California Dreamin' (Nesfarsit) (Endless) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

California Dreamin' (Nesfarsit) (Endless) Reviews

July 27, 2008
Quite a slow film - could have been edited down to half the length and been a much better film, but understandable under the circumstances. Picked up pace near the end, but the resolution seemed flimsy and unsubstantiated.
½ July 23, 2008
Par-delà les habituels éléments typiques (stéréotypés ?) d'un film d'Europe de l'est (folie, générosité, corruption des élites...), un film très prenant, souvent cocasse.
½ July 22, 2008
And good film it is. Great comical elements, good drama and underachieving Ass ante.
Local folks are exaggerated, yet killingly convincing.
½ July 21, 2008
Interesting commentary on American Military in Romania and resulting culture clash. All the individuals are after their own pieces.. Ending seems tacked on but that is understandable with the loss of the director, however the movies pace is slow, sloooww....
½ July 12, 2008
mon meilleur film depuis longtemps
y'a de tout dedans .
July 4, 2008
Good atmosphere in this film but the story doesn't really go anywhere and then it's over.
½ June 30, 2008
This is too long for what it mostly is, more amiable 60's era Milos Forman satire than dark political or existential epic. Still, it has its numerous small charms including the Romanian Elvis we see at the party.
June 21, 2008
Monica and David met, fell in love and were separated at last in 2 or 3 days.

When their bodies were connected, it looks like they will be like that forever. However in the end, you will find a love could last no longer than the length of a sex.

If you wanna keep it hot, then keep it short.

My favorite scene is their first "conversation". Monica can't speak any english. She brought her classmate to see David. This guy can speak english, monica needed his help to do translation.

"How old is she?"
"He wants to know your age."
"Tell him im 18"
"She says she is 18. But she's not."

"Ask him whether he has girlfriend"
"She ask you if you have girlfriend"
"Tell her she is cute. She's very very cute"
"He said he has more than one"

i was chuckling when i watched this. you can't complain that romanian guy was lying, because he told the truth. he was 'translating' true information between Monica and David. There is humor in this scene.

He and Monica came together at last, not David. He loves her. He taught Monica english first by teaching her the song "California dreaming"

All the leaves are brown,
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk,
On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm,
If I was in L.A.
California dreaming
On such a winter's day
June 13, 2008
A well acted, written, directed and superbly shot movie, but something just didn't meet my standards. Though maybe watching it again, in a better mood and more comfortable seat, might change my rating of this flic.
June 9, 2008
I agree that the film is flabby, but as it could have been, and as it stands, is a masterpiece.
There is always something to a film which leaves you hungry for a definite meaning.
Audiences, appetitive and glutted as they are, laugh at all the wrong moments in this film.
It is funny. And it is dark. But it is not "cruel". Here, violence is not an aesthetic. Nor is it an immersive hyperrealism, absorption in the experience itself, as in Eastern Promises. This is as true a "representation" of violence as one can find - think Cache.
It is not cheap or easy. It tears the very fabric of the film.
But this is also a cinematic loveletter. It charms and it grinds in equal measure. It is "quirky" but it is not trite, because its beffudlement comes from an honest juxtaposition.
I reiterate - a masterpiece. Must see more of this Romanian New Wave.
June 6, 2008
The kind of film that gives 'art house' a bad name. Not happy with the whole 17 year old thing either, weird 'out of nowhere' violence but I can see why the french critics might like it..
May 30, 2008
Fine effort that obviously wasn't finished by the maker, very flabby. Still it has its moments, it can safely wait for the dvd.
May 25, 2008
Cool story. Too slow going, a lot of mediocre scenes and too few really great scenes. Well put together in the end and stuff, but it wasn't enough to make it an classic for me. A part of me liked it a lot, but the rest of me found it OK.
½ May 25, 2008
Un film roumain pittoresque et burlesque très réussi. Décidément ces Americains, dès qu'ils passent quelque part, ils laissent le chaos...
May 25, 2008
There is a really powerful movie in here - in fact, the footage could have taken it in several different directions once tightened up. It is a crushing tragedy that Nemescu died before being able to finish his edits.
April 29, 2008
very good and funny, shows off the difference in mentality between the west and the Balkans.
April 27, 2008
i laughed my head off :D
½ April 24, 2008
Razor sharp Romanian comedy about a group of American soldiers who get stuck at train station in Romania while delivering NATO supplies during the Kosovo conflict in 1999, and must deal with the increasingly ridiculous ways the rural tries to welcome them and show off their tiny town. Director Cristian Nemescu masterfully balances humor, drama, and romance, with the wonderfully deadpan tone we have come to expect from Romanian filmmaking. A very good film indeed.