Callas Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Callas Forever Reviews

February 13, 2009
Great performance for Fanny Ardant and Jeremy Irons but there's something not credible around Callas' character and the story...
January 31, 2009
One of her best performances.
November 5, 2008
This isn't a biopic, but rather a fantasy structured around Maria Callas' last days and the decline of her voice. An interesting meditation on growing old, the ability to create your own myth and the real person who lives behind the curtain. Women may die but divas live forever!
October 20, 2008
I love this movie! Although I am not an opera fan, Fanny Ardant makes me love Maria Callas' work, her spirit, her legacy! The film is so beautiful, it makes you feel as though you're there!
September 21, 2008
I really like Fanny Ardant...she's got the stuff! Jeremy Irons's performance was very believable. Any movie directed by Franco Zeffirelli is worth watching!
½ July 10, 2008
I was nterested in Calls life and this movie it' good point of departure...but it's not so excellent even if Fanny Ardant plays very well Maria. I don't know...
½ July 10, 2008
May 31, 2008
Despite the intriguing topic and remarkable cast, this film is strangely lifeless.
May 25, 2008
Good film. The opera set pieces are gorgeous.
½ May 22, 2008
A fictional depiction of the aging opera diva who agrees to do a comeback. A beautiful, touching movie. Fanny Ardant is fantastic in the leading role.
May 16, 2008
Fanny Ardant tried proving she can handle roles other than flirtatious woman, though not as perfect as the latter. A charming Jeremy Irons & a sexy Gabriel Garko. The several [Carmen] scenes inside are kinda wonderful as well. Not a very good legendary movie in all.
April 13, 2008
I thought it was a a poignant story, beautifully told and multi-layered...full of lessons on love, life and loss. Also, Fanny Ardant shows true class. Callas, as portrayed by Ardant, must have been the original Diva.
March 28, 2008
El├ęgant et sensuel.
March 5, 2008
Briliant Ardant & Irons.

Zeffirelli's magical touch!
½ February 24, 2008
If it weren't for the OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD performance by the fantastic Fanny Ardant, this would be a pile of trash. It's a regular, old-fashioned movie that took a terrific subject (Maria Callas comeback) and totally wasted it. Fanny Ardant devours the role completely and creates magic on stage, on the studio and in front of the camera. Whenever she is monologuing or simply breathing in front of the camera, it's as if there was no movie at all: just Maria Callas.

4 stars for Fanny Ardant's performance. Without her, it would be a 1 star movie. So I'll go with 3 and a half.
½ February 20, 2008
Callas played by Fanny? Sounds like a must-see!
December 26, 2007
fanny ardant is excellent in this potrayal of the opera legend ... fantastic score
December 20, 2007
love it one of the best autobiographical films ever:)
November 24, 2007