Cannery Row - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannery Row Reviews

May 5, 2016
Marine biologist falls in love with restaurant chick in this slightly entertaining romantic comedy.
July 11, 2014
Pleasant enough, but doesn't quite have the dramatic power it needs. Watching a young Debra Winger, I was reminded of Jennifer Lawrence.
June 4, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
January 7, 2014
Apres une demi-heure assez laborieuse, Cannery Row se met en route et se trouve etre une comedie bien sympathique, mais trop longue pour son propre bien. Nick Nolte et Debra Winger forment un duo plutot efficace, les seconds roles comme M. Emmet Walsh ou Frank McRae sont excellents et John Huston assure a la narration mais le film parait un peu vain, en fin de compte. Dommage.
June 28, 2013
Cannery Row may be excessively sentimental, even a little corny, but it's all heart.
½ April 28, 2013
I adore this movie, from the first time I saw it back in the mid-80's to a recent viewing in 2012. It holds up fairly well after all these years. Great acting by both Debra Winger and Nick Nolte. They're both so young and gorgeous in this film. It's hard not to like every single character. They're so warm and poignant, you almost forget you're watching a story about homelessness people and prostitutes! This is classic John Steinbeck - lots of humor and empathy.
August 16, 2012
Charming romantic comedy. Everybody was too nice to be believable though. Including marine biologist - the Doc, played by the youthful and handsome Nick Nolte. Also too nice was Dora Flood, the owner of whorehouse Bear Flag Restaurant. She is kind to her girls and is always ready to help the poor and needy. I must read Steinbeck's original story on this.
April 9, 2012
One of Nick Noltes Greatest films...
July 30, 2011
Wonderful movie for its quirkiness and characters.

If you need a strong plot and high-intensity action scenes this movie may not be for you, but if you like living with a bunch of interesting misfits, then this is the crème soufflà (C).
July 24, 2011
I recently watched this again after many years. I am a Steinbeck fan so saw this nearly 30 yrs ago now when it was released. Loved it then and loved it now. Full of heart with wide sweeping emotion, I think Nick Nolte just shines as the lead character Doc, and Debra Winger as Suzy is just soft and lovely here. A great movie version of a wonderful American classic novel by John Steinbeck. Total enjoyment.
May 14, 2011
Beautiful Debra Winger, great Nick Nolte.
January 12, 2011
One of the most under rated movies of all time. It is touching and wonderful in its simplicity. One of my all time favorites.
½ November 7, 2010
Roger Ebert must have had something going on with Rachel Welch who blacklisted with inner influence this movie when they refused to let
her play susie, she was offered Audra Linley's part originally, she was
too old to play susie, she was the real reason behind all the put downs
for this movie .. It is still one of my favorites .. a combo of two Steinbecks books .. Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday ..
August 10, 2010
Just seemed to go on & on & on
May 31, 2010
The dancing scene was fantastic...
October 13, 2009
-- Hi. From public library recently I borrowed book SWEET THURSDAY by John Steinbeck. Once I started reading it I recognized characters & plot. It's familiar to me because "Cannery Row" the movie is based on both Steinbeck books, & I've seen "Cannery Row" the movie. I don't think I've read the book. Debra Winger is a great actress. I liked her in "Terms of Endearment," & I like her in "Cannery Row." She plays Suzy, a floozy. Hazel is a man. Joseph and Mary is name of one man. Nolte was cast to be Doc, & both men are endearing. This movie is like homemade catsup. It's spicy. --
October 10, 2009
This is a movie that has a broad sense of slap stick comedy layered over a romantic comedy. Two scenes of note: Doc and Suzy proving their worth through dancing, and, of course, frog hunting with the boys.

I left the movie knowing that, without a doubt, the voice of God was that of John Huston.

This could easily have fallen through the cracks, but is worth going back to see for all Debra Winger fans. Make yourself a beer milkshake and sit back and enjoy.
May 9, 2009
I still love this movie! Recently released on dvd, watched with the kid, and he was not impressed? IMBD rates it low, and calls it a flop? I don't get it! I can't find anything wrong with it, I think it's a must see!
flixsterman
February 3, 2009
Not horrible, but avid John Steinbeck fans (like me) will be disappointed in the structure and lack of character depth.
½ September 21, 2008
I never saw or heard about the movie, until tonite on TCM. Debra Winger is awesome! Great Acting! Nice Dramd and loads of FUN!