Cabin in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cabin in the Sky Reviews

½ June 10, 2016
Fun musical comedy with some witty writing. Louis Armstrong's appearance makes it even better.
½ January 18, 2016
Important all-African-American cast adaptation of the Broadway musical with a Faustian, gospelized and Wizard of Oz twist(er). Early Lena Horne The great cast includes Louie Armstrong and Duke Ellington as well. Ain't it the truth.
August 11, 2015
Excellent classical musical with an all star cast
June 18, 2015
Almost every song is a showstopper in Vincente Minnelli's adaptation of the Broadway musical; Ethel Waters sings the title song, "Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe" and the Oscar-nominated "Takin' a Chance on Love," Lena Horne does "Honey in the Honeycomb" (reprised by Waters), and even Eddie "Rochester" Anderson gets to sing "Life's Full of Consequences" - a duet with Horne. Highly enjoyable.
July 14, 2014
This movie was delightful. I enjoyed the spiritual content as well as the 'ole time tap dancing. I will watch it again.
October 29, 2013
Good film, though it wears out it's welcome quite quickly with it's endless songs, religion-on-my-sleeve heavy handedness and Eddie Anderson gets on the nerves after a while. Still, Ethel Waters is great though. There's some bothersome stereotypical scenes. Especially involving when Duke Ellington is around, then the whole thing turns into a soundie.
½ July 3, 2013
Without question, the best film film with an all black cast I've ever seen. I've seen many 'black' movies that are joyless, sorry, & self-pitiable. Here, the characters have enough troubles, but their inner greatness shines through without the spike lee angst, hatred, & victim complex.

A Faustian moral tale. Brilliantly written & performed, in every facet. A treasure that will soon be part of my own collection.

Best line of the film: "The whole trouble is, I'm stuck with a bunch of B-idea men...all the A-boys is over there in Europe!" (Lucifer Jr. referring to his best devils)

Also, I think I saw Little Joe Jackson (apropos) & John W. Bubbles display an early incarnation of the moonwalk.

The only reason for the 1/2 star deduction is because there is an overload of songs, & not every one is necessarily a masterpiece, though none are at all bad.
January 2, 2013
I watched this movie from a historical perspective. In that regard, it was interesting. But I really could have done without Rochester's singing. He was great on Jack Benny's show, but not as a singer. Made me want to learn more about Ethel Waters. Had the pleasure of seeing Lena Horne perform her one-woman show when I was a kid, so my next movie will be Stormy Weather.
January 1, 2013
so stylish and lavish plus all star cast=good entertainment!
December 7, 2012
what a great throwback 5 star movie...movie
½ December 2, 2012
It was a nice classic old movie. Lena Horne is beautiful even in black and white. Very religious, but a good movie.
August 27, 2012
Hyggligt musikaldrama mellan himmel och helvete i en liten amerikansk stad. Helvetet ser klart mycket lockande ut med Luis Armstrong, Duke Ellington och Lena Horne. Den svenska titeln "Svart Extas" kan man skämmas för än idag.
April 11, 2012
This is sumthin me and my sis would look at over and over agian..... Oh Lil Joe
July 20, 2011
Cabin in the Sky is an exquisite film. It is about a compulsive gambler who dies during a shooting but gets a second chance to reform. Ethel Waters and Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Vincente Minnelli did a great job in his directorial debut. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the great music and awesome characters. Cabin in the Sky is a must see.
½ March 12, 2011
Pretty good. It's quite simple, and I'm not sure that the fact that it's all a fever dream is quite permissible, but the film is pulled off with energy and fun. The performances are good across the board, and the writing is quite funny in places. It's a good debut for Minnelli, and only confirms my suspicions that he was much better working in the Academy ratio (why he gets praise heaped upon him for his CinemaScope stuff I'll never understand).
March 10, 2011
A cross between melodrama, fantasy and comedy - much better and more timely than I expected it to be. Very enjoyable.
September 20, 2010
A musical without enough music.
August 26, 2010
I loved this movie the frist time I saw it.
August 1, 2010
the black man has nice moves
½ June 15, 2010
It's a little dated now, and the films lacks the dazzling punch, but the characters are very quirky and likable enough to keep you invested in this all black musical. Some of the songs are catchy, and there's a dance scene towards the end of the film where a guy dances up the stairs, and it is simply amazing. That scene by itself makes the whole movie worth recommending.