Capturing Mary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Capturing Mary Reviews

October 12, 2014
This British made-for-tv movie is quite good. It has an intriguing and different story, and great acting with Maggie Smith, also featuring an early performance from Gemma Arterton. Give it a try if you like British films.
July 31, 2014
Tuesday, July 29, 2014

(2007) Capturing Mary
DRAMA

Movie from HBO, written and directed by Stephen Poliakoff starring Maggie Smith as Mary being allowed to visit a house again where she reminisces a part of a time upon meeting a mysterious man. Ruth Wilson plays the young teenage Mary, as she's a familiar guest to all of those parties, unable to break hold of Greville's subtle control, a man that carries many secrets.

Not for all tastes as it's very talky, but still very interesting.
November 10, 2013
Not sure why this sequel was made, as in the end of Joe's palace the house is being reformed and in this one it is still in the original shape. Maggie Smith is ok, for the rest, nothing much.
April 20, 2013
A disappointing nonsense!
August 17, 2012
An intimate yet intense story, spanning 50 years, of the revelations that haunted a young woman and how she finally found freedom.
½ July 7, 2011
Worst movie I have seen in my entire life. Please, I beg of you not to watch it, for your own mental health.
½ August 10, 2010
I'm feeling pretty let down by this movie, but I can't say it was bad. I was surprisingly on the edge of my seat through the entire thing. However, it turns out there was no reason. Completely lacking a climactic point.
June 13, 2010
An interesting movie - part of a set of two movies, the other being Joe's Palace. Mary recalls her experiences in the house that Joe caretakes. These experiences changed her life, and there are some irregularities in Mary's story, so we don't quite know if it is totally true, or if Mary's dependence on alcohol has clouded her judgment.
½ April 10, 2009
An odd movie. At the end you are left wondering what the movie was about. But there is no denying Maggie Smith turns on a great performance and that alone makes it worth watching this movie.
December 30, 2008
Maggie Smith is a screen legend. This movie just confirms it. David Walliams (who you may have seen in Little Britain) and Ruth Wilson are also amazing in this film that captures experiences in life that can change you forever, how the awful things that people say and do to you can effect you forever, how obsession and failure, expectation and self-esteem are hugely powerful. This movie touched me for many reasons I won't share in a personal forum, but was wonderfully acted, superbly cast, visually appealing, and couldn't fault it at all. Will be checking out Stephen Poliakoff's other films as I am certain it is not just Maggie's brilliance that makes this film so mesmerising.
½ November 22, 2008
A pretty weird film. Made me think about quite a few things. An interesting view on the social stratification too...