Can We Take a Joke? Reviews

• Nov 17, 2018

This is an excellent documentary about an incredibly important topic. Freedom of speech matters even if it hurts your feelings. I genuinely believe that the low tomatometer rating is because people are offended by the subject matter.

• May 03, 2017

Struggles to make it to feature length, but has some interesting things to say about the thin-skinned that still show up at comedy clubs...

• Mar 28, 2017

Excellent documentary highlighting the ongoing struggle for 1st Amendment rights - but from a comedic angle. Interviews include some of my favorites including: Penn Gillette, Lisa Lampanelli, and Gilbert Gottfried. If you love comedy and free speech - this is a MUST see film!

• Mar 03, 2017

As a former journalist who has worked for the ACLU twice, you won't be surprised that I think this message is overdue. I think more speech, not less, is always better for society (even when some of that speech may be offensive). This documentary does a good job of exploring that in the realm of comedy. Grade: A

• Jan 29, 2017

"They've become what they hate" and "In the olden days you actually had to put a coat on and go outside to get your hands dirty". This film documents the way new fascist lynch mobs are taking away freedom of speech and controlling language and conversation by being chronically offended over everything.

• Sep 08, 2016

Loved it, especially the VO by the main mommy, the water champ Christina Pazsitsky... but seriously this film is amaze, and very important...

• Aug 26, 2016

It's very telling when the overwhelming majority of negative reviews are spawned by an eerily homogeneous group of pseudo intellectual sycophantic supposed critics who mendaciously misrepresent the contents of this film with specious claims and comments that demonstrate poor attentiveness, abysmal ignorance and millennial bias of the most infantile kind.

• Aug 17, 2016

I don't even need to watch this to know that it's a bunch of conservative douchebags who don't know how to tell jokes without being bigots.

• Aug 15, 2016

Some of the critics are saying that it would've been better if it included the "other side"....presumably, that would be the people who can't take a joke. I disagree...I think we see and hear those people every day, on TV, radio, and in our everyday lives. Watching this is a welcome 70 minute respite from them. That's what makes it worth watching, not the "insight" that free speech is good or that words don't hurt. Anyone with a brain already knew that.

• Aug 13, 2016

Excellent documentary but also frightening just how much censorship still exists in 2016.