Capitalism: A Love Story Reviews

• May 24, 2020

Another Masterpice! Wake up America!

Another Masterpice! Wake up America!

• May 13, 2020

Fails to accomplish convincing anyone who doesn't already think capitalism has bad aspects to it, because it's a lot of propaganda. It's not a terrible movie and some parts are very meaningful to watch, but others are just stupid or silly and make the movie overall extremely below average.

• Apr 26, 2020

Why are we in the United States so stupid! It isn't the government that is failing us it is the parasite that is capitalism. Our forefathers are rolling over in their graves.

• Mar 30, 2020

Michael Moore makes some strong arguments against the failures of capitalism to protect ordinary Americans from the greed of corporate elites that are hard to dismiss. The film is at its best in exposing corporations that take out life insurance policies on their workers ("dead peasants insurance"!), collect when they die, and never notify the survivors of the windfall, and in showing the corruption of America's capitalists and politicians. The leaked memo from Citibank to its investors about protecting the wealth of the 1 percent and undermining the 99 percent's right to vote is particularly crass and stomach-churning. Moore interviews UMKC economics professor Bill Black, who laments America's brightest students go to work on Wall Street, where they can get lucrative jobs literally making the world a worse place, rather than doing something productive that is not as remunerative. The movie is weakest in failing to point out the failures of capitalism are even more pronounced in other economic systems. Moore has several Catholic priests denounce capitalism as evil (something I feel around every Christmas when the naked consumerism distracts from the true meaning of the holiday and makes me sick), but I've also heard a priest say communism was the greatest man-made disaster in human history, and when you think of the tens of millions who starved to death or were killed in political purges under that system, it is hard to refute. Moore says we need to rid ourselves of capitalism, but his only alternative is "democracy." The countries he holds up as model economies are all capitalist, though with more of a government role in a mixed economy. The problem Moore highlights isn't capitalism, per se, but corruption. Capitalism facilitates trade and provides relatively efficient and clear market feedback, but needs to be tempered with regulations and redistributive taxation. His antics, such as backing an armored truck up to the doors of banks and asking for the return of the bailout money so he can take it back to the Treasury, were obnoxious. Moore reminds me of something George Orwell said (I paraphrase), more working class people would embrace communism if communists themselves weren't such "cranks."

• Feb 16, 2020

Extremely biased. Pure garbage

Extremely biased. Pure garbage

• Dec 28, 2019

Outstanding. Favorite part was the depiction of what a capitalist Jesus would say.

• Sep 06, 2018

Puntaje Original: 6.5 Una cachetada al imperialismo económico surgida en EE.UU.

Puntaje Original: 6.5 Una cachetada al imperialismo económico surgida en EE.UU.

• Jun 18, 2018

As usual, Michael Moore mixes up some incredibly interesting factual information with absurd political ideas. It's worth watching for the ties between Goldman Sachs and the US Government. Unfortunately he ruins his expose with his personal politics.

• Jun 10, 2018

Horfði einn uppí rúmi

Horfði einn uppí rúmi

• Apr 16, 2018

This movie makes me very angry. And I think that's what it was supposed to do.

This movie makes me very angry. And I think that's what it was supposed to do.