The Caine Mutiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Caine Mutiny Reviews

½ February 12, 2013
Le gustan las peliculas sobre juicios? Es fanatico de Humphrey Bogart? Que espera para ver este clasico del cine en la que un grupo de marinos de amotinan ante el erratico comportamiento de su capitan, interpretado por Bogey. Las actuaciones son de primera linea: Bogart nos muestra un villano que alcanzamos a entender y a querer y Jose Ferrer es mas que esplendido como elmabogado que destroza al villano. Una obra maravillosa y un ensayo sobre etica y moral mas que estupendo.
½ February 12, 2013
½ February 5, 2013
A mutiny at sea film with a courtroom drama to finish it up. The Caine Mutiny is a good film with a strong performance in places by Humprhey Bogart. Not his best in my opinion but he shines brightest while on the stand during the courtroom section of the film when he reveals his mental issues to the court.
Fred MacMurray delivers another very strong performance in his interesting role as Lt. Tom Keefer who is the first officer to bring up his concerns about the captain & later shows his charcter. Perhaps the best scene in the film is delivered near it's end by the council for the defense. He raises some very interesting points on perspective, wrong & right. About character & the stories we tell our selves. For me this scene made The Caine Mutiny a cut above, some fine writing & acting here.
Some of my least favourite scenes focussed on a silly romance that felt shoe-horned into this film between Ensign Willie Keith & his singer girlfriend. It wasn't all bad and from another perspective added layer to the film.
Having said all that the film shines in the courtroom drama portion at the end. Is it one of the greatest films ever made? Perhaps in it's day but now The Caine Mutiny for me is a good film worth seeing again.
January 17, 2013
A great story of right and wrong, character, morals and the toll of war and law.
January 13, 2013
I know this film is the paragon of admiralty films, but it was also the Fred McMurray film that I found the most boring. As a female viewer, there was little I that I could relate to. Hey, I may have found why Cameron's "Titanic" had a romantic story in it.
November 13, 2012
classic WWII story post WWII
October 26, 2012
Conflicted emotions and loyalties, a conflicted captain, and a conflicted movie--Bogie loses his marbles...the strawberries are missing!!
September 25, 2012
A deeply affecting story is done justice by great performances from Bogart and Ferrer.
September 12, 2012
Top notch WWII war movie. Bogie is at his best. I have an HD copy and it's just outstanding. If you want a good flavor of the 2nd world war you couldn't do better.
½ August 31, 2012
A great old movie about the ethics of mutiny. The film plays like a tragedy, amplified by Humphrey Bogart's heart-breaking performance as a veteran naval commander succumbing to schizophrenia.
July 26, 2012
Humphrey Bogart's rich, complex, and simply excellent performance makes The Caine Mutiny a truly satisfying film. It mixes adventure with action and drama, and adds a bit of the courtroom thrills, staying relevant and mostly faithful to the novel. Even though it might be too lengthy at times, it has its special moments (like the intense scene during the storm, or the judgment day for Captain Phillip Queeg). Dealing with the problems of World War II and a difficult topic of mental illness it reveals weaknesses, in order to gain strength.
½ July 2, 2012
Bogart's performance is the only reason to watch this film, but makes it worth your while. The overall plot and acting is pretty weak, the script is okay, but Bogart's Queeg is memorable - especially his last scene..
June 16, 2012
A brilliant cautionary tale.
½ June 9, 2012
Excellent movie especially for a war film with the legal angle. This movie is similar in many ways to A Few Good Men.
April 23, 2012
Humphrey Bogart is amazing as Lt. Commander Queeg a veteran officer with teh US Navy during WWII who has seen too much action and may be mentally unstable. Movie really heats up in the last few scenes, but is overall a good film with great characters.
March 23, 2012
Excellent film. Humphrey Bogart is brilliant.
½ March 11, 2012
The only interesting aspect of this film is Queeg. All the other characters are bland pieces of cardboard.
March 6, 2012
Solid war film on corruption at sea in which a young new-comer (Robery Francis) to the fleet. He finds that while on board, the current captain (Tom Tully) is not pulling his weight around the ship, annoying him and other Lieutenants (including Fred MacMurray and Van Johnson). He is re-assigned to another job, and the position is taken over the Lieutenant Captain Queeg (Humphrey Bogart). That is when the problems and corruptions begin. Long but stellar film for which succeeds thanks to three major scenes: a typhoon at sea, the courtroom, and the climax at the party. Acting is adequate, surprisingly done best by Jose Ferrer, but script has sadly become a bit weak (one line that bothered me "boiled in oil"). Not a great World War II, nor does it contain one of Bogart's best performances, but one that is good enough for a viewing.
½ January 27, 2012
This is the movie which turned me into a Jose Ferrer fan. Though absent throughout much of it, his appearance in the role of defense attorney simply blows me away. Also, with Bogart as Captain Queeg, I get hooked with this almost from the get-go. If you like military-themed movies, I'd highly recommend this. However, I'd warn you that if you expect exciting battle scenes and such, you will be disappointed. In the same manner as "Mister Roberts", the story involves what happens 'behind the bullets'.
½ January 21, 2012
Not great (too much typical Navy sequences about honour and so on), but interesting by a few points, 1) a good interpretation of Bogart as a paranoid, although all its value is concentrated in a scene close to the end, 2) to watch the movie by with Michael Caine adopted his professional name.