The Caine Mutiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Caine Mutiny Reviews

February 3, 2014

Brilliant adaptation of Herman Wouk's book about
January 10, 2014
Deserves 5 stars if only for Bogart's speech, "Ah, but the strawberries! That's, that's where I had them." The emotion he expresses with his eyes and voice is brilliantly grave.
January 7, 2014
Some good court room drama, that took awhile to get to. Ferrer was impertinent, bogart neurotic, and macmurray was unloyal. It did show some of the best pro navy aspects to it, with the stirring of the guard aboard the air craft carrier. But it made me grateful for our armed forces and the work they do for us. The was a very humane piece, because it could happen to anybody.
December 6, 2013
Surprisingly entertaining movie about a bunch of sailors and their slightly off captain. Why is he like this, and is it enough to warrant a change of guard, even though it could be labelled as Mutiny? Great cast here led by Bogart as the captain, Van Johnson, and especially Fred MacMurray who actually has the most complex character out of all them. Interesting watch.
½ November 18, 2013
an incredible film. Bogart at his best with great support from the rest of the cast.
½ October 28, 2013
Fine acting on display by Bogart; that "strawberries" scene(s) is scary and sad at the same time. Robert Francis as the "main" character was very weak, though. They should have cut out every part of his romance with the girl, it was really out of place in this war/courtroom movie. And worst of all, it was just really boring and generic. Plus Robert Francis has no charisma at all, so any time spent with him alone with the woman just halted the film in its tracks.
½ September 1, 2013
This is a strong entry in the classic war drama genre, with less focus on the actual war than the people and minds (!) behind it. Despite a few slight drawbacks, I did enjoy the movie. Let's start with the bad stuff. A tad too patriotic for my taste, but aren't most American films ( especially from that period). I was also rather unimpressed by Robert Francis (whose career was ended by a plane crash too soon) who had the uncherished role of playing straight-hand to a square crew. His character serves as the axis for the audiences to be latched onto in order to follow the events on the USS Caine, yet, his character remains colourless and bleak, so does the performance. Bogart and MacMurray on the other hand are marvelous as always. It is a rare treat - even in modern films - to find characters so ambigious and that make it hard to decide whether you want to love or hate them, and here are two of them on one fancy reel of celluloid. Van Johnson does a good job as well, never saw him in a film before, I hope this wont be my last. Reading up on the background of its production, I learned that the film was supposed to be much longer ( i.e. - closer to the book) and it shows, the first third of the book feels utterly unnecessary when it comes to the storytelling of the film itself (the twist at the end being the exception), hence, it takes the film quite a while to start rolling in the deep and I wish they would have cut to the chase much sooner and make the tension last longer instead of bringing on the finale so swiftly. But what a finale it is. I am a sucker for courtroom drama, who isn't, and this one is carried beautifully by the actors and Bogart helming the class by a mile, great performance by the legend. All in all .... a tense and well-crafted film that could have been a tad better with a stronger lead and a script bold enough to let the literary original be just that and focus on what works on film. Recommended for fans of Golden Hollywood and war films.
August 26, 2013
The movie really surprised me, pleasantly surprised. While I like Bogey, he is by no means one of my favorites. I expected this movie to be much like The African Queen, which I think is a very good movie as well. But I found that I liked the movie even more then I liked TAQ. I always try to get out of watching The Caine Mutiny, I don't know why I like the movie more and more each and ever time I see it.
August 4, 2013
I finally got around to watching this. Unfortunately I've seen too many court martial movies before it, all of which I'm sure borrowed from the precedence set by Caine, that the impact is dulled considerably. Performances were outstanding all around, particularly Van Johnson (whom I always associate with lightweight musical fodder) and Fred MacMurray (who is one of the most underrated stars of Hollywood's Golden Age). Bogie is superb, but his nutso act cannot hold a candle to Fred C. Dobbs.
July 31, 2013
good old movie. Bogart and MacMurray play sniveling cowards in the film.
July 1, 2013
If you want a mutiny than just go ahead. Don't waste that much time on it.
½ May 30, 2013
One of Bogart's last roles, also one of his best.
April 19, 2013
A fabulous novel turned into film adaptation.... Bogart s best! Casablanca who?

