Cannibal Ferox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannibal Ferox Reviews

June 9, 2016
Clunky, slow-paced exploitation film almost devoid of suspense. Docked one star for pointless depictions of real animal violence. The American title of Cannibal Ferox is Make Them Die Slowly- undoubtedly an inside joke by writer/director Umberto Lenzi referring to the intended affect on audiences unlucky enough to sit through the entire movie.
April 4, 2016
Like its also notorious counterpart Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox is rather tame by today's standards. Unlike Cannibal Holocaust it's merely an average flick.
½ March 18, 2016
If you don't know what this movie is....then you're a normal human.
January 17, 2016
Although Cannibal Holocaust is a breakthrough, Cannibal Ferox is easier to follow story wise, and doesn't hold back on any of the ultra violence. Could possibly be my favorite Cannibal movie.
January 8, 2016
It's a faithful imitation of 'Cannibal Holocaust' for better and for worse, but it lacks the same intensity and venom that its predecessor had. It's serviceable enough, but really only genre completists need bother.
½ September 30, 2015
This movie was banned in a few countries when it was first released, now I know why. Bad acting, violent abuse of animals, cheesy script and horrible soundtrack.
September 30, 2015
Just got done watching first, Cannibal Holocaust, ELI ROTH: The Green Inferno, and this movie. All great cannibal movies. By far this is my 2nd favorite cannibal movie of all time due to realistic gore and scenery. Acting was solid, but I wasn't crazy about the choices the actors made before they got tortured and eaten slowly. I thought that was stupid and thoughtless for them to do and for the director to make that final decision. Although, the movie had to go on for the most intriguing parts to come within true terror and gore. Great and entertaining movie to watch. Nasty, brutal, and psychotic. A must see. Some scares within certain scenes. Out of my honest opinion between the 3 movies. Cannibal holocaust will always be the number 1 best cannibal movie of all time do to sickening perversion, absolute realistic footage, slow murder, intense suspenseful scenes, and abbe rant torture, grisly, and repulsive violence for a documentary. Don't care if its fake, still the best !!!
September 26, 2015
Cannibal Ferox is one of the best films in the cannibal genre. It's a must see for horror fans.
September 25, 2015
A Cannibal Holocaust "wannabe" and not even close to being as intense. The production values are low and the acting emotion needs work.
September 17, 2015
Disgusting, awfully written, and terribly acted! This is ALMOST worse than Cannibal Holocaust, and that is saying a lot! F
September 6, 2015
The best Italian cannibal movie ever....whatever that means...
½ August 9, 2015
cannibal ferox is a movie that happened shortly after cannibal holocaust. it is an ok movie the gore was gross but not as gross as cannibal holocaust.
July 2, 2015
Trashier retread of a trashy attempt at art-house. It's nasty, unforgiving and graphic. Not bad if you can stomach it but considering Cannibal Holocaust tells the same story better, just watch that.
½ January 8, 2015
Seems to follow the cannibal movie template. Dumb story with some violence, animals dying and some nudity for the icing on the cake.
November 30, 2014
It's a legitimately better film than its much better known Italian genre cousin Cannibal Holocaust, (thanks to its superior plot) but that isn't saying much.
July 13, 2014
So similar to Cannibal Holocaust that they might as well be the same film. If my memory serves me right, this is a little better. It has a deeper story and the acting is better, although still not at a good level. I was expecting this to be a more difficult watch than it was as it's notoriosity led me to believe. If there were less scenes of animals being killed then I would say that they got the gore factor just right.
July 7, 2014
Brilliant early 80s horror
July 3, 2014
Umberto Lenzi's 1981 cannibal film (also known as Make Them Die Slowly) has garnered quite a notorious reputation as it was once declared the most violent film ever made and banned in a number of countries. Far more infamous for it's on-camera real-life animal cruelty and death, then for it's scenes of violence against the human characters and Gianetto de Rossi's well orchestrated gore FX. But, notoriety aside, is it a good horror movie? Not really.
The film tells the story of 3 college students (Lorraine De Salle, Zora Kerowa and Bryan Redford) who are on an expedition in the amazon and run across two drug dealers (John Morghen and Walter Lloyd). It's revealed that the drug dealers tortured and murdered a native tribesman and a young tribeswoman to get their hands on some emeralds and now the natives are out to exact revenge for the cruelty shown their people... and revenge is a dish best served raw. Will any of them survive?
Cult flick is very slow moving and while the disturbing amount of animal violence is spread throughout, the human violence is mostly in the last act as the natives exact sadistic revenge and in a flashback around the film's center of the drug dealers' heinous acts of cruelty. The rest of the film is a lot of walking through the jungle or standing in huts dispensing silly dialog while there are scenes inter-spliced taking place in NYC, as the police are searching for one of the drug dealers. Director and writer Lenzi gives the film a pedestrian pace but, doesn't add much suspense or thrills when something does happen. It's up to the gore FX and disturbing real animal violence to give the film whatever impact and shock value it does have. And while it is sickeningly effective at times, it does not a complete film experience make.
Despite the notorious violence, and there is some sick stuff here, the film is rather dull and we are forced to sit through a lot of bad dialog before anything happens. When it does happen it is pretty sick but, other then that, the film has no atmosphere or suspense to offer it's thin story. Another film whose reputation is far greater then the film it graces... though I can see why it received such a harsh reception in it's time. I prefer some of the Italian zombie films of this era. A lot more atmosphere and entertainment mixed in with the gore.
½ June 2, 2014
Some nice gore shots, but a ridiculous story set up and pointless New York side plot induced more yawns than shrieks. As a free rental, it's definitely worth watching while doing something else.
½ January 29, 2014
pretty bad actors but the movie was not that bad :)