Carousel Reviews

• Oct 05, 2020

It feels like Rodgers and Hammerstein were still trying to figure out how to make a good musical with Carousel. The song and dance numbers go on a little too long, the characters aren't that relatable & don't really grow or change, and the story isn't very compelling. Don't get me wrong, I love a good clambake song as much as the next guy, but this movie is just missing the magic of other musicals.

• Jul 21, 2020

Unpleasant melodrama with forgettable music.

Unpleasant melodrama with forgettable music.

• Jul 10, 2020

The theology in Carousel stinks, at least from a traditional Protestant view. The 1930 film Liliom had some fascinating special effects, but regardless of Liliom or Carousel the story isn't believable and its not held together very well as a whole. You'll Never Walk Alone is the only redeeming part of the film. Whereas I usually like Rogers and Hammerstein I have a strong aversion to Carousel and Oklahoma! Bad theology in the first and how Oklahoma! was received down East decades ago is still reflected on me as a Nebraskan by Easterners in the 21st Century! A world without Carousel and Oklahoma! might actually have been a better place.

• Jun 11, 2020

Unless you adore musicals, you'll likely dislike 'Carousel' - like me. I was incredulously bored all the way through, due to the incredibly thin premise being stretched out for 128 minutes. Aside from the famous "You'll Never Walk Alone", which they use twice, none of the many, many other performances are memorable or sing-a-long worthy. It shows it's just a stage musical made into a film, focusing on the music ahead of the plot. I prefer my musicals having more substance to them. It should be story over songs, in my opinion. There are a couple of things to praise, albeit minorly. Visually its outstanding, the colours used are lovely; as is most of the cinematography. The acting is absolutely fine, Gordon MacRae carries it but Shirley Jones is solid too. Everything starts extremely intriguingly, with the afterlife setting. However, it barely scratches the surface with that due to the aforementioned issues. It also attempts a heartwarming conclusion which simply falls flat, given Billy does literally nothing to make himself likeable; he does the exact opposite in fact, as the film tries to OK domestic violence. This storyline with better focus and writing, with additional depth to the second chance stuff, no musical constraints, shorter run time and you're on to a winner. Sadly, is this state, it is almost unwatchable - unless you are a lover of this genre.

• Feb 09, 2020

OK, so it isn't Oklahoma. But that doesn't keep it from being entertaining. Rogers & Hammerstein music & lyrics, Agnes deMille choreography, beautiful costuming, great sets - and a story with substance. Well worth the time to watch or even rewatch.

• Sep 23, 2019

A musical about domestic abuse? Audiences in the 21st century may see this story with a new set of eyes. Still, the characters are interesting and some of the songs are powerful. Parental guidance is suggested.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring musical romance movie ever made! With 3 of the best movie songs ever sung: If I Loved You, June Is Busting Out All Over, and You'll Never Walk Alone!

• May 13, 2017

Two stars is generous for this piece of crap. I'll just dive right in. Billy Bigelow reminds me of an angry, white Trump supporter, of which I am not. He's a dick for the entire film until Julie says she's pregnant with his child. That finally gets him to believe, but then his life is cut short because he's an idiot and falls on his own knife. When he finally gets the chance to make amends with his widow and daughter, his daughter gets tortured and harassed by bullies for a too long time before he steps in. Within a minute of speaking to her, he slaps her hand. All in all, he gives too little too late. Something else that really pissed me off was how uneven the tone is. It's a dark musical, no doubt, but it wants you to forget that it's dark by putting in somewhat upbeat numbers, like the song about June, you'll never walk alone and Louise's ballet. However, it's always in the back of your mind that it's dark. Not to mention that Louise's ballet ends with her sobbing. There's a big difference between having a dark and visionary ballet and having a dark and visionary ballet for the excuse of being dark and for tears to flow. The ballet in Oklahoma is much more worthwhile than what you get from carousel. This movie is simply an excuse to have a dark musical. While it's no doubt a handful of the songs and dances are wonderful, you really can't take your mind off how dark it is and how it unevenly tries to be so many things at once. I guess the only truly dark musical we can trust is Sweeney Todd. (Les mis doesn't count, it's uplifting throughout)

• Jan 08, 2017

7.5 out of 10: Despite a generic story and meh songs, Carousel makes up with great dancing, acting, and singing.

• Jan 08, 2017

The loveliest of all the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals was transferred to the screen via gorgeous on-location cinematography and a faithful adaptation which manages to keep most of the score intact along with "Louise's Ballet."