Cape No. 7 (Hai Jiao Qi Hao) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cape No. 7 (Hai Jiao Qi Hao) Reviews

June 19, 2016
As a westernized Taiwanese, I found this film, while not perfect in many aspects, endearing and emotional. The small town charm is exotic and somewhat familiar, the film definitely made me want to visit and get to know my homeland a little bit better.

The story is unique and decently paced, though i do wish there is a little more chemistry development between the leading couple. Many characters that you found annoying at the beginning will grow on you, and the performance at the end is pretty touching as well. Also, i found the quality of the production gets better as the film goes on... from a rather outdated, goofy tone to a more polished, sentimental feel. Overall, while the film might not resonate as much for typical western audience as it did for me, it still is something film lovers might find interesting.
½ February 8, 2016
this movie is so bad for me.
½ October 15, 2013
i LOVE the final scene.
January 21, 2013
captivating and somewhat touching story
November 10, 2012
Though clich├ęd, it is impossible to hate this very earnest and enduring crowd-pleaser.
½ April 21, 2012
an enjoyable and well done dramedy
½ December 11, 2011
Really enjoyed watching this movie. It is surprisingly more funny but less romantic than expected. Though the story transition of relationship between the actor and actress from hatre to love is not very smooth, the delivery of the every character is good and dimensional. The feeling after watching the movie is positive like rainbow after the rain. The songs in the movie are also cool.

Though this movie is good, don't understand why this movie become the highest box office in Taiwan of the year. It maybe due to some resonance of characters that only Taiwanese can feel and understand from their histories or experiences.
September 28, 2011
said to the top grossing movie of Taiwan ... in Taiwan
½ August 29, 2011
Plenty to like about this. Band story, concert footage, multicultural romance, romance spanning ages, and glimpses into Taiwan's history and traditional society. Beautiful.
½ January 3, 2011
it highlights modernity, the multiple "transitions" and effects of suppression on taiwan, the role of mail as a link to the outside modern world, and blah blah, blah all the other meaningful crap that anthropologists try to find and praise that clearly was a result of unintended consequences from the filmmakers and which is completely inconsistent with the underlying reason of its box office madness
i see how pre-kmt taiwanese support arises from resistance to modernity and allegiance to colonial japan, but the recent generations??? a result of buzz, a silly imagined community built upon deliberate political tactics of implanted social memory (and not experience), and a sad excuse that only a southern native country person could relate
its completely overrated, its success is really sad and pitiful, and FTR, the concert scene was an absolute disaster
October 24, 2010
I love it! Funny and deep at the same time! And the main male character is so handsome!!!
½ September 23, 2010
Interesting plot. The part with the search for the intended receipant of those letters was quite heart warming... the rest of the movie relates to the romatic tension between Chie and Han... Love the music!
September 11, 2010
Chie Tanaka! My new favourite actress!
July 7, 2010
A nice little romantic sweet story of a letter that travels the Taiwan Southern island for it's rightful owner, and in the end it connect the heart of two sentimental lovers...
June 28, 2010
stupid plot that dragged on forever to make a point.
June 22, 2010
It's ok story...I gave an extra star for the theme song..THAT was a good song!
May 27, 2010
Fluffy comic nonsense with grating sitcom types mishmashing. Bizarrely framed by a mismatched plot device from what appears to be Empire of the Sun.
May 14, 2010
br beresin ntn ulang. ntn film bahasa hokkian memang lucu, wakakaka
April 3, 2010
moved in the last 10 mins.
½ March 14, 2010
One of the best Taiwan movie I've ever seen.. This "From Nothing to Something" movie tells you about love and hope in a 'Little Miss Sunshine' way... The script is beautifully crafted in this amazing love story, also an astonishing cinematography of Taiwan's sea side landscaping and terrific music score..