Cabin in the Cotton - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cabin in the Cotton Reviews

October 6, 2015
Like "Grapes of Wrath", this is a power-to-the-people film which became common during the depression. With an average looking guy becoming the key player in a local power struggle, he could have played each side off upon the other and ended up as the master of both. Instead he maneuvers both sides into just getting along. A fore-runner of several ideas espoused by the website Democracy at Work.
October 4, 2015
good pre-code ta;lkie has the gr8 Davis line. 'I'd like 2 kiss ya but I just washed my hair'
March 17, 2010
I'd love to kiss ya...two
½ August 9, 2009
"Dont you just love sunday mornings..no one home to disturb us"..i do believe this quote came from this movie.
½ January 27, 2009
"I'd like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair."
I have no idea what she meant, but that Bette Davis has style.
½ January 3, 2009
Pretty condemning account of the South & its planter culture. Worth seeing for the very young Bette Davis who is gorgeous and probably the most interesting part of the film. Entertaining, but not great.
December 16, 2008
Hollywood is a place where sometimes bad things happen to good people. "The Cabin in the Cotton" was written by Paul Green, the first famous Southern playwright, who had won the Pulitzer Prize for drama just five years before; this was his first of only a few film scripts. One he wrote a little later was "State Fair" which was remade twice and did a good deal better than this melodramatic turkey. "The Cabin in the Cotton" just stinks of compromise; Green was ready to give America a real Southern story of some kind, but Hollywood couldn't deliver whatever that was, and this muddled effort is what Warner Bros. and Green managed to hammer out in the end. The worst decision was to cast name star Richard Barthlemess in the male lead. The characterization/situation is a little like his role in Tol'able David, made a decade earlier, and Warners was clearly counting on the memories of that very popular picture to drive interest in it. But Barthlemess is way too old for the role, and still employs silent film acting techniques -- heavily lidded eyes, jutting out his chin etc. - in the entirely unworkable context of sound. Even director Michael Curtiz seems off his game here, although there are individual visual moments of great beauty, he's not handling the actors very effectively, a common complaint lodged by contemporary reviewers against the director of "Casablanca." However, the news isn't all bad - this was one of Bette Davis' first films and she makes the most of it -- she's cast as a spoiled rotten wealthy Southern girl with a big mouth and a mean spirited attitude who makes a play for the hero. Needless to say, Miss Davis doesn't have any trouble with this role, and she is the main - perhaps the only - reason to watch "The Cabin in the Cotton."
½ November 23, 2008
Bette Davis is always worth tuning into, and she is great in this film. Fine early classic drama, good plot, well written. Although Davis is third billed, she steals the movie.
½ September 3, 2008
got a couple of good lines in it
June 27, 2008
Bette looking beautiful......and the famous "I'd kiss you but I just washed my hair" line....
jjnxn
April 6, 2008
Dated but worth at least one view for Bette's own personal movie line.
½ November 13, 2007
the film's not so great, but Bette Davis has great screen presence.
½ June 30, 2007
She's so young. Disturbing begging scenes.