Calvin Marshall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Calvin Marshall Reviews

October 6, 2013
Lundgren's screenplay beautifully juggles the story's alternately comic and poignant elements and renders all three main characters with surprising depth. I say RENT IT!!!
May 8, 2012
The most perfect game in the world...
March 27, 2012
I put this movie off for a long time, because it was supposed to suck. Well, it didn't. Not at all. This was a rather enjoyable, rather well done little movie. Alex Frost (Calvin) reminded me ALOT of a young John Cusack. Nice movie...
February 20, 2012
This one really surprised me. Within the first few minutes, I came pretty close to stopping it and picking a different one from Netflix.

Calvin was a great character to root for, as he stubbornly keeps trying to make the college baseball team. Having no real athletic skills, he quickly becomes the laughing stock of his peers.

The story really develops the three main characters: Calvin, Calvin's coach Doug, and Tori, who plays Calvin's volley-ball-playing romantic interest. The coach really reminded me a lot of my freshman baseball coach, Coach Alvarado. And the chemistry between Calvin and Tori seemed very raw and authentic. I don't think she was smoking hot, but that's exactly how the girls seemed in high school or college.

A great movie, which smoothly juggles the baseball, coming-of-age, and romance elements all in one.
February 8, 2012
Steve Zahn is really the best and funniest thing about this movie. Not used to seeing him in roles like this, but he's pretty likeable in whatever he does. Alex Frost isn't very charismatic. I've seen him in another movie ("A Vicious Mind") playing a pretty similar role. Frost is the title character, Calvin, who dreams of playing in the MLB but can't even make the cut on a junior college squad. His crabby, cussing coach, Coach Little, has pity on him and keeps him around as a morale-booster/mascot.
Calvin, while sweet to Tori, just isn't very sympathetic. Most of the time when he's with her I notice he talks mostly about himself and kind of brags. He lies, he's deluded about his own abilities. Yeah, I just don't feel much for him as a lead character.
But I do like the theme of the story. Calvin tries and tries to make his dream come true but he's simply not good enough for a MLB career. However there are smaller instances in his life (helping a little league team and playing for another team) which showcases what he's good at. It's disappointing to him that things don't work out the way he wants but he learns to roll with the punches and accept small defeats.
September 6, 2011
I will probably pass on this one.
August 21, 2011
I JUST LOVED IT! No other words to describe this light, heart-felt and mesmerizing movie of friendship, love and baseball!
August 18, 2011
The Trailer is rather than confusing, because by it one can assume it is a comedy about a dreamy baseball fan who loses his way to make him a good player of the sport he truly loves. Instead, it is a drama when the lead character confuses even more with his rarites. but, somehow i found it interesting. Alex Frost is a good Actor, as well as Michelle Lombardo. But i couldnt stand Zahn same acting shouting and loser style.
blkbomb
July 21, 2011
"Ambition Charm Delusion"

Calvin Marshall is the name of the movie and of the lead character. Calvin has high hopes of being a baseball superstar, but he can't even play for a little Junior College team. The coach let's him hang around though because he doesn't have the heart to tell Calvin that he just doesn't have any talent.

This is by no means a great movie. It's an average one at best, but it has a lot of likable qualities. First, all of the characters are likable. Calvin is a hard working and nice kid who loves baseball. The girl he likes Tori is a beautiful, charming, and nice star volleyball player, who is going through a tough time. Coach Little, played really well by Steve Zahn, is a hard ass on the field with his players and a drunk off the field. But we see what he's really like when he talks to Calvin. He may not admit it, but he likes having Calvin around.

Overall I enjoyed watching Calvin Marshall. It's not a movie that you feel the need to see more than once. It doesn't have a star-studded cast. It's not a big budget comedy with tons of laughs. It's just a charming little Indie Drama/Comedy that has a heart and is easy to like. If you need to kill an hour and a half, it's not too bad. If you never see it, well, that wouldn't be to big a deal.
MANUGINO
½ July 3, 2011
A hit comedy about losing

Great movie, I really enjoyed it. It was a smart but funny movie with a nice message. The film Calvin Marshall transcended your typical sports film to convey the choices we all face in life when it comes to following our dreams, our talents, and what is important in our life. It's not a fairytale story, or the story of the kid from the wrong side of the tracks overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, or the story of the washed up veteran making an improbable comeback, this is the story of everyman. Steve Zahn absolutely nailed his character and put up one of his best performances, if not the best performance, of his career. I love sport movies!

