The Cake Eaters Reviews

• Apr 29, 2018

Mary Stuart Masterson directed this slow-moving drama.

Mary Stuart Masterson directed this slow-moving drama.

• Jul 07, 2017

Heart-warming, heart wrenching This is an emotional story about human love in a rural American setting. As such it will probably bring tears to your eyes. I know it did to mine. The script by Jayce Bartok and the direction by Mary Stuart Masterson are carefully composed to create a celebration of love that defies convention. BEWARE SPOILERS Georgia (Kristen Stewart) is a 15-year-old girl suffering from Friedreich's ataxia. When her to-be lover, cafeteria worker Beagle (Aaron Stanford), asks if she is going to get better, Georgia says, "No, this is pretty much as good as it's gonna get until my heart gives out." She has invited him into her bedroom to help her with her homework. At one point she says, "You can kiss me if you want to." Stewart plays the part with limbs all askew and dangling almost helplessly. Yet her face is so, so pretty and healthy looking that the contrast is striking. The next day they go to a motel. She is determined to experience love before she dies. The idea is so touching. Also sure to pull your heart strings is the older and mostly secret love affair between Easy Kimbrough (Bruce Dern) and Marg Kaminski (Elizabeth Ashley). Bittersweet is Guy Kimbrough's (Jayce Bartok) realization that his girlfriend Stephanie (Miriam Shor) has married and started a family in his absence. All of this could easily go from pathos to bathos to the maudlin except for the careful direction by Masterson and the fine acting all around. What I have been trying to figure out is why the movie is entitled "The Cake Eaters." What came to mind was Marie Antoinette's infamous, "Let them eat cake," but I couldn't see the connection. --Dennis Littrell, author of the movie review book "Cut to the Chaise Lounge or I Can't Believe I Swallowed the Remote"

• May 18, 2017

Very Scattered Movie. A disabled teenager on the hunt too lose her virginity, played by Stewart and not well at all. The guy she wants too lose it too is taking care of his elderly father, who's wife just past away. He's been cheating on his wife for years with a booze hag Who apparently is his dream girl. The so called bad ass musican brother pops in Bec he failed at being a rock star. Oh how bad ass he is with his guitar pick neckless and turtle tattoo!! Not! Not one character is likable. Just Yuck acting and pointless.

• Feb 19, 2017

This indie drama is fair; the story just doesn't have enough meat on its bones to fully draw you in. The story evolves too slowly and basically goes nowhere. Better than average performances make it watchable. I think Stewart does an admirable job with her role as a terminally ill teen. I don't understand why she is consistently bashed for her acting.

• Jul 24, 2016

Did the director take a screenplay and completely remake it? I saw nothing in this about Cake Eaters or even a small nod to such an idea. This is not Kristen Stewart's best role. The actor playing Beagle made the falling in love so quickly, seem viable. The movie ended with a good feeling though.

• Oct 31, 2015

My friends recommended it. I liked it--but I think I expected more. Good acting and direction.

• Aug 15, 2015

Not bad. Early role for Kristen Stewart.

Not bad. Early role for Kristen Stewart.

• Jul 08, 2013

just learned that mary stuart masteron made her directorial debut with this small indie slice of life movie so no wonder i subconsciously liked this movie ;) she is great in so many ways and i think she has a good career ahead of her as a director but at the same time i miss her in front of the camera but anyway this movie itself is quirky/edgy/ and has its own unique charm to it. it even made me like kristen stewart so that in of itself is interesting. haha. if you are looking for a family drama that isnt cookie cutter and shows families for how they really are- good, bad or indifferent- then i highly recommend this movie :)

• Jan 05, 2013

In her first feature film, Masterson creates a slice of life that is very believable (especially if you've ever seen The Jerry Springer Show), and often endearing. music is by duncan sheik.

• Nov 06, 2012

A fine directorial debut from Mary Stuart Masterson capturing the lives of several generations of families in small town USA. The very essense of an indie movie and in dealing with stuff which could have turned sickly... adult children not being told about a mother's death and a disabled Kristen Stewart's first sexual experience the film holds up strongly in serving a slice of real life. Well worth an evening or wet Sunday.