Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Captain Underpants) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Captain Underpants) Reviews

½ March 16, 2018
Great movie! I liked it
March 12, 2018
I don't know how, but they somehow managed to make a movie about captain underpants that is actually legitimately good. Coming from someone who has never been a fan of the captain underpants books, thats saying a lot that I find this to be a great film, but they really nailed it here. The humor is funny and fits the film well, the characters are all memorable in their own ways, and the art style is very unique and fits the film well. This movie really shows that dreamworks is still capable of producing great movies, and that a movie that is blatantly geared towards kids can still be enjoyable for all ages. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel to this.
March 9, 2018
Kids liked it - i thought it was just ok.
February 28, 2018
This was a surprise. Full of fun, laugh, and heart surprisingly, Captain Underpants actually does the source material justice and also give everyone someone to like about the movie if they like simple humor. Animation was quick and nicely done. Very fun overall.
February 26, 2018
I had a really hard time staying awake in Captain Underpants. I found it kind of boring actually. The humor is definitely targeted towards children, a lot of potty humor which I don't like. Its a film that I think kids would love, but there isn't much for adults.
February 25, 2018
One of the best surprises of 2017. Captain Underpants has no shame in all the right ways. From humor that is pulled off with care, the genuine connection between the two main characters and animation that is bright and whimsical, even non-book fans can find a certain joy in this movie.
February 24, 2018
Colorful, frequently funny, and blessed with a hilarious cast, this is an elementary book-turned-movie that surprisingly is great fun, though unlike what its epithet suggests, I see no need for more.
February 22, 2018
I was bored and disappointed.
February 19, 2018
Looks like we're gonna make this an all animated movie weekend over in my household. I was leaning toward this, The Babysitter, 1922 or Gerald's Game. Naturally, I chose the silliest one of them all. I'll get to the other three this week, most likely. But I still feel like I haven't washed off the anger and stress out of being without power for five months. Seriously, try to imagine that for a second. Almost half a year. Yep. Anyway, the best way to get rid of that is to watch silly movies. And this fits that description to a T, quite frankly. As a bit of an aside, I wonder how many friends have started out like Harold and George, where they just create their own comic book super hero. I don't think it's a lot, but there has to be quite a few. In fact, then again this was when I was a senior in high school, me and one of my friends (who's great at drawing) came up with this anti-hero, as it were. I don't remember much of the details, but I know he was gonna be a massive, angry man who died, but came back to 'earth' to avenge those who wronged him. How was he going to get back to earth, you ask? Well, he was gonna rip and angel's wings off (in this universe heaven exists), staple them (or something) to his own body and fly back down to earth. Sounds stupid, right? I don't know if we ever went past that point, but I know that was part of the character's origin. Who knows, maybe I'll revisit the concept one of these days. Not really, but a man can dream, right? A man can dream. Anyway, DreamWorks Animation FINALLY puts out a good animated movie. It's been a while since they've had one of those, something I pointed out in my review for the Boss Baby, which is the last movie I reviewed. Ironically speaking, the lowest-budgeted DreamWorks Animation movie in history, is also the one that has the most unique, if it can be called that, animation style for DreamWorks in quite a while. From what I can see of the books, which is very little honestly, the film seems like a faithful adaptation of that style. I have no idea why, but stylistically speaking, I'm reminded of the Peanuts Movie, even though they share nothing in comparison and were made by completely different studios. That's neither here nor there, of course, but I felt it was worth pointing out. Oh and, of course, I thought The Peanuts Movie was better. I guess the best (and worst thing) I can say about this movie is the fact that it feels like it was a movie made for kids by kids. If you could see into the mind of a child with an overactive imagination, I think it'd look something like this. This is good because I think it's got an energy about it that's difficult to deny. It's bad in the sense that the movie relies on jokes that are only funny to children. For example, there's a scene where there's a whoopee cushion orchestra. This scene contains the aforementioned cushions, armpit farts, squeaky farts, snot shooting out of a kid's nose, etc, etc. And that's just lazy humor to me. I get that Harold and George are at that age where they find that type of stuff funny, but it just doesn't translate well. At least to me. I will say that the aftermath of this orchestra 'performance' was funny. Essentially, the camera pans out to a shot of the kids laughing and applauding the performance, they shine a spotlight on Harold and George sitting together and then blurbs of reviews of the orchestra start appearing on the screen, like they do in film trailers. Someone gave it four and a half stars, other called it phenomenal, there was even a RottenTomatoes rip-off. It's silly, but it was funny. But the examples of potty humor continue. One of the running gags in the film is that the villain's legit last name is Poopypants. Yes, seriously. This motivates his actions of wanting to rid the world of laughter as a result of everyone laughing at his last name. This is bad enough. But, later on, it is revealed that the villain's full name is Pee-Pee Diarrheastein Poopypants, Esquire. Holy shit, talk about cringe-worthy. Again, I get that this movie is based on a series of kids' books, but that's still as lazy as it gets to me. For a movie that has some clever moments, the fact that they still rely so much on laziness to get their point across is disappointing. I think that's also one of the things about the movie that, in retrospect, I've noticed. It wants to have its cake and eat it too. It wants to be clever and subversive while also wanting to fit in as many poop jokes as possible. It just doesn't work. Either stick to one or the other, don't rely on both. It's like Adam Sandler trying to do Punch Drunk Love and Jack and Jill all in one movie, it doesn't fucking work. And it doesn't work here. Having said all that, I still found this to be a breezy and pretty entertaining movie. The animation is good and colorful. The voice acting is also fun. Nick Kroll, like Bill Hader, is one of those guys who'll surprise you with the versatility of his voice. Bill Hader is insane, though. As an example, he was in Turbo (a terrible movie from, you guessed it, DreamWorks Animation) and I didn't even know he voiced the villain until I saw his name in the credits. Didn't recognize his voice at all. Mr. Kroll doesn't quite reach that level, but he's clearly very good. Kevin Hart, Thomas Middleditch and Ed Helms are all good. Kristen Schaal is always great, even if her role here is a minor one. I can't complain about the animation or the voice acting one bit, even if it's not what I would call truly amazing. Don't really have anything else to say about this. It's a silly kids' movie, emphasis on the silly. The humor is definitely inconsistent in tone but, as a whole, I enjoyed watching this movie. Wouldn't say you need to go out of your way to watch this, but it's a fun enough diversion.
February 18, 2018
Best... Movie... EVER!!!! I WANT THE SEQUEL :D
February 16, 2018
A big problem I have with modern kid's movies is that they take respectable material and reduce it to lowest common denominator humor of big gags and toiler humor (I'm looking at you Ferdinand and Peter Rabbit). Well, here's an example of a movie where doing that actually makes it more loyal to the books. The Captain Underpants books were never high literature, but as pop fun for kids they did exactly what they were supposed to do. Kids will love this movie, it captures exactly what was so enjoyable about the books when I was a kid. As an adult, I will admit, a lot of the humor doesn't really land anymore. Some of the toilet humor did make me chuckle, but most of it didn't. Still I was never mad about it, more just tolerant of it. And there's a surprising amount of jokes that still do work for me. The humor that isn't toilet humor is exactly the kind of stupid humor that works for me. By this I mean it's really dumb humor, and I really can't vouch for it, but it does make me laugh. The character of Captain Underpants is so cheerfully stupid I couldn't help but smile at pretty much everything he did. There's a scene where he runs into the road and gets hit by a car, and when the guy yells at him he shouts back "thank you, traffic person!" Now why is that funny? I'm not really sure. Is it because he's so happy about it? Is it because "traffic person" is an inherently strange thing to call someone? I don't know, but it cracked me up. A lot this movie cracked me up, and even the parts that didn't I was never really bored by. It has a ton of creativity, innovative animation (it goes into sock puppet mode at one point), and a surprising amount of love and respect for the source material. I've waited so long for a faithful adaptation of a story I read as a kid, and it's finally here. I never thought it would be Captain freaking Underpants, but hey, I'll take it.
February 7, 2018
I didn't think the original story could be made any better. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been so pleased to be wrong. The movie is fantastic, with classic Pilkey humor woven into every inch. The animation is stunning, the voice actors are on point, and the whole story is just wonderful. I can't wait to see what they do for the Netflix series.
½ February 7, 2018
This movie is great. Exactly what kids need. A comedy movie that gets kids right. It clearly knows what kids like. Lot's of comedy with a good amount of action.
February 6, 2018
DreamWorks has simply lost the creativity and strength it had when it launched box office and critical hits like Shrek, Madagascar, or How to Train Your Dragon.
With a lack of creativity, quality in the story and lack of emotional load or important messages, this film is clearly aimed only at the youngest, who will nonetheless entertain with the vibrant animation that the film offers.

