The Calcium Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Calcium Kid Reviews

December 12, 2017
Despite the negative critical reception this film received, I actually really enjoyed it - though I'm no critic. It's a lighthearted mockumentary that doesn't take itself too seriously, and even in all it's cheesiness and cliche (maybe because of it) it was fun and entertaining and that was enough for me.

For starters I really like Orlando Bloom - do I think he's the greatest actor in the world? No. Not even in the top 50, however I personally always enjoy his performances and this was no exception. Bloom is honest, likeable and even pretty funny on occasion. The mockumentary style is entertaining, almost giving off 'The Office' vibes at times. The cast is great, Mark Heap as the documentary director, Rafe Spall as Stan and Omid Djalili as Bush in particular are fantastic. I'd say the best way to enjoy this film is to appreciate it for the silliness that it is.
September 28, 2016
I loved it so much. it was so fuuny
½ October 19, 2013
A very funny mockumentary with Orlando Bloom (he's so young I wouldnt doubt if it were actually made years earlier). A guy working out in a gym gets picked to be a sparring partner for the champion, said champion breaks his hand on guy's head days before big bout. Guy is now in big bout. Thats basically the set-up for this story that follows this unlikely boxer for a week as he prepares for the big international belt fight. A mockumentary done RIGHT!
October 6, 2013
It starts as a bad movie then goes downhill for a wee while. Eventually it gets its act together because of the acting standard of Orlando. Supporting cast start popping up and this movie eventually becomes a well organized silliness. The photography is of the steady cam style, it is just unfortunate that it shakes a lot. Nibbles: Full Cream Guernsey Milk.
½ June 16, 2013
I love Oranldo Bloom, but this was a pretty stupid movie.
April 7, 2013
i love orlando bloom!
½ April 8, 2012
I liked this. A=it had orlando in. b-it was a good english comedy.
½ February 20, 2012
Orlando Bloom's movies have made over 240 million pounds combined. This films makes you wonder how he gets cast. One of the worst brit flicks ever committed to cinema.
½ November 18, 2011
a funny "mockumentary" that keeps you chuckling all the way through; that is, if you don't take it too seriously!
November 12, 2011
this movie needs to be put onto DVD
½ October 9, 2011
The movie is good-natured fun while it lasts ... ! But that i guess is the British element behind the flick ... since Bloom is pretty much playing the part of an innocent kid in a weird situation .. (stereotypical)
I have recently learn to accept that British humor is more intelligent and wittier than Hollywood .. and Calcium Kid is another example of that ...
½ October 3, 2011
Perfectly watchable

infinitely pointless
September 30, 2011
An excellent movie, a good laugh. Worth a watch
July 20, 2011
A Fun Film To Pass The Time, Nothing Special, But It Does Provide The Laughs It Promises. In My Opinion Didn't Like The Ending.
June 7, 2011
This mockumentary movie was laugh out loud funny. As a stand up comic, i do not like Omid Djalili , as an actor portraying a slimy selfish boxing manager, he was just hilarious. All characters were brilliant. The only thing that dissapointed me was the ending, as there was no fight. From the beginning i was looking forward to seeing that.
½ May 30, 2011
An average mockumentary.
May 27, 2011
This was actually pretty funny, I liked it at the time, dunno about now though.
½ August 21, 2010
thought this film was quite poor as the whole mockumentary layout didn't work did make me laugh once or twice but not enough to keep me amused throughout. the storyline was pointless and wasnt overly impressed.
½ July 29, 2010
I'm surprised at how low this movie is rated. As cheesy and cliché as it is, bloom actually has character and does a decent job of acting for once. The way the movie is made and the way it all has a laugh at the boxing world is all in good humour. I saw it as a satirical movie, whether it was meant to be or not, and I enjoyed it.
July 8, 2010
An underrated and very entertaining comedy!