Carefree - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carefree Reviews

September 19, 2010
A very funny dance/musical movie with Fred and Ginger. I really like the story.
May 20, 2010
The plot is a nice change of pace for Astaire-Rogers pictures and it has some fantastic dance scenes, but the issues of control regarding Rogers's character will make any feminist uncomfortable.
½ February 23, 2010
didnt like the fact that Amando was manipulated so much by hypnosis!
½ December 27, 2009
Everything comes together perfectly in one of the best Astaire-Rogers pairings. The golf scene is ingenious! Gear and Carson are wonderful comedians and Rogers's wardrobe is one more reason to watch and enjoy this film.
December 24, 2009
All Astaire-Rogers movies, I love!
½ August 8, 2009
Too formulaic, not enough dancing to make up for it.
June 18, 2009
not a great story, unfortunately, but Fred and Ginger automatically get two stars for their dancing, which is always superb.
½ April 15, 2009
This is definitely not your typical musical, with Fred Astaire in the role of a psychiatrist, but it was different and had an unusual storyline.
March 24, 2009
This has some of the funnier bits of the A & R pairing, but overall, not one of the better ones to see. The implausible plot twists are too much for me, even for that pairing! I do like the freer reign Ginger has for some of the comic moments, revealing some of her untapped depths. However, I don't see myself watching this again by itself. This would be better as part of a movie weekend.
March 4, 2009
Really quite funny and entertaining, too bad I don't hear this one talked about as much as other Astaire/Rogers movies.
½ February 19, 2009
As much as I love Ginger Rogers, I just couldn't get behind the movie as a whole. The hypnotizing thing was a bit weird, but I'll give it brownie points for doing something different.
February 8, 2009
Not one of my favorites, but Ginger Rogers actually displays quite a capability for acting that impressed me. (Viewed January 2009)
February 4, 2009
One of my favorite Astaire/Rogers films now. It's actually really funny with great dancing and a great comedic plot (albeit too quick a resolve). Memorables: Astaire's amazing solo at the golf driving range; Rogers' uninhibited and wacky pranks; the pair dancing seemed more athletic (thinking of Rogers' jumping around Astaire's leg propped on a table); The Yam was cute and charming; the hypnosis dance was cute and actually relevant!; and overall I was just too charmed by Rogers, her moves, her wit, and even by her wardrobe (i like the heart with arrows shirt worn to her 2nd appointment with Astaire). Not too much i can complain about other than the story came to an end all too quickly and i felt sorry for his friend whom he just stole the girl from! What an ass...Also interesting to note, probably the first movie i've seen Rogers more interested in Astaire than the other way around...
December 29, 2008
My favorite of the Astaire Rogers series, yet it was considered a flop by critics and lost RKO money.....??? Very witty and lighthearted and best dances in there. I love "I Used to be Colorblind".
½ December 22, 2008
Rogers film. Up to their usual standard, just (by this time) not as original.
November 24, 2008
Probably my favorite Fred Astaire movie.
November 2, 2008
More Rogers/Astaire, then Astaire/Rogers, this is one of the final films the legendary pair made together. Breezy, funny, and charming, Carefree really showcases Ginger Rogers' comedic talents (Lucille Ball-esque but a decade before I Love Lucy). The talents of Astaire and Rogers are still awe-inspiringly impressive - they could do it all (act/sing/dance) - with "ease" (endlessly rehearsed).
October 25, 2008
Like a lot of Astaire/ Rogers films, this one is glorious. I love the the cheesy use of psychoanalysis. Also, it must suck to be Ralph Bellamy. You lose the beautiful Ginger Rogers because you don't dance and don't know what foods induce dreams.
½ August 28, 2008
Despite that plot about Astaire being a psychologist, I give this one extra points because it has my favorite dance number he and Rogers ever did. It's breathtaking.
½ August 26, 2008
Poor writing, poor singing, even (gasp!!) poor dancing. And some song about a yam??