Tears for Sale (Carlston za Ognjenku) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tears for Sale (Carlston za Ognjenku) Reviews

½ May 15, 2011
OK. Had some great moments but on the whole it tried to hard to be whimsical and dark, sometimes at the same time. Just didn't work for me, on the whole, but came close.
December 5, 2010
Surprisingly well done. I actually loved the film, which is rare when it comes to new Serbian cinema and my opinion about it. However, the end is disappointing - but it's good that it can't spoil the impression whole film left on me. Recommended!
½ October 14, 2010
Another Serbian film, but with far less sex and violence. Tears For Sale follows two professional mourners who are sent to find a new mate for their war-torn village after they inadvertently kill the last remaining male. Evoking the visual flair of Jeunet and Gilliam, this is sometimes amusing, sometimes poignant, yet always stylish, and quite an achievement for such a modest budget.
½ August 8, 2010
A masterpiece Serbian film of a Grimm's fairy tale come to life... accompanied by darkness, death, sex and more. That reminded me of the French films.
The acting is, actually the strongest part of this movie, even the extras seem convincing and natural. The story has a nice current, flow, but can be fast at times. The main characters go through certain story progressions expediently, and some scenes are abruptly speedy.
deano
½ August 8, 2010
½ July 16, 2010
A great Serbian film with a delicate and funny approach similar to the marvellous Jean Pierre Jeunet style. Really worth watching, loved it!
½ June 16, 2010
Etrange atmosphere que celle de ce film serbe dans lequel le burlesque n'est jamais tres eloigne de la tragedie et ou les elements les plus decales se greffent comme ils peuvent sur une structure pleine de gravite. Bordelique dans son scenario (peut-etre meme trop), d'un foisonnement visuel et musical somptueux (ne serait-ce que la magnifique scene onirique de la taverne avec les hommes morts a la guerre) mais a la limite de l'indigestion, "Charleston & Vendetta" en devient difficile a apprehender tant il se demarque du tout-venant. Plus que comme une tragi-comedie nationale serbe (a la base, on parle quand meme de la penurie d'hommes qui suivit la premiere guerre mondiale), il est sans doute a considerer comme une plongee fantasmagorique et orgiaque dans les multiples facettes de l'ame slave. Tout dependra donc de votre degre de proximite avec celle-ci...
½ January 4, 2010
The nude scene was okay.
½ November 23, 2009
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I first sat down to watch this film, and quite frankly I had only picked it to fill in the time-slot between the previous and the next film I was seeing. That being the case, I was, by the end glad I had picked this film, for it is one of those types of films that seems so unassuming, but can really sneak up on you, and is definately (for me) one of the better surprises in films I have seen this year.

There is a lot going on at times in the movie Tears for Sale.... a (slightly) over the top, surreal, totally unbelievable (in it's premise) fairytale like story that with some great sets, filming and visual effects that is an amusing tale that is sure to entertain, despite what it may look like at frist glance.

Ognjenka and Mala are sisters... and professional morners that are bound and bent to loose their virginity. Problem is the village that they live in is manless (the last one being killed by one of them.... all I will say is... that chick has a set of lungs on her....) as war has ravaged the male population....Rather than have poor Grandma (back from the grave) be cursed for the rest of her life, the two sisters head off on an adventure to find a young man to bring back to the village within three days. They head out on a mission, but like kids in a candy store, too long starved, personal desires and feelings soon begin to take over...

While Tears for Sale does play for laughs, there is beneath all of that a context of some pain and insight and political commentary being it is in Serbia and the fact that the male population really has been diminished to nearly nothing by not only the world wars but recent times as well, so in that sense one can see what (perhaps) the writers and director are trying to (subtly) look at....

Or perhaps I was just blinded by all the babes and the truly wonderful CGI effects as there is a great deal of that going on in this film as well, (anyone whom likes works like Amelie enough to make any big American studio look at this work and wonder why they spend so much money on a film, when it is avious you can make an entertaining, non-believable, funny, interesting film that still has something to say (and with women's "assets" to boot), without breaking the bank (although for sure there was money spent here).... strange then that this film will probably never see the light of day in most countries.

If nothing else I have learned at least one thing from this film. Never cross a village of frustrated babes. You never know what (or where) you may end up... that and first expectations of films can sometimes truely be flipped on their head... and this one was one that certainly did that for me.
½ October 31, 2009
I have to say it's worst Serbian film I watched last few years. Nice try, nice photography, but story is so stupid and directing is like bad commercial for some satanic cult.
August 20, 2009
aka Charleston & Vendetta in France ! I was really curious to watch a Serbian movie. It was possible last weekend in Paris, and at least I was a little bit disappointed : too much SFX. And the mix of humor and drama was this time weird. Nevertheless the actresses are georgous. With such an interesting societal problem, they had something to make a better movie...
August 10, 2009
very interesting serbian movie in this year's hkiff, funny and refreshing...
August 8, 2009
Rollicking Kusturica-like adventure/romance/fantasy has lavish production values, surprisingly good special effects, an attractive cast and a keen sense of humour. Often fun to watch but sometimes just plain weird and lacking in logic.
June 19, 2009
I highly recommend this to everyone! Beautiful story. Cleverly written. Well acted. Great imagery. Well cut. When is the last time Luc Besson attached his name to something not worth it?

P.S. Gorgeous women!!!!
½ May 2, 2009
Stunning story, great director, awesome set of actors. Sometimes a bit bad visual effects, but still...
April 28, 2009
Saw as part of the DC Film Festival. Hilariously depressing, in that the story and its context are very sad, but it's done in a humorous way. Excellent visuals, and fun storytelling. I greatly enjoyed it.
April 11, 2009
Again, it's a full house movie in HKIFF and I was surrounded by groups of young students (young is a comparative concept and I discover I'm old enough especially when I heard them discussing this movie as a "cult" ones and even questioned why Mala hurt herself with intention). I sincerely hope HK people would respect watching movies by shuting their mouths off and by not leaving belongings to reserve seats for your own friends when it's already a full house movie. It's so embarrssing. Well, for the movie, it should be quite sad, but you'll laugh in some situations. The ending is a little bit rush and we could not know how the actors changed their minds in beds of beautiful ladies. BTW, the storyline is quite fresh and it attracts me.
½ April 6, 2009
This Serbian pic starts off with a great premise and I was expecting wonderful things of it. Granted the visuals are great, and of course me being a fan of Shigeru Umebayashi I like the score as well. However the story development does need a bit of improving, and of course plot holes are aplenty. Still, this is an enjoyable film which will be liked by many.
½ April 6, 2009