Cane Toads: The Conquest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cane Toads: The Conquest Reviews

½ April 20, 2015
Bloody Ugly Thing's ..Destroying Australia's Natural Habitat, What A Disgrace.The Characters Of The Top End, Their Silly Stories, Certainly Give It Some Lite-Hearted Entertainment Against A Backdrop Of An Ecological Disaster..(102 Toads Now Number Over 1.5-billion)..Dunno Whether To Laugh, Or Cry.
August 19, 2014
One of the best, most original films I've ever seen about toads. Also, cane toads are adorable in the best kind of pathetic way. I highly recommend this film, especially if you like to wind down with a nature film at the end of a long day, because this film has nature and so much more to offer.
½ August 7, 2014
Told with a tongue-in-cheek style, this documentary tells the story of the introduction of the cane toad to Australia and some of the environmental consequences that have followed. The tale focuses on some quirky characters and individual experiences connected to the remorseless spread of the amphibian, with "toad-eye" views on much of the action. We also get explanations and expansions by a number of scientific speakers. One is left with a feeling of admiration for a species that can adapt so well to a new environment and seems to be able to thwart every effort to control it. Where I feel this programme lacked over others I have seen is that the full damage to the wildlife of Australia wasn't really made clear. The film concentrated on the social consequences and the effect on pets, notably a few sequences connected with dogs. All in all, the film makes an entertaining, humorous and informative wildlife documentary but, personally, I prefer something with a little more detail and scientific explanation.
June 13, 2013
See what uneducated so called scientists can do to our country.......if they arent already, be in Perth by Chrissy. Gawd they're ugly mo fo's......just saying. Interesting doco though.
August 28, 2012
I liked the first one enough, I hope it is playing in a theater near me.
April 27, 2012
Cain Toads The Conquest is Australia's first 3D film. It's a follow up documentary to the 1988 film Cain Toads: An Unnatural History. Having seen that I can reassure you that this new doco stands alone. I didn't see it at the cinema but I wish I had. The 3D would have added an entirely different level of humour to it. On dvd it's an informative, amusing and scary story. We all know how cain toads were introduced and we've all heard stories of them invading backyards in the thousands.... we've certainly heard of people playing golf with them. This film looks at everything we know about the vermin and attempts to understand them. It questions what can be done to stop them and canvases a broad diversity of opinions. "Nuke the bloody things". "Create a militia". "Use them for medicinal purposes" etc... at the end of the day the toads win and we've got ourselves to blame. This is a very funny film that might change peoples' opinions of cain toads, or it will simply fuel their hatred even more. Ugly bastards!!!
February 5, 2012
Some good photography and a couple of funny characters but would have been better if half was edited out.
½ January 18, 2012
Was okay only ever watch the once and can get bit boring at times but lot lines that make you laugh and the such bad acting. Poor toads working with they bams.
January 15, 2012
This was a bit of a disappointment after the first film, which was a genuine delight; this time around, the quirkiness of the indiviual interviewees seemed overstated and the lack of hard science seemed glaring. As a result, you're left feeling that by trying to be too entertaining, the film has lost the battle to be interesting.
January 13, 2012
Pretty good insight into cane toads.
½ November 19, 2011
watch austrailia ruin itself with toads
November 13, 2011
Pretty good insight into cane toads.
June 4, 2011
One of the best uses of 3D yet!
June 4, 2011
not that i need to be reminded of these stupid creatures distruction
½ May 15, 2011
I remember seeing a movie about this at Syracuse University...or maybe just in my friend Steve's living room. This updating is a charming little made-for-TV fare. After a quick history comes a bunch of little vignettes all involving Cane Toads. These toads were introduced into Australian sugar cane plantations in the early 30's to kill a beetle that ate sugar cane roots. From the original 103, there now exist several billion, invading town after town. It's astonishing. Oh yeah. No, the Cane Toads never ate the beetle they were imported for.
February 6, 2010