California Typewriter Reviews

• Jul 09, 2019

Surprisingly entertaining documentary with very likable people. I guess this movie should come with a disclaimer or a warning: This film may show minorities and other Americans saying positive things about the United States. If your one of those people who have a difficult time digesting such things, you should probably skip this film. Otherwise, it's a treat. I'm uncertain why the filmmaker felt the need to validate the theme by interviewing celebrities, but I guess that's the in thing. Trust me, this film is VERY interesting, and celebrates the concept of individualism, innovation, and hard work, from the man who repairs typewriters to the musical act that uses only typewriters.

• Aug 07, 2018

A very interesting film, I truly enjoyed it. Was surprised about Tom Hanks passion but not surprised about Sam Shepard.

• Mar 11, 2018

While admittedly a self serving documentary about an anti-technology fad, there is enough genuine quirkiness and cross-stratus interaction to make this interesting to everyone. A little longer than needed, we're taken into the lives of various aficionados to explore a once ubiquitous thing that is today little thought about. The trivia and history tell their own story though it would have been helpful if narration pulled us along for the more psychological aspects of the subjects. Put down your smart phone for a second and realize the way it used to be.

• Feb 17, 2018

It dips and skims through the world of typewriters, their history, users, artists, fans and lives. It could so easily have gone wrong with self-important talking heads and smug hipsters, but somehow it managed to avoid the pitfalls. Both the staff of "California Typewriter Shop" and the typewriter part artist carried this for me, but I was totally intrigued by the concept that using typewriters is akin to the slow food movement in cooking.

• Jan 04, 2018

Fabulous documentary. Meditation on creativity and the world of yesterday, The words of many interviewed here resonated with me.

• Dec 01, 2017

I'm leaving a negative review because it features Tom Hanks in the first few minutes. This led me to believe it was going to be good and perhaps a cool drama or something. Tom Hanks doesn't feature again, there is no story. It's basically a very dull documentary about typewriters - I got to about 40 minutes in. (And I only lasted that long because I thought Tom Hanks would turn upagain - he doesn't) - don't waste your time, unless you love typewriters

• Oct 06, 2017

I want a red typewriter! I still have a hybrid typewriter/word processor in my closet...if I had a place to put it I'd bring it out. As a baby boomer who actually took a typing class in college and whose Mom had a couple of old Royals in addition to an IBM Selectric, this movie touched me unexpectedly. And it was bittersweet to see Sam Shepard.

• Oct 01, 2017

Fantastic movie!! One of the best documentaries ever!

Fantastic movie!! One of the best documentaries ever!

• Sep 21, 2017

this movie was so well done and so enlightening!

this movie was so well done and so enlightening!

• Sep 11, 2017

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate this film, but my husband and I loved it. It reminded us that for the writer the old familiar clacking-clack of the keys really DID take on a rhythm that sounded progress and got the creative juices flowing. Everyone coming out of the theater was talking about getting one. But it's also a meditation on the intrusiveness of technology in our lives. We can't do without technology - it brings much good in our lives - but no one needs to be "online" every minute.