Careful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Careful Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ May 10, 2012
Repressed emotions erupt into suicide, betrayals and duels in a fairy tale Alpine village where everyone must whisper and watch their every move closely for fear of avalanches. This is Guy Maddin, so if features gorgeous stylized visuals based on German Expressionists (here, bizarre hand-tinting choices which lead to scenes performed in brilliant yellow and pink or extreme orange); but, although the setting here is pure fantastic Maddin, the quiet, melodrama-based plot takes too long to engage, making CAREFUL a movie that's more for established fans of this auteur than to newcomers.
September 3, 2011
I'd be more careful about having sex with my mom than that guy. He wasn't so careful. Need to take precautions, buddy.
June 28, 2011
Endlessly inventive.
½ May 25, 2011
A weird, incestuous film that plays with color, Freud, and goofy characters who are so ridiculous that they're funny. It's an interesting plot with an interesting set that is (intentionally) reminiscent of black and white and silent movies. It's hard to rate or review a movie like this because it is so strange, unique, and not the sort of movie that everyone will like or want to like.

I mean some folks might not want to see characters who lust after their parents. I have no idea who these people are, but they're out there. *Sigh*

This is one that I'll have to watch again. This is the first Guy Maddin movie I've seen. Not sure how I feel about watching any others...

Oh, and one of the actors reminds me of Cary Elwes. In looks, I mean. Hehe.
March 18, 2011
An early effort by Guy Maddin, it's not quite at the brilliance that he achieves with Brand Upon the Brain! and My Winnipeg, but he shows that he can fully put his audience in his strange world, be silly, and entertain you while abandoning pretty much all normal styles of filmmaking. The sets that were created for the town of Tolzbad were fantastical and fake, but at the same time realistic. I felt like I was watching something that could exist in another world. The entire film is based in a town where people can not shout, sing, or make any loud noises or else an avalanche will destroy everybody. Because of this, many emotions are suppressed. Johann is in love with Klara and has asked for her hand in marriage, however one night he has a sexual dream about his mother and everything becomes confused. By the way, how funny is the scene when he is with his horn and they say "this part is so difficult for Johann." The cheesiness of the dialogue in the film had me cringing and laughing throughout the film. So Johann is feeling an attraction to his mother now, which he decides to act upon by putting her in a potion-induced sleep and having his way with her. After this he goes crazy, cuts off his fingers, and jumps off the mountain. Sad ending for Johann. All the while his oldest brother has been getting warnings from his blind, dead father about the way people treat his mother. Really, the moral of the story, don't suppress emotions or people's freedoms to express themselves in any way possible or else it will cause incest and other weird crap. Not a single time in the film does it feel like Maddin takes himself too seriously. It reminded me of some of the first talkies. He also hand-died some of the film, such as the green film for the cave scenes. Even though the story is strange, Maddin allows for some interesting moments such as the complexities of Klara's character. She at first seems pure and normal, but after Johann dies we see her true craziness. She hates that her father gives her sister more attention. She forces her sister to get naked with her to wash her face after she has been in the mine. Poor Grigorss has no idea how much she messes with him. Guy Maddin is an interesting director who is full of originality. Time to put Careful on the list with his other great films.
½ March 18, 2011
I really appreciate this piece; the reflectivity of a time that never was, of films that never were is great! It's hard to swallow yes but really enjoyable in it's look, feel and mood.
February 10, 2011
Pure Madness!!! I feel like brought back to the 20s!!! A Grandious Hommage on my beloved German Expressionist Film!!! Also a Very Intelligent 6 Grotueske on that Genre!!! And a Greek Tragedy of Freudian Kind with Surreal Dreams!!!
December 24, 2010
For some reason this film is just what I needed to watch Christmas Eve. Completely unique and way outside of the box . Guy Maddin seems to have done everything for his film; directing/editing/design/director of photography. It is his vision and is particularly interesting if you've ever studied German Expressionism.
August 7, 2010
Guy Maddine at his finest. I love the artificial environments that even outdo Querelle. The absence of sync sound, Maddine is such a good filmmaker. It's like his brain is speaking directly to mine and I've never taken any drugs.
Harlequin68
½ March 6, 2010
"Careful" is set in a mountain valley where the villagers are worried that the slightest sound could set off an avalanche, and are on guard constantly against any action no matter how small that can spell their doom. Living in such a place, brothers Johann(Brent Neale) and Grigorss(Kyle McCulloch) enter into training for the perfect occupation at the butler school.(Not affiliated with Butler University in any way.) This way, Johann will have an occupation once he and Klara(Sarah Neville) get married. But then he starts having these weird dreams about his mother(Gosia Dobrowolska).

"Careful" is another entertaining pastiche from Guy Maddin that tells its story in delirious fashion with tinted images. Madness along with incest are the central topics of discussion as the events, like an avalanche, are set off from the preceding one, each forming a worse catastrophe. This can only be expected in a village so repressed that any sounds of joy, anger or sadness must be contained. Or maybe the altitude finally got to everyone.
February 22, 2010
Guy Maddin strikes again with another film that looks like it's eighty years older than it actually is. The film is all over the place mainly dealing with some odd relations going on in some werid family. Not for everyone especially children, but a must for anyone interested in strange cinema.
mirabella1996
February 12, 2010
Sounds like my kind of film!
I hope I will be able to get hold of it.
February 12, 2010
Repressed sexuality and entangled incestuous relationships unfold in a Alpine village where the residents must speak softly and tread lightly as to not cause an avalanche. Guy Maddin is a serious fucking dude and his films are nothing short of brilliant, beautiful, and bizarre.
July 25, 2009
The obsessive fantasylands of Guy Maddin
July 7, 2009
I like Guy Maddin, but I couldn't manage to finish watching this one.
June 1, 2009
typical guy maddin fun, but gets kinda one note and boring
½ April 28, 2009
Of Guy Maddins first three movies this is the one less interesting. Strange enough this is the first film by Maddin in colours and at the same time it is the one that celebrates the old black/white "Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari" from 1920 most obvious. There are several scenes that are homages to the German Expressionistic masterpiece. And those are amazing: Beautiful, haunting and in a league of their own in modern movie making. But then there are also many things that doesn't work in "Careful". Overall the aesthetics are over the top. The colours are too blurry - it is intentional but they irritate more than they fascinate. Is there a distinction between "over the top" and "unhibited", you might ask? Yes, definitely - of course. And Guy Maddin is aware of that as well. But at the same time he is not that skilled (yet) that he can paint make a movie with that many levels of playfulness. I am still looking forward to the next one though.
March 29, 2009
Interesting, quite entertaining in some places, and very creative, but not as compelling as any of Madden's movies inspired by Winnipeg, like "Saddest Music in the World", "My Winnipeg", or "Cowards Bend the Knee". Whereas Madden's Winnipeg movies really feel like they come from the heart, this feels more derivative. But it is still fun.
March 28, 2009