Carol Channing: Larger Than Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carol Channing: Larger Than Life Reviews

December 27, 2014
Amazing woman, performer and human being. What would the world would be like with more attitudes like hers? This film is an amazingly cute love story too
July 16, 2014
A fantastic voyage through the life of one of Broadway's shinning stars. Quirky, funny and at times as campy as Carol herself, it has moments that are both touching and revealing.
½ January 18, 2014
The documentary is okay, but, the subject is entertaining to say the least . . .
October 30, 2013
She had it all: talent for comedy, drama, singing, dancing, acting, and not upstaging her co-stars till the proper moment. Oh, and incredible legs with a nice face and an unmistakable voice. No one deserves to be flattered with caricatures and mimics more.
June 30, 2013
CAROL CHANNING: LARGER THAN LIFE is a happy surprise. A film sure to put a huge smile on your face. Not the most insightful documentary, but also not a slick lovefest, LTL shows that there truly are amazing indefatigable people in this world. Carol Channing is a force of nature and this film gives us 90 minutes in the presence of this very much living legend.
½ September 13, 2012
Hilarious and delightful.
August 20, 2012
I used to like Carol Channing but after seeing fantastic documentary I LOVE LOVE her. A funny and touching story of a genuine Lady. I laughed and I cried. Her story of Lady Astor and Istanbul had me literally holding my sides. And the story of her compassion of one of of Dolly dancers suffering from AIDS had me balling my eyes out. A must see.
August 15, 2012
It's a total puff piece love letter. But I doubt there is much Else but good to say about Ms. Channing.
½ August 9, 2012
What a delight! I used to think of Carol Channing as a mugging, simpering joke, a staple of seventies television, and on an endless tour of "Hello Dolly!" Oh, she mugs and simpers, but she is also a workhorse, and still going pretty strong at age 90. She proves the benefit of a positive, loving outlook on life. This movie gave me new respect for her.
July 6, 2012
This is a truly enjoyable film to watch, especially for us who adore the American musical theatre. There is no question that that Carol Channing is a legend and icon. Only after watching this lovingly made valentine are we bothered by the sad undercurrent of Ms. Channing's Pagliacci-like life. She is presented as always laughing on the outside and making others laugh as they admire her talent. Alas, we learn in hints throughout the film how dreadfully sad a life she led on the inside. The saddest part of the film is not mentioned. Shortly after filming, her beloved Harry passed away. Brava Ms. Channing!
½ June 21, 2012
Love this woman. So fun to watch and listen to.
½ April 10, 2012
Who says "documentary" and "entertainment" don't go together?
One of the best films I've seen in years.
Truly memorable and poignant.
Five stars plus.
Can't wait to see it again.
February 8, 2012
Can't wait for this film to be released in a theater near me.
February 8, 2012
Good movie. You can't help but love Channing. Wish it went a little further into her life. I really wanted to no more.
½ May 8, 2011
A great character, a great star, and a lovely old people love story. The audience at the screening I was at was almost exclusively made up of gentlemen who enjoy musical theatre and the women who love them. If you like that, and this describes you, this is the movie for you.
½ May 3, 2011
You will bust a gut laughing at this Carol Channing hagiography, now screening at Hot Docs (2 more shows!). At 90 she is still going, and the film tells great stories from her career, while neglecting most of her personal life. The exception being the great scenes with her current husband, a childhood sweetheart she reunited with in her 80's!