Il Cartaio (The Card Player) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Cartaio (The Card Player) Reviews

February 22, 2016
Yet another movie that makes you ask where and when Argento lost his magnificent visionary talent.
½ April 21, 2014
well I was liking the movie and then the ending happened.
½ January 25, 2014
Though it may not capture the beautiful tone, atmosphere and style of Argento's Giallo classics such as Bird with the Crystal Plumage and his cult horror hit Suspiria, I still had fun with The Card Player. Despite the below average acting (Except for Liam Cunningham), the film still displayed some genuine suspense, creative camera work and the occasional inventive set piece. While the film could never compare to Argento's films of the 70's and 80's, it still had some noticeable "Dario" moments and proves that there's still something special in Dario's directorial style.
September 11, 2013
Argento's The Card Player Brings The World Of Classic Crime Thriller Flicks Into The Computing World And Does It Successfully. Argento Is On Top Form, So Is His Cast & Crew. A Must See.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 22, 2013
Dario Argento has crafted some of the most memorable horror films in the genres history. However he has lost his touch starting in the mid 90's. The Card Player may have been a great concept on paper, but on-screen it fails to deliver anything truly entertaining. This film fails to deliver what Argento's classic films did so well back in the day. This is a dull affair with poor acting, directing and storytelling. The film simply doesn't have that spark that made Argento's work memorable. This film is just bad and will disappoint the diehard Argento fan. I've been a fan of his for a while now, and I had heard mixed things about The Card Player. However this was a big letdown and it shows signs of a director that is quickly running out of ideas. I think it's a shame because Argento is one of the legends of horror, but this one just fails on every level. If the script would have been reworked and the cast better chosen, maybe this film would have had a chance, but as it stands, The Card Player is just another run of the mill Giallo with 21st Century elements to make it more interesting for today's audience, but in doing so has no substance to its concept. Well, it's bad, and if you love old school Argento movies, don't watch this one as all his trademark elements are nonexistent. I think it's a shame because this film could have been great, but this is just a boring movie with poor buildup, a bad cast and awful storyline that could have been reworked many times to make this a worthwhile Giallo that ranks up there with some of Argento's best. Unfortunately it's a forgettable film not worth your time.
May 19, 2013
Underwhelming Argento crime thriller has a good premise and some highly effective moments, but overall decidedly average.
March 30, 2013
Lame, not as bad as that Mother of Tears BS though.
January 16, 2013
One of the weaker recent movies by Argento who just doesn't seem to be able to shock anymore, as he is content with a few minor concepts for this less than average giallo. In this one, the serial killer gambles with the lives of his victims on an online poker game.
½ January 8, 2013
Dario Argento tenta ser moderno, mas ainda vive nos anos 70 com seu cinema formulaico.
October 16, 2012
You know the creepiest thing I can imagine? Saw style traps mixed with video poker. Oh wait, that;s a sill fucking concept, can you believe that Dario Argento decided to run with such a ludicrous idea?

Such a boring film, has a few moments of visual flair here or there, but mostly it's just awful.

Pass, unless you're a completist.
July 31, 2012
Thought I'd better watch all of his lesser works if I'm gonna meet him; in the end it wasn't 'that' bad apart from some of the acting...
½ May 31, 2012
Fast paced and entertaining ...but a far cry from vintage Argento
April 21, 2012
Dario Argento has never been known for subtlety but this is an obvious down-turn into Saw territory. Rubbish.
½ February 26, 2012
Oh my. Yep, its pretty hum-drum. It wouldn't surprise me if it started its life as a spec script for a lifetime channel original movie. Fortunately, it contains instances of Dario Argento's trademark stylized images. Unfortunately, the other 99% of the movie is spent by the lead characters playing video-poker.
January 21, 2012
Wooden acting. Shit plot. The crazy mortician. Only wanted to see Stefania Rocca's tits and was denied that and no amount of convincing by Alan Jones will make this any better.

But at least it wasn't the shitfest that was GIALLO, although that had comic value unlike this boring tosh.

Couple of nice visual scenes though, but this is by no means a decent giallo.
August 7, 2011
Oi Vei... I wish they spoke Italian, it seemed like they would act much better if they spoke their own language. The story is bad, the acting is bad... What a waste of time.
½ August 7, 2011
In The Card Player, we see a mature Dario Argento who is well aware of his strengths as a filmmaker. This 2004 Giallo throwback is the story of a serial killer who kidnaps young women and plays internet poker with the police for the women's lives. The Card Player's screenplay is very much a retread of much of Argento's earlier Giallos in that there are no supernatural elements at play here - no witches, no knife-wielding monkeys, etc. This is a straight whodunit thriller with a few grisly moments to remind you it's Argento's work. Argento's style is what is truly different here - he is still very competent behind the camera, but you're less aware of his influence. This is not the grand baroque style of Opera or Tenebre, this is a modern film and very competent. The problem is, it never really rises beyond anything other than competent - the screenplay is tedious, the story predictable, and the concept, though modernized, is a rather tired one. Nods go to the electronic score and Silvio Muccino's performance as Remo, the cop's poker playing ringer. An average film with a master behind the camera is still an average film.