By the Sword - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

By the Sword Reviews

October 27, 2012
Cutting edge drama is delivered in this film about a new janitor at a top fencing school with a mysterious background who turns out to be a very talented swordsman in his own right.
September 6, 2012
A good story played well by great actors makes this unknown film one that deserves more recognition.
August 26, 2011
As good today as it was 20 years ago when I first saw it ... apparently, the critics saw a different movie. One of my all-time favorites!
July 10, 2010
By the sword is one of those movies you find yourself watching when you have a raw case of insomnia. Nevertheless, it was entertaining and Eric Roberts gives a suitable performance as the fencing instructor that values winning above all and should have been cast as the villain instructor in the original Karate Kid. F. Murray does a good job directing the actors and tells a far to familiar story of never judging a book by its cover in a fun and entertaining way.
½ May 20, 2010
A good movie, I like the theme of redemption and always being haunted by your memories and living in the past which now that it has happened you cant change. the Fencing is decent but all the minor characters are forgettable, Abraham and Roberts are good as foils to each other in the last scene...very underrated and almost unknown..always liked Abraham (he is from Pittsburgh) since he played Salieri in Amadeus the Champion of Mediocrity LOL...I also like Eric Roberts who as he gets older has gotten better and is getting some better roles, lmao whenever I see him in the Killers Video Mr Brightside...
½ May 2, 2010
Absolutely great and predictable movie dripping with the feel of 80's/early 90's movies. Unusual venue for classic honor in fighting drama. One of those "I know this is a B movie, I know it's predictable, but I loved watching it suprisingly much anyway" movies.
½ October 19, 2009
There are movies out there, that have been shot down by critics, and are left largely unknown to the public.

By The Sword is one of those movies. The originality of this movie is that it develops in the world of fencing. The main actors, Eric Roberts and F. Murray Abraham are on top of their game. The story is solid, albeit a little predictable.

Eric Roberts, to me, is stellar in this movie. I've always thought he was a fantastic actor, and I'm stoked that he's back in the game. Of course, opposite to him, F. Murray Abraham also shines. In fact, if only for the two main characters, this is a must-see.

I highly recommend it!
August 1, 2009
½ May 22, 2009
Quite absorbing, I found the final fight real edge of the seat stuff. I felt like some of the plot got lost along the way though, we got no real resolution for the kids plots, only the teachers. Strange music, dodgy sound issues. Well worth a watch though, especially if you have any interest in fencing. I was tempted to give it a higher mark, but although it's a good watch it's only my personal interest in the subject matter that made it as good as it was.
October 21, 2008
Former champion fencer Eric Roberts gets chance for retribution on the man who killed his father in a duel when he surfaces at Roberts' academy as the janitor. Better than you might think.
September 10, 2008
Excellent movie for many reasons...see my comment below for a slightly more indepth analysis.
September 10, 2008
I love this movie. Too many people harp on the plot for being average or predictable, but this misses the point and the acting by the two leads is excellent. This movie can be appreciated much by athletes and those who enjoy a fun rewatchable movie, and not a practice in tedium.
March 24, 2008
a caretaker in a school for fencers. Sounds shockingly bad but surprissingly brilliant. Eric Roberts at his absolute best but the star of the film is the caretaker, F Murray Abraham
February 6, 2008
Fencing and honor... Very good!
½ January 5, 2008
I liked this a lot. It's kind of TV movie cheesy, but it's sort of elevated for some reason.
December 21, 2007
What I sawll make your ass start giggling
Three black, crippled and crazy senior citizens
December 13, 2007
I take my boys everywhere I go, because I'm paranoid.
October 19, 2007
A small film that is often over looked, set in the world of fencing, F Murray Abraham and Eric Roberts are destined to clash. I think Eric does some of his best acting here, the fencing sequences are nice and the story has a genuine human feel to it. Good old fashioned story telling and no CGI in site gives this film the salutation it deserves.
September 10, 2007
Best. Modern Fencing. Movie. Ever. Yes, very cheesy. Still, a very good attempt at a dramatic movie with modern fencing as a backdrop.
August 3, 2007
This is the best movie I have ever seen. Where do you find a man with Eric Roberts' exact wardrobe?