Calvin Marshall's childhood dream of playing Major League Baseball is in serious jeopardy as he can't seem to make the Bayford Bisons Junior College team. A poignant comedy about Calvin's deferred dream and the people in his life who want him to succeed.
May 15, 2011
This is really no better than average, but Steve Zahn as a foul-mouthed, drunken, junior college baseball coach makes it worthwhile. What I couldn't wrap my head around was why Calvin was so good at softball and so horrible at baseball.
April 26, 2011
I agree with a previous poster... Frost looks so much like John Cusack it's hard to even pay attention to the rest of the movie.

Steve Zahn was pretty great, but something seems kinda skimpy about the movie over all. I can't quite describe it other than to say that it felt sorta under-developed. But I'd watch it to get a sense of Frost now to see where he started to compare to where he goes as an actor (like an early Ryan Gosling); I think he has loads of potential.
½ April 11, 2011
Interesting mix of heart, humor and love.
½ March 18, 2011
Steve Zahn saves the day. Alex Frost as a John Cusack wanna-be does his best to portray a romantic baseball idealist. The script falls apart in the second half and could have used some serious editing to keep the dream alive.
March 7, 2011
It's like Rudy but for baseball. And Steve Zahn hasn't been this good since That Thing You Do.
½ March 1, 2011
Yet again another baseball movie. What else would you expect? In short it's "Say Anything" thrown in with some baseball. Not a bad story but the execution fell short. Since the Indie boom took place the term Indie has been more of a style then actual being independently financed. But in the case of this film the lack of a major studio's budget is evident. Of course it will make it's way into my baseball movie collection.
November 22, 2010
Heart. One word that means so much, not only in this movie, but in every aspect of life. Anybody can be a great athlete, musician, politician, or teacher, but the really, really great ones stand out because of their heart. From Bill Russell to Jack White to Abraham Lincoln to my 10th grade Biology teacher Mr. Miller, they all had heart and were separated from their peers because of it. And if you have heart, sometimes you don't have to have all the talent in the world, as is the case with Calvin Marshall. Calvin is played by 23 year old Alex Frost, whom you may (or may not) remember from Gus Van Zandt's Elephant, or the main bad kid from Drillbit Taylor. Here he plays a, lets face it, a pretty terrible baseball player, but with hopes and admirations of being a professional baseball player. The other problem is, he's been cut the past three years by his junior college baseball team. But this year is different, and he manages to pull at his Coach's heartstrings and talks him into sort of being on the team. Coach Little sees a bit more in him than his assistant coach, but knows that he'll never quite make it. Steve Zahn is down right amazing in his portrayal of a former Minor League player, settling for a coaching job because even he wasn't good enough for the Majors. If anybody knows what it takes to get there, its Coach Little, as he attempts to prepare Calvin for options in case he can't get there either. But Little wasn't quite prepared for the "heart" that Calvin proves he has and Calvin wasn't quite prepared to fall in love with the new star volleyball player, Tori Jensen. Tori is played by Michelle Lombardo, a very tall, beautiful brunette who got her start in the Adam Sandler film Click. Tori has turned down several 4-year offers from major universities to stay home with her parents as her Mother is sick and dying. This for me, was one of the more sad things I remember seeing lately. I couldn't help but tear up as she sat by her Mother's side getting her drinks and being there for her. Eventually Calvin and Tori start to see each other and finally hook up, but Calvin has fallen in love with her. Sadly for Calvin, Tori doesn't feel the same. Everything in his life seems to have taken a turn for the worse. But when the worst is presented in front of us, those with heart have the ability to power on and see things through. And like I've said, Calvin definitely has heart! The ensamble cast also features Jeremy Sumpter (Sasquatch Gang), Andrew Wilson, Diedrich Bader (!) and the always lovable Abraham Benrubi in great supporting roles and Gary Lundgren writes and directs his first feature film. With all those parts all working in unison, its no wonder this film works on so many levels. Ross has done it again!
November 9, 2010
Alex Frost looks like a young John Cusack. Steve Zahn has a five o'clock shadow that George Michael would be jealous of. And Michelle Lombardo plays volleyball in slow motion. All of this math = unnecessary but tolerable movie.
½ October 30, 2010
The film is somewhat rife with cliche, especially near the beginning, but it is enjoyable nonetheless. Probably due to the fact that I love baseball.
October 30, 2010
Hard to explain. Calvin is both a good and also a poor athlete. He is both humble and conceited about his abilities. His coach is both a butthole and also a good person. His girlfriend hates him for lying about his lack of skills and also finds him inspirational. He is the laughing stock of one team and the hero of another. His life is in a rut but he moves forward. Charming!