Can't Buy Me Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Can't Buy Me Love Reviews

August 8, 2016
Lawn boy helps popular girl and makes a deal with her; the catch is she must pretend to be his girlfriend so he can be popular. It's another typical eighties teen flick.
August 6, 2016
Can't buy me love? Even though he kinda does. It is nice to see that the movie promotes people being themselves, where similar movies have the characters changing things about them to be with the other person.
June 19, 2016
Geeky kid pays popular girl $1,000 to be his girlfriend and make him popular. It's the typical 80s teen comedy but it's got some heart to it.
June 7, 2016
Cute enough but insubstantial. There's nothing really all that wrong with it but it lacks the wit charm of a lot of the other far superior 80's teen comedies.
May 15, 2016
Dempsey is a shining future star in this film with a powerful perf despite material. Ive seen bits and pieces before and decided to give it a try. Dated clothes and language but a classic tale with some humor. Typical high school geek to chic story, but with a twist of it being paid at first. I really liked the main message and cute ending. A feel good fun movie and come on who didnt fantasize about doing what he accomplishes in this movie.
½ February 12, 2016
Awesome movie! One of those classic throwback 80s films that shows the geek trying to become the popular kid and get the popular girl. The catch is that initially, the geek pays the popular girl $1000 to go out with him for one month. Fun cast, lots of laughs, and really cool progression between the two main characters. Would definitely watch it again!
January 24, 2016
I rate movies like these high because it achieves what it is meant to achieve. Its a great movie about teen life in high school, centered around this particular story, a nerdy guy that wants to pay the popular girl in school all of his savings to pretend to be his girl in order to make him cool. Great film. Much better than those films like Pretty In Pink and Breakfast Club IMO.
December 10, 2015
This is nothing special, but it still managed to make me laugh a little. Not great, but a good time killer.
½ November 23, 2015
ok, it wasn't horrible, but it was 80s cheese. it certainly didn't have any deep meaning, but at least the characters were all likeable.
½ October 22, 2015
I like this movie. I really liked the ending.
August 31, 2015
It's hard not to like this movie. In the 80's, PG-13 movies were still edgy enough to include a locker room scene (albeit minus the nudity) and an F-bomb or 2. Young Patrick Dempsey and the hot chick who just died in July have some good chemistry and this movie is a throwback to simpler times. Good stuff.
August 28, 2015
A decent teen romance comedy from a 80s.
August 24, 2015
Not totally unwatchable, it's a typical 80s teen movie. That said, there is just something creepy about Patrick Dempsey's character to me in this movie. Maybe it's just the idea of buying a girl is creepy, idk.
Also, they use the words "spaz" and "retard" sooo much in this movie and threw in a special ed joke. I know it was 1989 but it's really a lot and not ok.
August 24, 2015
its a pretty good 80's comedy movie
½ August 10, 2015
loved it. Made me cry. Why is critic's score so low? This is better than The Breakfast Club!!
August 6, 2015
One of my favourite movies!
July 26, 2015
Over the top 80s high school silliness. What more can you ask for?
July 10, 2015
Awesome 80s teen flick. A young geeky Patrick Dempsey. A very soulful performance, in fact. This is Amanda Peterson's most well-known role, but to me, she will always be Lori Swenson in Explorers.
July 8, 2015
worth watching if for no reason other than its message. r.I.p Amanda Peterson
½ July 7, 2015
This movie shows how popularity isn't everything it can be cracked up to be. It displays in a realistic manner how people (especially highschool students) can be total followers when it comes to the in-crowd. The most important aspect of the film is Cindy having feelings for Ronald even though in her eyes, he wasn't popular, but she didn't care. Also, the only legitimate feelings in Can't Buy Me Love were that of Cindy. All of her friends only liked him because of her, & she was the only one who ever had any sympathy for him.