Carve Her Name with Pride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carve Her Name with Pride Reviews

July 29, 2016
Sound rendering of the war time exploits of the heroic Violette Szabo (nee Bushell) who volunteered for service as a secret agent with the UK's Special Operations Executive (SOE), after her French Foreign Legion officer husband Etienne was killed, leaving her baby daughter behind in family care. Szabo was captured, tortured and executed in Revensbr?k Concentration Camp after being betrayed on her second mission into occupied France. She was posthumously awarded the George Cross (rated equal to the UK's highest decoration for valour, the Victoria Cross). The haunting poem used in the film was written by Leo marks, then aged 22, the chief code maker for SOE.
½ January 31, 2016
Came across this by accident one dull Sunday afternoon and this was the perfect way to pass a couple of hours. A solid story with a wonderful lead performance from McKenna...kept me gripped until the very end.
December 28, 2015
Carve Her Name With Pride may be a classic British war film, but it's so lagging that it's a real chore to keep yourself engrossed throughout.
February 20, 2015
Interesting story about a woman who becomes a spy, lewis Gilbert directs.
October 21, 2014
Although it gets caught up in sentimentality in the 2nd act, there's no denying that the 3rd act of this British spy thriller packs a whallop. Virginia McKenna is just tremendous as Violetta Szabo, a housewife drawn into war activities when her husband recently dies. It does take a teeny while to get going, but worth it. Still don't understand the significance of the title though.
August 18, 2013
Powerful true story of Violette Szabo who became a british spy in order to fight the Nazis and in some small way avenge her husbands death. The sacrifices this lady made due to what she felt was the right thing to do was and still is very humbling. Excellent solid performance by Virginia Mckenna too.
½ August 10, 2013
Just watched Carve Her name With Pride. Truly one of the great British 'War films'. Gripping and very moving. I could totally sob right now
½ August 10, 2013
Only not a full five due to the inevitable clunky 50's style Brit war movie style...but the raw courage and modesty of the George Cross winning female agent wins through. James Bond wouldn't stand a chance against the real deal.....
February 15, 2013
Interesting biopic of Violette Szabo, British SOE operative, from recruitment to her execution by the Nazis. