The Carpetbaggers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Carpetbaggers Reviews

½ August 16, 2012
A shallow but pretty, actually gorgeous, film about a Howard Hughes-like businessman who starts out in chemicals, moves along into airlines, airplane construction and finally to running a Hollywood movie studio. In his wake he leaves an assortment of damaged relationships and unhappy, disappointed friends and family. Itā(TM)s a colorful soap opera with a large cast of characters that spans decades of the history of the American West. The psychoanalytic underpinnings to his drive for success, revealed near the end, canā(TM)t make this pretty parade of gorgeous blondes, fast cars and fast planes into anything more than the high-gloss tombstone for the waning studio production system that it is. Itā(TM)s beautiful but itā(TM)s empty headed.
June 24, 2012
I absolutely love this film for it's unadulterated trashiness! Gripped from beginning to end. I've never enjoyed the films of these types of books before, but this one wins through.
March 23, 2012
The movie flopped back and forth from intriguing to nauseating, which I guess is par for the subject matter. I neither recommend nor warn you to stay away.
March 5, 2012
It's a sleazy cult classic that is full of nonsensical plot lines that moves through time real fast. It has a huge cast of talent and a director to back this movie up! It was originally too sleazy to be shown on TV and had to be cut to shreds. It was then released uncut to DVD and restored. It was found sexy enough by the MPAA to be rated...PG! You get to see George Peppard buy up companies like their candy and see Carroll Baker strip atop a chandelier that ends up crashing to the floor, Alan Ladd ends up in Tinseltown surprisingly enough in the movie even though his character is a nobody to begin with. It's trashy only because Harold Robbins wrote the novel!
November 27, 2011
½ July 14, 2011
Ruthless & Cruel Jonas Cord (George Peppard), is a Career Maker & Breaker but someone you don't dare care about because he feeds on your weakness & will eventually use it against you if you dare to care.They say that this is based on Howard Hughes, if that is the case, no wonder he became a recluse.
February 20, 2010
Somewhere between a 5/10 and 6/10, this lusty, gusty, vulgar, sleazy, glitzy, trashy Hollywood potboiler exemplifies why everyone goes to the movies for all the wrong reasons.
½ October 3, 2009
This was a hoot and a half! George Peppard stars as a money grubbing plane baron/motion picture studio owner who romances women and gets rid of em, and gets business done with men and then drops em when he doesnt need em anymore! All of this is played out with the subtlilty of a jackhanmmer by that 60's schlockmeister, Edward Dmytryk. Pretty awesome if I shall say so myself.
½ May 23, 2009
Can`t imagine what took me so long to see this?
Captivating performances and script. Added
bonus....some great aviation scenes !!
April 19, 2008
SO much fun! I have developed a girl crush on Elizabeth Ashley.
January 13, 2008
A wonderful trashy classic from the book of Harold Robbins.
November 8, 2007
One of the most popular pulp novels of the early 1960s was Harold Robbins' The Carpetbaggers, a steamy mix of power, sex, business, and Hollywood. The 1964 movie version was directed by Edward Dmytryk and had an introduction by Joan Collins. Many consumers didn't realize that the playboy-tycoon protagonist played by George Peppard was a parody of Howard Hughes. In this telling, Peppard's friend is a silent film cowboy named Nevada Smith, played by Alan Ladd in his last film role. Carroll Baker has the lead female role. It's a glossy, pandering feast of Hollywood melodrama that succeeds brilliantly in its acerbic portrait of its principal character. Two years later, a prequel called Nevada Smith was released, with Steve McQueen taking Ladd's part; it bombed. But The Carpetbaggers remains a symbol of the heyday of the Hollywood blockbuster.
½ September 6, 2007
It would be so fucking awesome if TCM and my cable company could synchronize their watches so I won't miss the end of any movies my DVR records. Because of this I invested 2 1/2 hours of my life only to miss the last 2 minutes of The Carpetbaggers. This isn't to say I completely wasted my time because I really dug what I saw. Picture Russ Meyer making a cleaned-up, yet trashy mixture of Citizen Kane, Written on the Wind and The Aviator. George Peppard plays a megalomaniacal asshole, Carroll Baker plays the opportunistic slut trying to do right and Alan Ladd plays the leathery, alcoholic father figure. The score is good and you know you're in for some fun from as early as the sensationalist title sequence--because really, what can you expect from shots of clouds at 10,00 feet with oversaturated red lettering flying at you?
½ August 23, 2007
didn't know they made a racy movie like this back in the day. good stuff
August 13, 2007
I was quite surprised by this film. This one got down and dirty!
½ July 12, 2007
Those of you who only know George Peppard as Hannibal on "The A Team" will have to check out this trashy take on old Hollywood. Peppard plays a mogul who resembles Howard Hughes in a plot that was like a cross beween "Citizen Kane" and "Valley of the Dolls". Although may see this as a cheesy melodrama, I thoroughly enjoyed it for an epic look at the rise of an arrogant jerk and his effect on those around him. Carroll Baker stands out Peppard's gorgeous mother in law/lover(!) who was clearly based on Jean Harlow and has a voice like Kirsten Dunst. This was Alan Ladd's last movie. Alan Ladd's character, Nevada Smith, was used in a spinoff movie of the same name starring Steve McQueen.
July 8, 2007
George Peppard is so Handsome and good in this film whice is loosely based on howard hughs life
June 12, 2007
"what do you want to see on your honeymoon?" "lots of lovely celings"
½ June 7, 2007
saw this movie many years ago...loved it...but then i really like georgy...
what a doll...