Carol's Journey (El Viaje de Carol) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carol's Journey (El Viaje de Carol) Reviews

November 3, 2007
A fairly conventional genre film with too many cliches (i.e. the father-at-war who just happens to escape and reaches his daughter, the stubborn who rebels against her aunt, evil fascist stereotyping more evocative of war melodramas) that spoil the more touching and better crafted story about Carol's relationship with Tomiche and their friends, which is really the best part of the film. The acting of "Carol", "Tomiche", and his friends is also very good.

On the technical level, the camera panning creates an annoying near-blurring effect in the scenes where it's used that is basically pointless, and the ending of the story is too neat and possibly unrealistic given the actual historical context in which the movie is set.
½ November 3, 2007
Um...it was good in some parts but others were a little sketchy. I felt like the ending was kinda pointless (and occasionally very cheesy). Not a terrible film, but nothing incredible. The girl who played Carol was pretty good.
October 31, 2007
What a gorgeous movie about a young girl growing up in amist the Spanish civil war. It's really beautifully done and the characters are just so mesmerizing and you can fall in love with Carol right away. I think we can all learn a thing or two about courage and love from Carol.
October 15, 2007
I totally cried. So sweet, touching, sad.
October 7, 2007
This is a heartwarming and naturally flowing film, which is pleasant but rather bland, predictable and unimpressionable.
August 21, 2007
I loved the relationship Carol had with Tomiche...Divino!
August 10, 2007
"Excellent," is an understatement.
August 6, 2007
Don't let the tv movie feel fool you. This is good stuff
½ July 19, 2007
it is very touching story. I don't like one scene, but the whole story is so good.
July 9, 2007
This seems like a much tamer and less magical version on Pan's Labyrinth
June 30, 2007
A remarkable touching story about a young girl growing up during the Spanish civil war. Beautifully photographed and wonderful acting.
½ June 19, 2007
I was impressed with this movie. I wasn't expecting much but was pleased with the protrayal of the times and the relationships that existed between the characters considering the low budget. good movie over all, worth seeing.
June 19, 2007
a very historical movie that taught me a lot about what was going on through people's minds during the beginning of the spanish civil war. i really loved carol and the cute relationships she develops. but the ending was really cheesy. :\
June 15, 2007
I got this from the Middlebury Library. It was kind of sad, due to the time period, but pretty good.
June 14, 2007
Sometimes, it helps to have a [i]really[/i] famous director, if you want your work to be recognized in more than one country.

This story of the Spanish Civil War is not fanciful. It's not beautiful, except inasmuch as the native scenery of this part of Spain is beautiful. It's not sweeping. It's not known in America.

No, it's not as good as [i]El Laberinto del Fauno[/i]. It's nowhere near the technical masterpiece, and its script isn't as innovative. Its young star is as talented, though she's not given as much to do. She does, however, get to interact with other kids--and she survives with family, so there's that.

This is not a fantasy. There's no CGI here. There's no slipping between worlds--except inasmuch as Carol is only in small-town Spain for the space of a few months. She is from New York, though we only seldom hear her speak English, even with her mother. (Her father writes her in English; she and her mother write him in Spanish.) Her mother is from this town in Spain; her father is from New York. No fantasy world here, just the crossing of an ocean.

She has bad hair, poor thing, but she does have good friends--evenutally, after she's found a way to fit in. (I think you'll be surprised as to exactly what that way is.) She's got a cousin a little younger than she who comes to see her as an older sister. She's got a sweet grandfather who corrects her Spanish. She's got a truly creepy aunt and uncle--and uncle, in fact, who married her aunt after her mother dumped him for her father. This young girl in rural Spain is afraid [i]for[/i] her father, not [i]of[/i] her stepfather.

This is a quieter movie. This isn't as good a movie. It is, however, still one of the best movies I've seen in some time.
June 13, 2007
Qué historia tan tierna y triste :(.
June 9, 2007
I knew nothing about the Spanish Civil War before seeing this, and it sparked my interest. I also enjoyed (being a father myself) the love shown between Carol and her father. I was also impressed that a foreign film caught the interest of my children like this one did.
June 8, 2007
amazing movie.
good insight into the effects of war on a child.
plus tomiche is adorable
June 7, 2007
a touching story about a girl in spain whose life gets turned arount...and some pre teen romance. ow ow.
½ June 6, 2007