Captain Kidd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain Kidd Reviews

½ January 21, 2016
Captain Kidd covers the dynamic of the crew. This film goes into character development of more than just one character. This film also has suspense that makes you wonder where and what will happen to the characters.

Captain Kidd supports who ever will support him and will switch sides whenever he sees the need. He also is willing to kill or get ride of anyone he finds in the way to get him what he wants.

He is. Cross captain. He creates suspicion amongst his crew. He hires prisoners, He makes deals that are corrupt. He keeps a list of enemies and finds ways to kill them or strand them in order to keep the power and profits to himself.

Unscrupulous

His crew is untrustworthy and

One lies and says he is working as a spy that was hired by the British to keep track of Captain Kidd since he makes corrupt deals and check how he deals with prisoners. Captain Kidd then has second thoughts about how to deal with him.

Captain Kidd is a privateer who knows how to control a crew, is able to conceal his crimes in convincing methods that appear plausible yet deceptive.

Captain Kidd has someone purposely sabotage a ship by putting a candle by the gunpowder.

A girl and treasure from a royal ship is sent onboard to Captain Kidd's ship.

Mr. Adam Mercie convinces girl to Play the game. Be nice and kind in order to survive on board the ship. Don't attract suspision.

Sword fight to keep girl in the dark.

In sword fight Adam looses looses neckless with crest on it. Captain Kidd finds it on floor after sword fight.

Captain Kidd then thinks of a way to get rid of Adam.

They go back to Madagascar to acquire the 12 Apostles Treasure. The same treasure that had been barred at the beginning of the film.

Adam fight against Captain Kidd and henchmen who boarded ship after

Adam Mercy hangs on ruder chains after being hit into the water. Adam comes back for the girl.

Adam and girl escape on a longboat before being sighted by the crew and
Cannon fire at long boat but Adam and girl swim to shore.

Captain Kidd makes it beck to England after

Lady Ann Dawson

Mr Polgy find treasure in Captain Kidd's cabin once makes it back to England.

Captain Kidd is killed and hung even though we don't see it.

Name ship the Lady Ann to go to America.

This is a good pirate/privateer film.
January 7, 2016
Excellent movie! Worth the time to watch. So ruthless and the captain while a little corpulent still pulled it off well.
July 5, 2015
Not a bad pirate movie. Laughton balances the pirate trying to be a noble well.
August 10, 2014
Captain Kidd is an excellent film. It is about the adventures of pirate Captain Kidd that revolve around treasure and treachery. Charles Laughton and Randolph Scott give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Rowland V. Lee did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and adventure. Captain Kidd is a must see.
½ December 7, 2013
Even the great Charles Laughton can't save this rather turgid swashbuckler involving revenge on the high seas. Randolph Scott is the ship gunner out to get Laughton and John Carradine is aboard too, playing one of his typically odd characters. Low budget and pretty slow. Laughton manages to make the film watchable.
March 30, 2013
Magnificent Charles Laughton in an unforgettable role as astute pirate--In days of old when ships were bold, just like the men that sailed them; Salt-water comedy!!
January 14, 2013
Charles Laughton's performance as the famous titular pirate, here given the task of carrying a treasure ship from India to England, is perhaps the only thing worth looking out for in this otherwise slow paced dull pirate adventure.
July 21, 2012
sooo good even had a abbott & costello spin off
March 31, 2012
Charles Laughton is NOT one of my favorite actors. I usually find him dull and boring. The only film he's in that I actually enjoyed was Island of Lost Souls, but that had more to do with the film's atmosphere and that Laughton was well-cast in the role. While he gave a good performance, it had more to do with Laughton as a person that influenced that performance, which is what made it good. I can't say I'm incredibly impressed with Randolph Scott either. I suppose if put in the right role, like Laughton, he'd pull something off good. This all leads me into Captain Kidd, which is about as boring as watching paint dry. The performances are terrible, the story is boring and meanders all over the place and there's really no high seas adventure, which is implied on the film's poster. It's just a boring mess, and I wanted it to end long before it even reached its halfway point. In other words, this is one of the most skippable movies you'll never see.
FilmFanatik
March 4, 2012
March 7, 2011
Would never watch this again.
jjnxn
½ February 23, 2011
With that cast it should have been better. Just sort of chugs along without the sense of derring do required for this kind of adventure. Scott looks ridiculous dressed up as a pirate, Laughton does his best but this is just blah.
½ August 19, 2010
Captain Kidd is a traditional pirates tale full of cannons, ships, buried treasure, and a long voyage overseas. It has a little bit of pistol shooting and sword fighting too.

Charles Laughton was marvelous as Captain William Kidd.

Randolf Scott was a real surprise in his stand out role as Adam Mercy.

This is more of a drama than an action film.

The sound and picture quality on the DVD was poor. It's a classic film. I only wish that it would be restored to it's former glory.
August 13, 2010
This is the best pirate movie ever made.
April 11, 2010
Very historically inacurate. Tower Bridge in London was build in 1894 not 1699. The Quedagh Merchant was not blown up off Madagascar. It was taken by Captain Kidd back to New York. The wreckage was discovered in the Carribean in 2007.
The acting was fine and the story,as told, engrossing, but the production was on the poor side. The lighting was terrible for a movie made in 1945.
Overall a decent movie to watch once, but it will be forgetable.
June 27, 2009
I enjoyed this movie the farther I got into it.
½ June 5, 2009
Just ok "story" of Captain Kidd here. I put story in brackets because they (that would be Hollywood boys and girls) took a lot of liberty in Kiidd's story, or at least, what we know of it. Charles Laughton is in full Laughton mode here, playing a captain with as much treachery in his voice as possible, and Randolph Scott is ok as the (totally fictional) first mate. Amusing how this film tries to capitalize on other movies.. Was Scott trying to be Captain Blood in the final acts of the film? Was this film trying to be too much like Mustiny On The Bounty? Proceed at own risk.
½ April 3, 2009
The acting is fairly good, and there is a lot of it. Don't be suprised not to find too much "high seas adventure" but more trasure and plunder. Black and White. focused more on story than much else. but with some beautiful scenes none the less.
½ January 25, 2009
It was an okay movie. My copy was really cheap and pathetic so I missed out on some of the dialogue. I enjoyed watching the movie though even if it was predictable as hell.
July 2, 2008