Carol's Journey (El Viaje de Carol) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carol's Journey (El Viaje de Carol) Reviews

September 5, 2011
Beautiful cinematography. An interesting outline for a movie with an intriguing plot but ultimately unsatisfying. Director could have done a lot more with this script.
½ August 28, 2011
Um filme rodado em Ponte de Lima.
May 29, 2011
A really good coming-of-age flick about a fiesty, tomboyish girl from NYC who ends up in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. She doesn't take any crap, and she loves her family, and you root for her all the way. It has a bit of a complicated plot, but I loved how she kicked a boy in the balls and he fell in love with her. Saw it On Demand on cable. Good choice (and free!). I was worried about the name, sounded cheesy, but it wasn't.
August 9, 2010
Own It. Think the story-line is great. Gut-turning end.
½ May 28, 2010
insanely overacted, scored as if it were a cartoon -- while defying all sense and logic... when the two children in the movie are your best actors, you're in trouble...
½ December 15, 2009
It was really good, I love hearing Catalan/Castillian. Very sad, but a good story line.
½ October 31, 2009
Really slow, but it was worth it. Great story.
½ February 11, 2009
AHH! the ending was depressing!
½ October 26, 2008
this disney-esque film was so formulaic and the music so saccharine that it was necessary to switch it off after 10-15 minutes. time is precious these days and this film was just too precious...
½ July 27, 2008
a beautiful and moving movie about a young girl during the spanish civil war. tomiche broke my heart, and the girl who plays carol has amazing features. ah, foreign movies are so good...
July 12, 2008
Pretty good and similar to Pan's Labyrinth w/o the fantasy element. I felt the characters were not developed as much as they could have been. At times they seemed to lack emotion. Sometimes I felt like the writer didn't really know where they were going. I agree with another reviewer in that the ending was pointless. Overall decent movie, but won't watch again.
½ June 4, 2008
Quite a touching story. I was crying by the end, but it did bother me that Carol never cried through the entire thing.
½ June 1, 2008
Most characters (even the "Carol" herself) were not brought into prominence, which is perhaps an aimed decision by the director. This fact, keeps the characters' personality gaps to be filled in by the audience but also leaves a taste in your mind that you can't define clearly. Anyway, worth to watch even for the acting of Carol, her "boyfirend" and her grandfather.
April 22, 2008
I am watching this is Spanish class right now. and it is so good. There is only 2 of us watching it, as everyone else decided to do work/ say negative comments. I am actually likeing it so far. I just hope it isnt sad.
March 7, 2008
A great movie. Even a twelve-year-old tomboy can change the people around her. Carol moves to rural Spain during the Spanish Civil war. You can't help loving the kids in this movie.
March 6, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Carol's Journey" takes place in 1938 as Aurora(Maria Barranco) arrives back in her old hometown in Spain with her young daughter, Carol(Clara Lago), after many years of living in New York to visit her father(Alvaro de Luna). Aurora was estranged from her family after renouncing her fiance to marry an American who is involved in the fighting, returning only after the death of her mother. As she tells her friend, Maruja(Rosa Maria Sarda), she has returned because she is dying...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Carol's Journey" is an adequate coming of age tale that is nowhere near the level of Guillermo del Toro's excellent movies set around the Spanish Civil War. While having little to do with the war itself, the movie exploits its juvenile characters in the cause of peace which is normally a noble sentiment but the Spanish Civil War was one of the very few wars where there was something worth fighting for. In the end, the movie is redeemed by one absolutely wonderful scene and a slightly unexpected climax. [/font]
January 29, 2008
I highly recommend this movie, set during times that were clearly tough, if you overlook the minor deficiencies the young actors did an amazing job.
January 20, 2008
Just an OK movie to waste away two hours on a cold winter day. Carol is supposed to have been raised in New York but when she says her night prayers, she has a strong Spanish accent. Couldn't they have found a truly bilingual actress?