Cabin Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cabin Boy Reviews

June 7, 2016
A brilliant comedy that sadly far too few people fail to acknowledge. Chris Elliott's irreverent slapstick art form is at its peak in this 90s Classic. Stupid? Yes. Hilarious? Without question. One of those things that you just have to "get", but if you do you'll realize it's one the funniest movies you'll ever see.
March 27, 2016
Watch it more than 5 times. You will thank me.
June 28, 2015
I just love Chris Elliot. Everything he does makes me laugh. This movie is the kind of insane, absurd movie that I love to watch over and over again. The only thing that I don't like about it is that no one I know, besides me, seems to get it, so knowing all of the quotes only entertains myself.
½ May 15, 2015
I saw this once when it first came out, and for whatever reason, I've logged this as a film that I didn't enjoy watching, but somehow still really respect; it takes a lot of risks that have little chance of ingratiating itself with a large audience. What I took away from it: I sometimes refer to myself as a "fancy lad." I love that this movie actually exists, even if I'm unlikely to ever see it again.
½ April 19, 2015
I do not think Chris Elliot is the least bit funny anytime and throw in this clunker of a movie and there's no change in that.
½ February 27, 2015
Very odd and random. I saw it as a kid and remembered it fondly. Having watched it as an adult, I can say that I probably didn't get many of the jokes when I was younger. If you enjoy comedy that is so dumb that it's funny, give this one a try.
½ December 31, 2014
Indecisive as to its target audience, ´Cabin Boy´is at once a colourful comedy caper on the high seas, with production values that recall old Technicolor adventures, and yet, loaded with racy gags and an almost adult cynicism that horribly clashes. Doesn´t help that the plot is inconsequential, and the characters all various shades of bland.
½ August 4, 2014
I loved this one back in the days when Letterman was king and it brings back nice memories.
July 17, 2014
Gloriously stupid. And, somewhat surprisingly, stands up to repeated viewings.
½ June 19, 2014
The Cabin Boy is not a movie to be taken seriously, unfortunately however, many people do not see it how it was meant to be seen; as a purposely crappy film. The fact that it's crapy adds immensely to the hilarity of the film, along with all the classic, crude and crass jokes. This is obviously the way the director wanted the movie to be and I just can't understand why people try to see it as being serious. This film is very underrated, but if you're looking for a retardedly hilarious time, check it out. Just keep in mind the way the movie was meant to be seen.
April 11, 2014
It's an alright comedy-adventure if you like Chris Elliott... matter of fact, if you were a fan of Get A Life, you'd definitely find a lot to desire here, given the inclusion of some other cast members from the show! It's a strange film really, one that has a hyrbid of historical voyages, modern 90's technology, fantasy elements, and such that are a big blend of many things! There really isn't a lot to say about it. It's worth a watch if you like Chris Elliott and his humour. If you don't, you probably struggle to enjoy it.
½ January 7, 2014
An unexpected comedy gem. It's ridiculous and absurd, but Chris Elliott will make you laugh! (First and only viewing - August 2013)
½ November 27, 2013
Is it underappreciated or is it just stupid? I don't know. I laughed about as much as I groaned, making a 2.5/5 rating appropriate to me.
November 24, 2013
one of my favorite movies growing up. I still enjoy it to this day.
½ October 11, 2013
Poor Chris Elliott. This was the film that was going to introduce the Late Night With David Letterman star to a new audience and bring him fame and fortune. Unfortunately the film has a stupid plot and no redeeming characters to be interested in, and Elliott spends the entire film being smug. Not very good, and Elliott dissapeared after that.
September 6, 2013
Insane multilayered stupidity peppered with subtle genius. The hat-tipping joke may be the best in The Cinema.
½ September 1, 2013
It's got a few "so weird it's funny" gags - but mostly it's just really bad.
June 4, 2013
take it for what it was intended to be.
April 10, 2013
The problem with this movie, aside from the fact that it was horrifically unfunny, was that Chris Elliot played a spoiled rich kid, instead of his usual wacky everyman. Therefore, his character was much harder to sympathize for, and the tragic outcome of non-hilarity had a firm base.
March 9, 2013
Super unfunny, despite Chris Elliott being a really funny guy.