Candleshoe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Candleshoe Reviews

June 14, 2010
Candleshoe almost plays like National Treasure crossed with Anastasia. It isn't too fast or noisy, and there is some childish fun to be had, but this is strictly for kiddies. Put it on if you need to sedate some 9-12 year olds for 100 minutes or you're on a Jodie Foster binge.
½ April 27, 2010
Excellent family fare with a brilliant comic performance by David Niven. If you liked Dreamworks' "Anastasia" you'll love this movie as the plot lines are virtually identical. Young Jodie Foster plays her then-usual role of tough street kid who may--or may not--be the heiress of a huge estate. Even if she's not, she still pretends to be so in order to look for the pirate treasure buried somewhere on the estate. You can figure out the rest. Well worth watching.
½ February 13, 2010
Jodie Foster was a talented child actor and is even better as an adult. I'm sure I would have enjoyed Candleshoe more as a kid.
February 7, 2010
I thought it could have been better, but its a good Disney movie.
½ January 31, 2010
I'd never even heard of this film before- classic Disney live action at its best!
½ November 22, 2009
I remember watching Candleshoe as a child and always really enjoying it. Everyone plays a key role throughout the film and Jodie does a really good job as Casey/Margaret (at the time she appeared in a number of Disney films). David Niven is splendid in the role of Priory, among his other roles as characters used to amuse Lady St. Edmund (he is in another of my favourites, Murder By Death).If you are looking for a great Disney live action film with adventure, action, comedy, and mystery, I highly recommend Candleshoe, as it is always a delight to watch.
½ November 1, 2009
A Disney classic with 70s charm. Jodie foster plays a marvelous gamin turned-heiress in this charming and delightful film. Great pacing, heart-warming characters and a pleasure to watch time and time again.
½ October 6, 2009
A good live-action Disney movie, and Jodie Foster is great even when she's young.
April 27, 2009
I'm not sure how I missed this one when I was younger. It was delightful! Complete with treasure hunt and madcap comedy, it also has an interesting plot carried by great character actors.
April 16, 2009
:fresh: [CENTER]You know, I wish people would consider this the most remarkable of Disney classics.[/CENTER]
March 30, 2009
Loved it..Flaky,typical disney but Jodi Foster was good..
March 28, 2009
this movie is a fun family adventure...Jodi Foster is so hilarious
March 27, 2009
I loved this one, a definet classic!
March 3, 2009
good one. i love the old disney "live" features
February 5, 2009
its okay, not really much to it
January 17, 2009
Excellent film full of mystery, comedy, and touching narrative. Helen Hayes gives a touching and fun performance while Jodie Foster is great as always. David Niven steals the show though as the butler who is also the rest of the staff and neighbors. Quite enjoyable and intriquing with clues leading to treasure; car pursuits after a train; and an epic climatic battle with every weapon imaginable within Candleshoe.
December 23, 2008
One of the better of it's kind. Especially if you want to get away from animation, musical, and effects sequences.
December 23, 2008
The first half is an awful lot like "Anastasia" (the animated Fox movie) and then there's a treasure hunt!
December 22, 2008
Funny. Jodie Foster is great as a tough talking street wise delinquent. The English setting is perfect.