Captain from Castile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain from Castile Reviews

May 8, 2016
Dated movie, but music by Alfred Newman lives on forever.
May 29, 2014
Dull and scattered. No real central plot, just a lot of episodes. Most of which is boring.
½ September 30, 2013
Technicolor adventure starring Tyrone Power--God, Glory, and Gold!!
½ March 12, 2013
Bueno, una clasica en Technicolo que trata del tema de la Conquista de Mexico... per, vmos, que no del todo. Es una simple excusa para hacer una peli más de capa y espada. Como siempre rigor historico nulo pero es entretenida y hasta certo punto divertida y pintoresca. Una rareza!
December 15, 2012
Another classic flick bringing together Tyrone Power and a swashbuckler from a book by Samuel Shellabarger. The breathtakingly beautiful Jean Peters in her prime and Jay Silverheels (Tonto of Lone Ranger fame) round out the cast for this old Hollywood epic style entertainment, and entertain it does! The hauntingly beautiful theme guarantees that you'll never forget it.
August 25, 2012
fox's entry in2 the crowded swashbuckler pix
½ March 28, 2010
Lushly filmed epic sports a great cast and a very engaging story and surely ranks up there with one of the best adventure stories made in swashbuckler era. Tyrone Power gives Errol Flynn a run for his money as the premier adventure swordsman, especially here in this performance. Power imbues his lead character with dimension and vigor; watch his stare at the villain of the inquisition after his young sister is killed or his silent yearning on the coast of Spain holding the handkerchief of his now lost love. J Cobb is stellar and Jean Peters is so sumptuous its mind boggling to believe Powers doesn't notice her sooner. Stealing every scene he's in (even with a real simmering volcano in the background!) is Cesar Romeo as Cortes. When he arrives at the abrupt end of the film, its the power of his charisma that stays with us and leads the audience straight into disappointment when we are unable to continue with him to fight Montezuma. The ending of the movie doesn't play like its ending at all, but seems like we're just starting an intermission. Despite this final flaw, the movie is a must see.
½ March 11, 2009
Just watched this last night. Entertaining, and it didn't seem to drag too much despite the length. I was expecting more swashbuckling action, however. The major battles occur off-screen, and even the comeuppance for the villain was rather lacking in climactic force.
½ July 9, 2008
I'm a big Tyrone Power fan, but this movie was a bit disappointing. It couldn't decide whether to be a swashbuckling action movie or a biopic about the Cortes expedition in Mexico. It ended up doing neither very well. The first half hour or so while still in Spain was good and showed promise, but then it just petered out. There were some good performances by Lee J. Cobb (young and with hair, even), Caesar Romero as a boisterous and enthusiastic Hernan Cortes, and Jay Silverheels (yes, Tonto himself) as an Aztec nobleman.
½ June 29, 2008
Almost 2 1/2 hours - but it's a fun, swashbuckler film that moves along at a nice pace.
May 16, 2008
Interesting; happy that I watched it.
April 4, 2008
not bad for an old flick. Makes you mad at the spanish inquisition, while also making you upset at the imminent destruction of montezuma. That with a reasonable love story make the movie worthwhile.
jjnxn
April 1, 2008
Overlong, overblown costumer with several over the top performances.
March 24, 2008
Jean Peters just stole my heart in this film!
½ February 3, 2008
Overblown and dull epic.
January 20, 2008
It's not bad. It's a story about man who goes with Cortez. Along the way, he falls in love with girl. The movie ends with them going off to harass the king of the natives. I wish they had held back on much of the romantic music early in the movie.
December 9, 2007
It was very interesting. Too bad movies like these are not made anymore.
October 27, 2007
I can;t believe no one has reviewed htis! It's up there as one of my favs of all time... really really sensual though from the 40s, and totally politcally incorrect... but the chemistry between Power and the girl is unforgettable... love this movie
July 26, 2007
I really like the actor Tyrone Power.