Caddyshack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Caddyshack Reviews

½ January 8, 2016
A useless movie that fails to cause laughter or entertainment to everyone who isn't a braindead american, I guess. Awful.
December 29, 2015
For a comedy that's basically just a series of gags randomly strung together a la Jerry Lewis' The Bellhop, this 1980 cult classic actually works out really well narratively (perhaps a lesson in good editing).

Harold Ramis' freshman directorial effort makes excellent use of its "supporting" comedic actors (as well as a goofy little gofer puppet) and casts them as cooky denizens in the world of the country club. Viewed from the perspective of the club's juvenile, golf course caddies, the audience is treated to some truly classic scenes wherein the likes of Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, and Ted Knight eat up scenery, stage brilliant slapstick, and over-act to brilliant, comedic effect. While often extremely juvenile and broad, the awe-inducing moments of inspired insanity in Ramis' script, and the improv stylings of greats Chase and Murray make this oddball comedy a treat for the funny-bone. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere..."
½ December 28, 2015
It's got non-stop laughs at every moment, what more can you want?
December 21, 2015
What the fuck were the critics thinking when they slammed this movie back in the summer of 1980. Bill Murray stole the show, but Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield were amazing too. If you are a male between the ages of 40 and 60 and can't quote at length from this movie, you had a deprived life.
½ December 20, 2015
Caddyshack is one of the 80s classic films that I wanna see for quite some time. So when I finally get to watch it, I felt a bit disappointed, but I still thought that it was a really good movie. The plot is just there, and the comedy is a bit hit and miss for me, mostly a hit that is. The golf scenes are entertaining to watch, and the gopher scenes are cute to watch which I really had a hard time thinking that it was either real, or a puppet. The characters are really good, and the script has some memorable lines. The acting is good, especially Rodney Dangerfield who is having lots of fun in this. There's not much to talk about for this, so I just enjoyed a bit from this, even if it wasn't as great as I thought was gonna be.
December 20, 2015
Classic '80s slapstick with a lovable, crude cast, "Caddyshack" will continue to entertain for decades and offers so many quotable moments.
December 13, 2015
I didn't appreciate Caddyshack the first time I watched it. This time I did. I think the film is amusing because it's ironic. The country club setting and wealthy characters create a classy, refined visual, but the story is driven by a dirty and juvenile energy. The caddies and the lead actors demonstrate with their own silliness how silly the elites' pretentious lifestyles are. The plot is almost non-existent and the three comedic leads barely interact with each other throughout the entire film, but the film is still undeniably entertaining somehow. Bill Murray's sequences are inane and hilarious, Chevy Chase is subtly clever and smooth and Rodney Dangerfield is obnoxious and obscene. These three mainly separate acts combine to create a something powerful, both comically and thematically. They all in their own way are a rejection of wealth and aristocracy, which makes it all the more interesting that they triumph over wealth at the end and the golf course, a breeding ground for the wealthy and entitled, is blown up.
December 8, 2015
The biggest problem with Caddyshack is its title. Before I get there let me assure you, I totally see the humor in this movie, and I laughed a ton. They have the magic of Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, and a comedic unsung hero in Brian Doyle-Murray. An endless supply of brilliant talent, so why in heaven's name do they try to center the story around the caddies?!? From what I understand they did dial back the amount of time spent on the caddies, but they needed to get even more brutal with their cuts and remove the caddies completely. There is not one funny moment or worthwhile scene that happens because a caddie is on-screen. Even the guy who is ostensibly the "protagonist" of the movie, Danny, is annoying and not needed. I'm not sure what the plot would look like if they tried to center it around the golfers, but plot is secondary in this kind of mad-cap comedy. I was impressed with how much of the humor holds up even now, and I really miss these days when every word that came out of Chevy Chase's mouth had the potential to make me double over in laughter. There just wasn't enough time spent with the comedians, and I had no interest or investment in the plot they decided to focus the movie around. Not a bad film, and I can see the sparkles of brilliance that cause people to have such nostalgic love, but I would recommend someone who hasn't seen the movie before just watch the best scenes online and avoid watching the whole thing.
December 7, 2015
Disjointed amusement.
December 4, 2015
I personally think this is overrated. None of the characters were like able and all had a very dark side (perhaps a look at society). It had some funny moments but does not rank with Rodney dangerfield's best
November 12, 2015
While a few of the antics the characters find their way into are quite funny, the rest of them are only mildly amusing.
November 7, 2015
With Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, and Rodney Dangerfield you can't go wrong. This one was often hilarious and very watchable. And this was one of only 2 or so really good Chevy Chase movies, even though he did many many films throughout his career. The only dry spell was the backstory of Danny and his girlfriend Maggie (played by the unknown, unfunny, and unattractive Sarah Holcomb), which I found incredibly boring and unfunny. But otherwise, the 3 comedy masters did a wonderful job. Even Ted Knight stepped up and turned his standard, pompous nitwit into a very funny character, Judge Smails.
½ November 7, 2015
Classic. A truly funny outing with a topnotch cast.
October 25, 2015
Caddyshack is a shotgun shell of comedy but it produces some of the most iconic moments of recent film history and a great and critiquing portrait of 60s-70s white, upper class culture. The result in endlessly watchable and continuously relevant.
September 15, 2015
Comedy Gold. Harold Ramis, Doug Kenny, and Brian Doyle Murray wrote what they thought was a funny script about caddies and then they cast it. Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Billy Murray shifted Ramis's focus and they basically improvised the movie with witty lines and arrogant quirks.
½ September 14, 2015
The plot doesn't really go anywhere until the end, but Billy Murray as a simpleton was great. I thought it was only okay.
½ September 12, 2015
There were like 3 legitimately funny moments. I like the setting, but it's just not very good or very funny.
½ September 11, 2015
plenty of laughs 2b had here
½ August 24, 2015
hilarious unscripted scenes. must watch
½ August 24, 2015
Though not always pleasant, it's actually quite juvenile, Caddyshack does offer some classic slapstick and a hilarious story involving a gopher and a groundskeeper.