Cannibal Holocaust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannibal Holocaust Reviews

October 17, 2016
Une demie étoile en moins à cause des animaux tués
½ October 5, 2016
This film still holds up well even today...
August 13, 2016
Brutal for it's time and still is today. This movie holds up VERY well so don't worry about it being "old". A must see for horror fans. One star off because there is real live animal torture and killing. Not for the faint of heart.
August 13, 2016
Utterly gruesome and so terrifyingly real it can be very hard to watch. Watching each and every scene you really feel like you're watching true footage instead of staged, yes I know the animal violence is very real. And yet it's strangely compelling to see. It's one of those movies that I would recommend people see, but if anyone can't make it through or just doesn't have the stomach for, I'll completely understand.
½ August 4, 2016
Absolutely horrible. The sickest (disgusting) movie I've ever seen. The scenes when they murdered the innocent animals for food was just putrid, it showed the animals suffering and was stupidly graphic. There was also so much rape and overall this movie was completely appalling!
July 22, 2016
It's a good movie, even an important movie. (There's no Blair Witch without this movie)...BUT, if you have a queasy stomach, avoid at all costs. Scenes of rape, murder and the killing of animals (the murder of animals are very real). Go ahead and watch it if you can, but don't say I didn't warn ya.
July 3, 2016
Um dos melhores filmes de horror que já vi
June 25, 2016
½ June 23, 2016
If you like gore, rape and "immoral" acts, then here's a film for you. A few scenes of culture learning do not make up for an un entertaining film with characters I don't care about.
½ May 23, 2016
A very realistic found footage film. With multiple rape scenes and legitimate animal killings, this one is not for the faint-hearted. At its core, Cannibal Holocaust is a choppy, disgusting mess. This films only purpose is shock value and i guess it achieves that.
½ May 9, 2016
The effects here are just incredible. It's no surprise the director was accused of making a snuff film! But aside from the legendary brutality, there's a good story and some intriguing social commentary to be found.
The only thing I found inexcusable was the animal cruelty (save when it was clear the tribes involved in filming were using the animals for food).
½ May 2, 2016
While nobody can argue about how repulsive and unnecessary the animal cruelly is, this is still a well made film. The gore is undeniably effective, the cinematography is fantastic(introducing the found footage style) and the social commentary while hypocritical at points is still very unique and relevant to this day
½ April 29, 2016
unpleasant, uncomfortable and offensive. A nice way to put cinema exploitation in order but it went too far. didn't mind the human brutality but definitely against the real animal brutality.
½ March 22, 2016
I have a feeling I would genuinely enjoy this movie if it weren't for the hideous things going on behind the scenes, including the real on-screen animal cruelty. It's just my opinion that fiction intentionally being revolting should be revolting within the confines of being fiction.

Apart from that, Cannibal Holocaust is grisly, gritty, and disgusting. Its makeup and effects are impressive. And for a found-footage film - arguably the first - its cinematography is surprisingly competent. It's a film worth watching for those interested in exploitation and/or horror - anyone else should stay very far away.
½ March 22, 2016
This "film" is absolutely disgusting. The acting is poor, the direction is bad and relies on shock value. The actual animal killing and rape scenes are despicable. I get the films message about extreme journalism but it's totally wasted by the directors actions. "I wonder who the real cannibals are" really? The director might as well be yelling look how artistic I am! at the camera. It's a horrible film.
March 3, 2016
Greatest soundtrack ever!
February 17, 2016
The most shocking movie I have ever seen. The final last hour of this movie will leave you shaking and speechless. A masterpiece!
February 13, 2016
That's an hour and a half I'll never get back
½ February 4, 2016
This is the kind of movie you might watch once out of curiosity to see if the hype that surrounds this film to the present day is worth anything, but it's NOT... the worst part is that they killed real living animal for making this pseudo-snuff terrible and gruesome movie
January 20, 2016
Despite the obvious social commentary regarding civilized vs. uncivilized cultures and who are the real savages, there is a deeper problem with the film. Ruggero Deodato clearly set out to make a disturbing exploitation picture that punishes the audience for watching it. However, exploiting indigenous tribes by using them in a film, which no one got paid well to appear in, implicates the filmmaker as part of the exploitation problem and defeats the whole purpose of his argument. At the end of the film, it is hard to ignore that deeper problem and I would consider it to be irresponsible filmmaking with mixed messages about exploitation that Ruggero Deodato is unable to resolve.