Canadian Bacon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Canadian Bacon Reviews

½ October 14, 2015
There's probably a reason this is Michael Moore's only attempt at comedy. One funny line in the whole film. Not good for John Candy's last film.
½ May 7, 2015
Thought it was worth giving this movie another chance but it wasn't. It's such a shame that this movie is one of John Candy's last. He had such a great career in the 80's and early '90s and then he got to end things with this shitslopper and "Wagons East" which is even worse. Sure, there are a few witty jokes going on here but all in all it's still not funny after 20 years.
April 5, 2015
ok, this was pretty dumb. i'm sure they could have come up with a much better satire than this. and i'm Canadian!
½ March 19, 2015
John Candy's last movie is pretty funny. C+
January 28, 2015
I have no idea why this movie was panned so badly. I probably like fewer movies than anybody in America and I found this movie hysterical. OK, it did not rely on constant use of the "f" word or toilet humor to get laughs, which may have disqualified it for most audiences, but it was extremely witty and occasionally hilarious. There were so many jokes on so many levels. Maybe the critics didn't get half of them? It starts funny and actually gets funnier as it goes along.
½ September 22, 2014
Since most Canadians have a good personality, this parody of ourselves will no doubt have Canucks in amusement.
½ September 13, 2014
Candy deserved a much better last picture than this mess.....he will be missed but always remembered.
August 30, 2014
Some of this is hysterical! Worth watching just for the star power.
½ August 28, 2014
It wasn't THAT bad ...
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/7/2008)
June 13, 2014
Michael Moore should stick to documentaries.
April 23, 2014
I found the humor amusing and there some laugh out loud funny moments. A cute movie that was entertaining.
½ March 14, 2014
Pokes fun at Canada (as a Canadian, I can take a joke, and found it amusing) but even funnier still is how much it makes fun of America with an abundance of stereotypes. An amusing political satire that could have been much better, but I still enjoyed it. Quite the cast too. 6.5/10
March 6, 2014
Too funny! Excellent
February 9, 2014
The movie was shot in the fall of 1993 and was not released til the fall of 1995, I don't know why wait for two years for it to come out, maybe because to release the awful Wagons East! first since John Candy finished that around the time of his death. I don't know and care, but both were Candy's last movies. Directed by documentary man Michael Moore, Candy plays American sheriff Bud Boomer who leads an "invasion" of Canada. Because he prefers American beer over Canadian beer. I know strange plot. Why is it called CANADIAN BACON if it doesn't talk about bacon? Beats me, well the movie was still good but sadly Candy's last.
John Franklin Candy, 1950-1994
January 4, 2014
In a rare movie by documentary maker Michael Moore, Canadian John Candy plays an American sheriff who goes all pro-American anti-Canada when the President creates a fake fear of Canada to improve his falling approval rating (Sad to see this was Candy's last role). This film is a good commentary on the way propaganda is used by the media and how it can lead people to do dumb things. Great cameos from Aykroyd and Belushi. It has a bit of Roger and Me in it when a local weapons manufacturer closes its factory to move overseas, that doesn't really have a purpose other than to give a good resolution to the film. This movie is dumb, but in a good kind of way. Surprised it didn't get the love it should. Though I don't like Moore's more recent efforts, this is an enjoyable movie that doesn't preach too much but ends up being a fun take on American pride and media propaganda.
December 29, 2013
Has it's lovable moments but as a whole a pretty poor showing.
August 23, 2013
this movie is all over the place and for a comedy is overly caught up in its own self importance and the humor is here and there. which explains the movie itself it is just there. :(
August 14, 2013
Watched before July 2012
½ August 12, 2013
Some may be turned off by the fact that this movie is made by Michael Moore, but it's not as liberal as one might expect. Yes, the cheif villian is a defense contractor, but what do I care? A bigger issue is how dated this movie is. It is firmly planted in the years just after the Cold War when America had no easily identifiable enemies (it even makes a joke about how minor a threat terrorists are...if only). Most the humor comes from either making fun of Canadians or America's ignorance of Canada. Both are great targets in my book, but others may not agree.