Cadillac Records - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cadillac Records Reviews

August 25, 2012
Jeffrey Wright & mos Def(whose scenes needed expanding) were stellar.
½ August 22, 2012
This movie about music is proof that Knowles can act!
hunterjt13
August 12, 2012
A white record producer signs African-American musicians, and together the foundations of rock n roll are formed.
I suppose the lesson of this biopic is that when one isn't racist in a racist world, one stands to benefit. That is the only discernible advantage that Leonard Chess (Adrien Brody) has over others, yet we don't know enough about Chess or why he is as he is.
A commonality among these characters is their penchant for extramarital sex, but Chuck Berry's prison sentence notwithstanding, this behavior doesn't make a plot-driving point or a matter of serious conflict.
In the end, Cadillac Records is a music film, with the race relations subplot only tangential, so whether or not you like this film with depend upon whether you like the musical performances by Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters, Mos Def as Chuck Berry, and Beyonce Knowles as Etta James. I thought they were good, but I'm not a great judge.
Overall, the plot of this film doesn't do a lot - an odd combination of social commentary about 50s race relations and interpersonal affairs - but those of you who like the origins of rock n roll might find the performances, if not the story, compelling.
August 6, 2012
Me declaro culpable. Imposible que sea imparcial con esta pelicula. La historia de Chess records, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon, Hubert Sumlin, Etta James... puff, para ver/escuchar bien fuerte.
½ August 4, 2012
Led by the phenomenal performance of Adrian Brody (yeah, I was blown away), I'd have to say this was one of the best acted movies of all time. Incredible ensemble cast performances, and it was completely unexpected, because going into it, I didn't think I'd like it at all.
It was captivating, to say the least. If you love music and history, this film will keep you glued to the screen. As my friend said, he didn't want it to end, but it ended perfectly. I agree 100%. The actors in this film nailed it when they covered songs by Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Etta James and Chuck Berry perfectly. Well written, directed and edited. The soundtrack was great.
Best scene was in the studio when Etta James just sang a song without any emotion in her first take. Len Chess stopped her cold and told her the story of the song, from her perspective. When she sang it again, she started crying and put everything into it. She nailed it and it illustrated just how important emotion is to the interpretation of music. Fantastic movie, go see it!
July 22, 2012
The story is mostly fiction and they completely write Bo Diddley out of the Chess records story. Nonetheless, the portrayals of Muddy Waters and Leonard Chess and the others are fantastic. The musical performances in this film are some of the best.
June 20, 2012
Not a bad movie but there is times were it gets sort of boring. I thought everyone did good as far as acting goes. It is cool movie about some very good singers back in the day and the struggles they went through in their career. Actually most of them were musical legends like Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Even the great Chuck Berry. Cadillac Records is a tale of sex and rock n roll along with violence and race. It shows their careers in Chicago in the 50's and 60's. If you liked some of them singers then you will defanatly enjoy Cadillac Records. It is not the greatest movie about the life of singers but it's still worth the watch.
June 17, 2012
Really Great movie! Acting was surprisingly well performed.
June 12, 2012
Decent enough. Good cast. Jeffrey Wright is quite good, and I wish Mos Def had been given more to do as Chuck Berry (that's almost perfect casting). By the time Beyonce shows up as Etta James, the film feels 30 minutes too long already.
June 11, 2012
I have to see this movie I love Beyonce. From what I see she trully play an excellent etta James. O how I love b
June 2, 2012
Filme fantástico que conta um pouco da historia de grandes nomes do Blues e do Rock
May 27, 2012
I thought this movie was really interesting
May 26, 2012
Good Movie, but there is a lot of cursing.
May 19, 2012
i can't wait to see it!
MANUGINO
May 14, 2012
If you take the ride, you must pay the price.

Good but not so great. Cadillac Records is narrated by songwriter Willie Dixon played by Cedric the Entertainer. The film needs a narrator to compensate for the lack of a strong story arc. Nonetheless, Cadillac Records is worth seeing for the music and the recreation of a bygone era. Just don't expect any drama that will knock your socks off!

In this tale of sex, violence, race, and rock and roll in 1950s Chicago, "Cadillac Records" follows the exciting but turbulent lives of some of America's musical legends, including Muddy Waters, Leonard Chess, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Etta James and Chuck Berry.
½ May 13, 2012
Good portrayal of the era
May 11, 2012
They shouldn't have pretended that this had anything to do with chess
½ April 23, 2012
This movie was very disappointing. I think it had great potential but it fell short. It's supposed to be about the influence of all the great artists from Cadillac Records had to music but the story seemed to stray allot that the message didn't quite come through as strong as I thought it should have been. The mediocrity of the acting was frustrating since I know a few of these actors have done great work in the past. I wouldn't waste your time to watch this movie.
April 21, 2012
love , love , love this move I just love Etta James songs
April 20, 2012
Good history of the records business and what the artists perceived they were getting, often to their detriment.