Carlos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carlos Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Ramirez is outstanding in this biopic that explores the ambiguous nature of a revolutionary terrorist fervently devoted to a cause but who was also a self-centered man wanting to hold power over those around him - and even more fascinating is how the character needs to adapt to the many changes that occur in the world along twenty years. Excellent, but make sure you watch the full 330-minute version, not the condensed one.
October 28, 2016
This is a 5.5 hour film split into 3 parts which you will want to watch consecutively, like you can't put a good book down. I guess you've heard of Carlos the Jackal, and you'll know his face if you've got Black Grape's first album but I bet you don't know much about him. He's like the Venezuelan cousin of Che Guevara who was posted to Europe. The known parts of his story are fully documented here. A fine film or three.
September 1, 2016
Biographical adoptions of gathered evidence and stories about "Carlos - the jackal", who terrorised Europe for two decades. Great characters, trustworthy and improvised acting which works pretty well. The "movie" is somewhat neutral in its telling. Three episodes of a total 333 minutes, really provides a profound and throughout vision of this infamous character and his co-workers.
August 30, 2015
"An epic Legend must honored even he is a terrorist"
May 27, 2015
11 hours of high quality French cinema (I watched it twice over). A tour-de-force continental spy film biopic / Canal TV masterpiece of epic historical proportions.
March 30, 2015
This film could have been a suspenseful thriller about international terrorism or a psychological portrait of an impassioned and violent supporter of Palestinian causes and it is a little of both but not enough of either to succeed as an engaging film. The second episode includes a lengthy scenario involving the kidnapping of OPEC nation diplomats wherein they are flown around the Mediterranean as negotiations between their captors and various governments continue but before and after that the film doesn't have enough focus to hold the viewers attention. Too many characters come and go with nothing specific to do while Carlos is left as an opaque mystery, his motives and talents not clearly spelled out or brought into relief in a way which is dramatic or interesting.
½ September 6, 2014
A fascinating look inside the true story of a celebrity terrorist
½ August 25, 2014
93%
The Godfather for the 21st Century.
May 20, 2014
engrossing and palatable even for those who hate subtitles.
½ May 4, 2014
5.5 hours of this epic bioepic of Carlos the Jackal Ilich Ramirez and 20 years of his notoriety, starting with a small time PLFP sympathizer & amateur terrorist plots to becoming the most hunted by European govts and eventually in part III, a pariah. Just the physical transformation that the lead Edgar Ramirez had to undergo to do this form is amazing!!
½ April 21, 2014
One of the few modern epics I can think of.
February 16, 2014
"Carlos", biopic exaustivo do terrorista internacional conhecido por esse nome, marcha bem durante cinco e horas e meia para quem não entende quase nada de política internacional e presumo que seja um banquete histórico para quem tenha interesse nisso. Mesmo assim, duas questões levantam-se: 1) será possível que todos estes terroristas sejam tão incrivelmente sensuais? Fica a ideia de que este casting foi feito através de uma agência de modelos. 2) como superar a noção de que Edgar Ramirez, no papel de Carlos, parece tantas vezes Mark Kozelek na aparência, voz e postura? Por vezes acreditamos mesmo que ele vai pegar numa guitarra e começar a cantar "But that was the greatest bombing of my life". É muito estranho. Ah, e todos os que sofrerem de enjoo em filmes que mudam constantemente de localização e língua devem estar bastante preparados com medicação adequada.
February 13, 2014
Fairly close to actual events (even if it claims to be fictional, except for the persona of Carlos), has a documentary feel to it and overall well made, but does not beat "Baader Meinhof Complex" or "Munich".
February 2, 2014
One of the best films I've ever seen. 5 hours and not a single moment of boredom. A biopic with style and class; epic in every way possible with a pace that never drags
December 27, 2013
With a trhilling plot that takes us back to the 70´s terrorist idealist organizations, Carlos is quite a rare film. Not only is multicultural, witch present us an internationa cast, but its also a bueatifully shot movie. A must see.
November 26, 2013
Has obviously to be compared to "Der Baader Meinhoff Komplex" and the latter wins hands-down. Better at setting the right atmosphere, better at pacing the story, better at painting the motivations of its characters. Saying that, Edgar Ramirez is fantastic. A revelation.
November 8, 2013
I don't know how much are true facts about this story but the main character in this movie intrigue me since I was a kid. A really good movie and very interesting. Is a long movie but worth watching it.
October 27, 2013
For it's run-time of 5 hrs 33 mins, Carlos keeps the viewer stunned and engrossed through out the movie while it covers or at least refers to almost all the major historical events related to Left wing politics that occurred between 1973 - 1994.
½ October 14, 2013
Despite unevenness and needless repetition, "Carlos" is the modern epic and period piece to see with a subtle yet captivating performance by Edgar Ramirez, fast-action, a story that feels very real, and a perspective on terrorism and the media.
½ September 11, 2013
OK, I'm obsessed with films about leftist European terrorist organizations from the 70's. Loving this series right now