The movie takes place on a destroyer-minesweeper in the Pacific during World War II. To the consternation of the Caine's crew, a popular captain (Tom Tully) is replaced by a disturbed despot named Queeg (Humphrey Bogart), who finds himself in over his head. As the stresses of command multiply, Queeg's paranoia and cowardice soon become apparent to Lieutenant Thomas Keefer (Fred MacMurray), a writer in civilian life. Keefer continually tries to convince Executive Officer Steve Maryk (Van Johnson) that Queeg is insane, but Keefer won't help Maryk when the Exec asks Keefer to help convince higher authority that Queeg should be relieved. During a typhoon, Queeg's poor seamanship nearly capsizes the Caine and crew members.
April 5, 2013
What do you think about spending the rest of your life with a monster like me?

A group of naval officers, with a diverse background of experience, begin a voyage with a new captain none of them are familiar with. Initially, they believe his ways are eccentric and erratic; but when the captain's erratic behaviors threatens the lives of the men on the boat, they decide to have a mutiny and take the boat over. The men will be forced to stand trial for their actions. Can they prove their decision was the right one?

"They're making a mistake scrapping this ship. The only thing holding the water out is the rust."

Edwards Dmytryk, director of The Young Lions, Crossfire, Mirage, Seven Miles from Alcatraz, Secrets of the Lone Wolf, and Golden Gloves, delivers The Caine Mutiny. The storyline for this picture is interesting and reminded me a little of A Few Good Men. The acting is fairly good and the cast includes Humphrey Bogart, Jose Ferrer, Van Johnson, Robert Francis, and Fred MacMurray.

"There are four ways to do things on this boat: the right way, the wrong way, the navy way, and my way."

I am a huge Humphrey Bogart fan and decided to give this film a shot despite not being a huge fan of boat/submarine plots. The storyline for this picture is nothing special; however, the acting is very good and the dialogue is entertaining. Overall, this is an above average film due to the writing and acting not the overall premise.

"It was designed by geniuses to be run by monkeys."

Grade: B
March 12, 2013
A brilliant tale of mutiny. Bogart, a veteran captain in the navy, suffers from paranoid dillusions and endangers the rest of his crew. A great change for Bogart who usually plays the cool headed loner.
½ February 12, 2013
Le gustan las peliculas sobre juicios? Es fanatico de Humphrey Bogart? Que espera para ver este clasico del cine en la que un grupo de marinos de amotinan ante el erratico comportamiento de su capitan, interpretado por Bogey. Las actuaciones son de primera linea: Bogart nos muestra un villano que alcanzamos a entender y a querer y Jose Ferrer es mas que esplendido como elmabogado que destroza al villano. Una obra maravillosa y un ensayo sobre etica y moral mas que estupendo.
½ February 5, 2013
A mutiny at sea film with a courtroom drama to finish it up. The Caine Mutiny is a good film with a strong performance in places by Humprhey Bogart. Not his best in my opinion but he shines brightest while on the stand during the courtroom section of the film when he reveals his mental issues to the court.
Fred MacMurray delivers another very strong performance in his interesting role as Lt. Tom Keefer who is the first officer to bring up his concerns about the captain & later shows his charcter. Perhaps the best scene in the film is delivered near it's end by the council for the defense. He raises some very interesting points on perspective, wrong & right. About character & the stories we tell our selves. For me this scene made The Caine Mutiny a cut above, some fine writing & acting here.
Some of my least favourite scenes focussed on a silly romance that felt shoe-horned into this film between Ensign Willie Keith & his singer girlfriend. It wasn't all bad and from another perspective added layer to the film.
Having said all that the film shines in the courtroom drama portion at the end. Is it one of the greatest films ever made? Perhaps in it's day but now The Caine Mutiny for me is a good film worth seeing again.
January 17, 2013
A great story of right and wrong, character, morals and the toll of war and law.
January 13, 2013
I know this film is the paragon of admiralty films, but it was also the Fred McMurray film that I found the most boring. As a female viewer, there was little I that I could relate to. Hey, I may have found why Cameron's "Titanic" had a romantic story in it.
December 4, 2012
One of only three movies in which the great Bogart was nominated for an
academy award, his Captain Queeg was unforgettable and is part of the lexicon. Based on Herman Wouk's book that justifiably won a Pulitzer Prize, this is a unique script with deep plot twists. Great music, and a great cast including Fred MacMurray, Robert Francis, Lee Marvin, Claude Akins, and Jose Ferrer, who stole the show at the end.