Callas Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Callas Forever Reviews

July 11, 2014
last costume period bio-pic
January 3, 2014
This film is directed by legendary Italian director Franco Zeffirelli but doesn't really finds it's own pace. Partly fiction, partly homage to the greatest singer of all time, the film is a mix of hit & misses but ends up feeling more like a cheap TV drama than an actual theatrical release. too bad the material was interesting and the film could have been better, probably the fault to a small budget.
½ July 26, 2013
Great movie for a great Diva!
April 1, 2013
Fanny Ardant is phenomenal as the legendary sensation, Maria Callas. Ardant captures Callas' passion and larger then life personality beautifully. Bravo!
January 14, 2013
Zeffirelli, who had worked with Callas on numerous occasions, makes this work out of love for his muse. The film is based around a what if situation: what if a filmmaker had asked her to film a version of her own version of the Carmen using audio from a previously recorded performance. The film however does not rank among the filmmaker's best, his personal feelings do not really translate so well to an audience, though the photography is still masterful and the art direction a treat.
½ September 8, 2012
Boring, stupid characters, asinine plot, not enough opera.
May 14, 2012
muy buen relato de los ultimos momentos de la callas y como de la decadencia de la GRAN ARTISTA QUE FUE, surge de nuevo hacia su despedida pero no de los escenarios si no de la vida!
½ April 13, 2012
If you're a fan of Callas or opera, or possibly even just want to be famous, this film is worth seeing, and gives you a peek at the hardships and joys of being famous, and how one deals with losing their talent or ability through age.
½ July 14, 2011
Zeffirelli's tribute to his friend is uneven. The music is wonderful. Fanny Ardant is wonderful as Callas. But, the whole subplot with Jeremy Irons' boyfriend was boring and almost entirely unrelated to the rest of the movie. It would have been more interesting if this had been a full retrospective or had given more time to her trying to recover her voice, but that was kind of glossed over at the end of the film. No matter. I still liked it because I got to hear Maria Callas recordings for almost two hours.
June 30, 2011
No es una gran pelÝcula, pero es una sobre la Callas!!!
January 30, 2011
fanny + callas = love.
December 23, 2010
2: The music is spectacular, but the film could use some work. I would love to see the film within the film that is Carmen though. I think Fanny Ardant had to be a little too Callas to be as mesmerizing as she usually is. There are few actresses out there that can command the audiences attention as she does. Irons is perfectly adequate, but it neither his greatest performance nor his greatest role. The picture kind of fizzles in the end as well. It feels as if they tried to stretch a story out of practically nothing. One gets the sense it could be a great picture, but it never quite hits its stride.
August 22, 2010
Fantastic way to end the weekend!
½ May 11, 2010
Splashy portrait of the legendary diva, with a majestic performance by Fanny Ardant, but lesser than its stage counterpart, "Master Class".
½ December 24, 2009
Fanny Ardant may have here the worst performance by an actress that I personally have ever seen. Imagine Sandra Bullock playing Maria Callas. Imagine it. This has got to be an example of high culture and big names bamboozling gullible opera queens.
½ July 27, 2009
just checked this out because of Callas being in the title. But I rather enjoyed it. Maria Callas sure dressed with style and poise in Chanel.
June 7, 2009
i liked the characters, liked the story and more of all loved the soundtrack of course! Fanny Ardant looked really alike but was much more beautiful then original Callas, whom i am a fan of! a good movie for Callas fans...
May 9, 2009
Fantastic!!! I don't know why some many reviewers gave this movie low marks. Franco Zeffirelli has directed some of the most artistic films of the 1960s and 1970s. (and this is one of them!!) I like opera. I love Maria Callas (I have 35 Vinyl lp of her) I love all the films of Franco Zeffirelli. I love the opera Carmen. I love Paris France. I love this film. The film has problems see some of the other reviews. This film is a lavish and loving tribute to Callas who was Zeffirelli's long time friend in Italy and France. MUSIC LOVERS OPERA LOVERS CALLAS LOVERS WATCH THIS MOVIE AND ENJOY!!! five stars
March 13, 2009
Not knowing anything more about Maria Callas than that she was an internationally renowned opera sensation, I was particularly interested to see this one. Not really a biographical film, this movie, as it states in the blurb on the back of the DVD case, is director Franco Zeffirelli?s interpretation of what Callas? last months might have been like if things had gone differently. But, I wondered differently how? After watching the film, I got the impression that even though Zeffirelli worked often with Callas, the film is more about what he personally would have liked Callas to do with her last days, instead of apparently what she did do...which was pretty much...well, nothing. The film is a glorious tribute to Callas as a singer and as a ?diva.? French actress Fanny Ardent does a great job of capturing both Callas? torment at the lost of her voice and the admiration she thrives off once she becomes ?famous? again. This film is not especially for someone who does not like or have even a mild appreciate for opera since much of the movie revolves around Callas doing a film production of Bizet?s Carmen. Of course, since Zeffirelli has directed many, many opera productions, he knows how to stage, light and shoot the musical parts. But even if you think you don't like opera, between Zeffirelli?s beautiful direction and the sound of Callas? voice in its prime, you might just find that opera is one of your hidden loves. If any film can bring that passion out in you, this one can.
February 24, 2009
Good work. One of my favourites.