable!
½ March 22, 2010
An awkward president, who does not listen to questions, does not care about anything, or the country, instead just money. 1/20/13 will be the best day ever for lots of people.
½ March 22, 2010
Well paced, and I actually learnt something, insightful is the word!!
½ February 17, 2010
Practically the ring-side seat to the whole campaign without reading a book on it.
February 16, 2010
This movie brought back the nastalsia that I had during the historic campaign Of Barack Obama.
February 8, 2010