Cannibal! The Musical (Alferd Packer: The Musical) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannibal! The Musical (Alferd Packer: The Musical) Reviews

November 24, 2013
You can count me and Amy in the group of 12-15 people that have actually *seen* the Lone Ranger. This movie had all the elements to be successful, and looked terrific. I think if they had taken a 'Pirates 1' approach instead of a 'Pirates 3' approach (a shorter, more compact story - it's a full 40 minutes too long), this movie would have been more successful. A Spring launch would have helped tremendously. I have no idea why it had to cost $240 M, they could have made this movie for $100M. The competition killed this at least as much as the bad word-of-mouth. I have seen many worse movies, but this was a let down as well. Rumor has it that Disney green-lit a sequel before it was even released, and my bet is they're currently re-branding Thunder Mountain in Disneyland to match. Talk about putting the ore-cart before the spirit-horse. Grade C.
½ November 14, 2013
The acting sucks, the songs suck, the story sucks, the jokes suck. I am happy that Trey Parker eventually created South Park with Matt Stone, to make up for this garbage.
October 24, 2013
Even from their very earliest of collaborations, you can tell that Parker and Stone would go on to great things. Both have said over the years that they are always trying to turn what they make into musicals. I haven't seen 'The Book of Mormon', but when comparing it to 'Cannibal', it has some awfully big shoes to fill.

The biggest reason this is so successful is obvious: it is hilarious. Full of off the wall goofy humor that is surprisingly intelligent and clever. This would become their trademark in later years. The characters, songs and overall story are great. Some really quotable dialogue and memorable scenes that really elevate the initially ludicrous concept of a musical comedy about the Donner party. What is even sillier though are the completely random moments that are never expounded upon or explained. It as if the absurdity is not even noticed by the characters, making the world they live in seem even more strange.

The filmmaking itself is amateurish as to be expected. Very shoddy camera work, sound editing and just about everything else. Fortunately, this totally works in making the film even further removed from reality, as well as giving it an aged feel that lends itself to this type of narrative. The hammy and awkward acting sells this aspect very well also. This is really a microcosm of Parker and Stone's entire careers as their biggest strength is to take advantage of absurd and low quality media.

This is a one of a kind movie, and certainly a one of a kind musical. It is great in its own right as well as being a perfect precursor to Parker and Stone's future endeavors. Its star may even be shining a little brighter now that they appear to be on the downslide. Their earlier works have always been their best, and this is a terrific example.
September 28, 2013
This is one of those masterpiece low budget early pieces which remains a quality piece of viewing every time you watch. There is a song near the beginning which will implant itself in your head and NEVER leave. Great movie, a lot of fun.
½ September 6, 2013
Very bizarre but also very funny.
August 1, 2013
Boasting their trademark darkly-raunchy comedy and crassly-catchy songs, Parker and Stone's first outing is cheesy low budget fun and it wears that badge with shining smile pride as it skewers old Hollywood musicals and historicals (complete with a big crowd dance number at a hanging) in retelling the infamous story of Alfred Packer, assisted by the surprisingly good production values, including a replica Western town, a small mine and some nice genre-familiar vistas and canyons, even if the acting by the mostly young cast leaves a little to be desired, but that would be to miss the point.
½ July 5, 2013
A new take on comedy films. :)
½ May 6, 2013
This was not bad. Some gruesome parts tha were hilarious and dialog that knows it's sarcastic and cocky.
April 23, 2013
The film started out with a very brief scene of gore that was expected, but then quickly evolved into a very promising genre-savvy parody of movie musical westerns like "Paint Your Wagon," only to fall apart at the end and rely too much on cheap grossout humor.

The gore effects were a valiant effort but were inconsistent, and also added little to the story. When the gore effects were more realistic, it gave the feel of some sort of double-bluff fake snuff film like "Cannibal Holocaust" which would have been brilliant, except it wears off quickly when you see some of the other scenes with painfully fake rubber bodies being ripped apart with cartoonish ease. I got the distinct sense that Parker and Stone couldn't decide what they actually wanted this movie to be when it reveals itself, and what begins as a tight narrative ends in a clumsy ending.

Of the ending I would say that it was unclear if they were going for genre-savvy or genre-naive, but the presentation looks more like the latter. They seem to just throw up their hands and give up with a very un-imaginitive Western gallows rescue scene. I feel no compunction whatsoever in spoiling the ending because there is nothing about it you haven't seen before.

The songs were probably the best thing about the movie, although Trey Parker's voice has all the subtlety of a cheese grater. He can hit the notes, but he hits them like a semi truck hitting a cloud of gnats with a cutting, nasal tenor.

The humor was usually cheesy and cloddish, though there were a few clever jokes here and there that got a laugh out of me. On the whole I watched this film pretty well straight-faced.

There you have it. A few catchy songs, a few fairly good gore effects mixed in with some dreadful ones, and a handful of moments that were sort of funny. That's all there is to see here.
citawijaya
April 15, 2013
Wasn't as entertaining as I expected. But I learned a new word from it though so I guess it's worth it.
April 5, 2013
The directorial debut of Trey Parker is in my opinion absolutely amazing. Technical wise it mightn't be the greatest film ever, but the humour is fantastic, the songs are really catchy. And overall it's a Schpadoinkle film!
March 27, 2013
Nowhere near as much fun as it sounds. Really lame.
March 20, 2013
When "South Park"'s Trey Parker turns a true story about cannibalism into a musical, it's bound to be funny. Alfred Packer (Parker, unrecognizable beyond his wide, innocent eyes) incompetently leads an 1873 expedition through the Rocky Mountains, and desperate hunger leads to chomping on some fallen comrades. The inserted songs show Parker's legitimate musical talents (long obvious to "South Park" watchers), and there are odd random elements such as a disgusting cyclops, an undersized guy who's keen to get laid and a tribe of Japanese people presented as "Indians." The film has no budget (the synthetic musical arrangements are home-studio tacky, and much of the action seems like a band of actors wandering around the same patch of snowy terrain), but Parker's wit saves the day. Predictably, the gore is too cartoonish to be truly disturbing, so tender viewers need not be afraid.
½ March 17, 2013
A movie with no budget and an in-expierienced create a surprisingly enjoyable and coherent film with a great original score. Its no wonder the Book of Mormon is so good.
March 3, 2013
Haha! This is very funny! Let's build a snowman ! We can build him tall or not so tall! This movie would make your heart feel like a baked potato !
½ February 9, 2013
A great, early effort from the funniest duo of my generation.
½ February 5, 2013
It certainly isn't Parker's best work and not every joke is a winner, but it's still a solid and very enjoyable early effort.
½ February 3, 2013
One of my favorite comedies
January 31, 2013
It loses its energy in the last 20 minutes or so but otherwise this is a weird, gory and funny little B-movie that shows the beginnings of the South Park creator's style.
½ January 29, 2013
Co-creator of South Park, did an absolute crap job at directing the comedy musical, Cannibal! The Musical. This movie was nowhere near as interesting as the title would imply. It dragged for almost the whole film, I'm not even saying cut it down, just don't make it. There were exactly two moments I got kick out of, other than that I was drenched out. With the fake mustaches and stupid ending, it felt like a middle school play.