|It's a 4 out of 10|
February 5, 2018
I put this on for the kids and was surprised by its originality, humor, and timing. Great pace and tone. Well done!
February 3, 2018
A fun nod to the old novels.

Based on the worldwide sensation and bestselling book series, and boasting an A-list cast of comedy superstars headed by Kevin Hart and Ed Helms, DreamWorks Animation brings audiences the long-awaited global movie event, Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie. This raucously subversive comedy for the entire family tells the story of two overly imaginative pranksters named George and Harold, who hypnotize their principal into thinking he's a ridiculously enthusiastic, incredibly dimwitted superhero named Captain Underpants.

Was I one of the kids who read "Captain Underpants" as a kid? Well, I mean, no...okay yes. I found them really entertaining when I was younger. If we're talking about today, I haven't read one of those novels in a long time, but it's still kind of fun to see this story get adapted to the big screen. It's one of those things that's surprisingly better than average, even if it's not amazing.

If we're being honest here, this film is for kids. It's straight up a kid's movie and there's nothing else about it. The humor is for kids, the storyline is for kids, and everything else follows that theme. The only thing here for older generations is some fluid animation and silly hijinks. I mean, the entire film revolved around poop jokes so what else do you expect? It works for this kind of film but if you go into this expecting anything else, don't be surprised if you don't like it.

I think that for what this film is, it's solid. I really don't want to get into it, with it being a kids film and all. It looks very well and it has some fun, silly moments. The fourth dimensional wall breaking was kind of a cheap way to express narrative, as they kind of just held your hand throughout. I think the voice actors were solid and they brought a lot of comedy to their characters. I also felt the filmmakers knew exactly what they were dealing with here and they embraced it. This is a pretty ridiculous concept but they never tried to be more than what they were.

In the end, this is a silly movie meant for kids, but its execution ain't too shabby. Thats all I really want to say about this film, even though it's not much. It's just pretty simple in hindsight.
February 1, 2018
I read every one of these books as a kid. I'm 22 now, and I absolutely loved it.
½ January 31, 2018
When i was younger, I was a bit more than a casual fan of the book series. I stopped around the eighth book, but only because we didn't own the later ones (though I haven't had much interest in picking them back up recently). This movie, however, may have resparked my interest in the series. Thank you, Dreamworks, for this great adaptation of a book series I loved!
(My only gripe is that they didn't do the "remember that now" bit while introducing George and Harold)
January 30, 2018
It's not too bad, not that good either.