Can't Buy Me Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Can't Buy Me Love Reviews

½ September 13, 2017
Great 80's movie with boy meets girl out of his league and ends up with her in the end. I miss the simple movies of the 80s
July 9, 2017
Classic teenage trials and tribulations trying to navigate HS and being popular. This is a feel good movie in the end thought it is not based in reality.
½ June 17, 2017
The film thinks it wants to be sincere, when all it truly wants is to be popular, just like the other kids' movies, so it sells off its originality.
June 9, 2017
Think this is one of the best teen dramas around, mostly because I think one can relate to the characters where a social misfits buys a desperate cheerleaders a one-month dating relationship to be in the cool crowd.
½ May 11, 2017
Definitely old, and as time goes by, seems to get cheesier and cheesier. Yet its unusual charm has not faded away just yet.
½ April 19, 2017
Plays like an after school special. The only good parts are when it's just the two main characters interacting. Unfortunately, the director didn't spend enough time exploring their dynamic & instead relied heavily on high school movie cliches. This is largely unoriginal, 80s garbage that should be avoided except for a good laugh.
March 19, 2017
When McDreamy was McNerdy. Between this, Loverboy and Meatballs III: Summer Job, Patrick Dempsey was the king of the losers in the mid to late 80s. Every dude my age had a huge crush on Amanda Peterson. She Cindy Mancini! It's a cute high school comedy that also featured a scene stealing performance by a 12-Year-Old Seth Green. This was a movie I rented often as a kid until I taped it off showtime of course.
½ December 31, 2016
Ugh, awful on pretty much every level lacking any 80's sleaze to save it. Tame, lame, and boring with a severe case of taking itself too seriously.
October 23, 2016
Great high school movie starring some famous dude that all my friends talk about for some reason but he was good in this movie. I love the plot of the movie and the story overall. A geek/ nerd turns into a jock and then turns back to garbage by just having to buy a girl in order to go out with her. To me that's genius but that speech he gives when defending his former geek best friend, I just felt and got the feels. I just want more of this movie, what happens in the last scene when the blonde girl and Ronald when they ride on Ronald s lawn mower, do they get back together or does the movie repeat itself, who knows. And sorry I called her blonde girl, I forgot her name.
August 8, 2016
Lawn boy helps popular girl and makes a deal with her; the catch is she must pretend to be his girlfriend so he can be popular. It's another typical eighties teen flick.
August 6, 2016
Can't buy me love? Even though he kinda does. It is nice to see that the movie promotes people being themselves, where similar movies have the characters changing things about them to be with the other person.
June 19, 2016
Geeky kid pays popular girl $1,000 to be his girlfriend and make him popular. It's the typical 80s teen comedy but it's got some heart to it.
June 7, 2016
Cute enough but insubstantial. There's nothing really all that wrong with it but it lacks the wit charm of a lot of the other far superior 80's teen comedies.
May 15, 2016
Dempsey is a shining future star in this film with a powerful perf despite material. Ive seen bits and pieces before and decided to give it a try. Dated clothes and language but a classic tale with some humor. Typical high school geek to chic story, but with a twist of it being paid at first. I really liked the main message and cute ending. A feel good fun movie and come on who didnt fantasize about doing what he accomplishes in this movie.
½ February 12, 2016
Awesome movie! One of those classic throwback 80s films that shows the geek trying to become the popular kid and get the popular girl. The catch is that initially, the geek pays the popular girl $1000 to go out with him for one month. Fun cast, lots of laughs, and really cool progression between the two main characters. Would definitely watch it again!
January 24, 2016
I rate movies like these high because it achieves what it is meant to achieve. Its a great movie about teen life in high school, centered around this particular story, a nerdy guy that wants to pay the popular girl in school all of his savings to pretend to be his girl in order to make him cool. Great film. Much better than those films like Pretty In Pink and Breakfast Club IMO.
December 10, 2015
This is nothing special, but it still managed to make me laugh a little. Not great, but a good time killer.
½ November 23, 2015
ok, it wasn't horrible, but it was 80s cheese. it certainly didn't have any deep meaning, but at least the characters were all likeable.
½ October 22, 2015
I like this movie. I really liked the ending.
August 31, 2015
It's hard not to like this movie. In the 80's, PG-13 movies were still edgy enough to include a locker room scene (albeit minus the nudity) and an F-bomb or 2. Young Patrick Dempsey and the hot chick who just died in July have some good chemistry and this movie is a throwback to simpler times. Good stuff.