Carefree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carefree Reviews

August 5, 2015
This one is easily skippable.
May 31, 2015
FUN! This may not be the most popular Astaire/Rogers flick, but in my humble opinion, it's the one that is the most fun. This is Ginger's movie all the way. She gets to use her skills as a comedienne to great effect, while Fred plays a more straight role, as the object of Ginger's affections. The dance numbers are some of the best in the RKO series; 'The Yam' is joyful and ebullient. It's so much fun to watch, and looks like it was fun to do. The 'Change Partners' (aka the hypnotic dance) is sexy and mesmerizing.
Carefree is nothing but a joy from beginning to end. A definite recommend!
½ February 17, 2015
Slight screwball comedy plot isn't enough to enliven this lesser Astaire-Rogers musical; Irving Berlin score includes "I Used to Be Color Blind" and the Oscar-nominated "Change Partners."
½ February 14, 2015
'CAREFREE', directed by Mark Sandrich, a screwball comedy set to music, reunites the song and dance team of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers for the eighth time in a sort of welcome change from their previous efforts: Astaire plays a doctor, psychiatrist by profession, rather than his usual lovesick American dancer, although the doctor in question DOES have a talent for dancing. Rogers, breaking away from sophisticated humor, makes her mark in broader comedy. She's been funny before, usually sassy with nifty comebacks, but this time in the dizzy-dame mode--Hilarious and very stylish, this spellbinding art modern musical is a real experiment in RKO craftsmanship. the dream sequences to the song "I used to be color blind" were originally filmed in color but the release abandoned because RKO couldn't get the tech specs right and the cost was going to be too high for the budget already set. It was a great idea and today might have made CAREFREE a more enduring success as there is no color footage of them as a dancing pair until 1949 at MGM... Not Their Best But Better Than Most Musicals: Yam-O-Rama!!!
½ January 25, 2015
Fred & Ginger always dance so beautifully.
November 28, 2014
The story was simple and a little weak, but the characters were strong, which is quite different from films nowadays. They need better characters in current films. The ideas behind some of the hypnotism are somewhat distressing, but this is a fairly fun ride.
July 19, 2014
Too much story going on, but still I like the dream scene >>>
December 31, 2013
an odd entry in astaire/rogers filmography with only four dance numbers. ginger's shooting spree is pretty frightening!
½ December 27, 2013
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance to Irving Berlin songs, so is there really much more you need to know? If you do need to know more, Ginger is seeing psychiatrist Fred when the two become romantically involved. This dil mis actually more comedic than most of their films, an there are actually only four dance numbers, but it all still quite enjoyable, if not their best film. Ralph Bellamy co-stars and Belin's "Change Partners" is featured in the film.
December 21, 2013
this fred/ginger mixes music with screwball comedy to much success
December 4, 2013
One of Fred and Ginger's shortest films and the one with the least amount of song and dance numbers (4). This is a screwball comedy if anything else with some funny moment involving Ginger. It may not be their best work together, but it is still an entertaining comedy.

Grade: B
October 12, 2013
Can only barely recommend this, the "psychiatry" in this is a joke, Fred and Ginger really don't dance much together, and the plot is pretty pitiful. Ginger displays more of her great comedic talent, however, and she's wonderful, like usual. Enjoyed her sedated spree of carnage. Astaire is sadly just kind of "there" in this, he's not bad or anything, but the script really doesn't give him any opportunities to shine.
April 2, 2013
Brilliant great songs and story comedy is spot on of my favourites.
½ January 2, 2013
a very funny and entertaining movie, ginger was sooo hilarious :)
July 19, 2012
I wish I enjoyed this movie more because it is a fred and ginger and Fred is a psychologist! It made me laugh at times but something didn't quite catch me as special like most other Fred and Gingers do for me
April 26, 2012
Honestly? I don't know if I should be amused, offended, or disturbed.
½ November 15, 2011
Another excellent number from Rogers and Astaire, with more focus on the story than the song and dance... and with some scenes shot away from the sound stage!
October 26, 2011
Fred Astaire as the not quite believable psycho-analyst ("My observations are as follows: she is a typical pampered female. What she needs instead of a doctor is a good spanking") manages to last just over 10-minutes until breaking out a harmonica and tap dancing in the middle of golf practise. As usual in these films, Ginger is full of contempt for Fred at first but at some point before their first dance together, he'll turn her round, whether he means to or not. This time the contempt - which we should really share as an audience - Fred as a doctor, honestly! - is for his profession as much as anything ("Maybe you were hitting it with your subconscious mind, you know the one that dreams. Smack it once with your conscious."), though of course he is smitten with her from first sight.

The Yam is the only really decent dance number in the film, but it's one of their strongest. A slow-motion dream sequence is also noteworthy, but other than Miss Rogers having a lot of fun on a hypnosis-induced shotgun rampage, smashing glass windows, upsetting judges and kicking policeman, Carefree is unlikely to stick in the memory as one of the pair's best.
July 29, 2011
I don't really agree with the critics this time, about this slightly forgotten Rogers&Astaire-flick.

I think this is one of the better of their movies.
Ginger Roger's cheeky remarks at Astaire and witty comments are some of what I like the most, along with their dancing performances.
The plot is rather thin, but that doesn't matter. After all it's the kind of movie that people watched back then, expecting to be put in a better mood afterwards, like the Shirley Temple-movies.

Fred Astaire plays a psychoanalyst Dr. Tony Flagg, who is going to analyze the very skeptical Amanda Cooper (played by Ginger Rogers), fiancée of his friend. Roger's is not a big fan of Astair's preconceptions and "helping" attitude so she decides to talk some balderdash just to see what he says. The taunts from her continues to scatter as she meets Dr. Flagg again, but slowly falls in love with him instead of her fiancé.

Some of the extras that doesn't say or do much, but you will recognize if you've seen a few classics before are; Jack Carson (Cat on a hot tin roof), Hattie McDaniel being typically stereocasted as maid (Gone with the wind) and James Finlayson (dozens of Laurel&Hardy shorts).
This movie also contains some fantastic dancing performances, and the chemistry between Rogers and Astair is just right, as usual.
½ March 9, 2011
Great dance numbers -- though not many of them -- and an OK story.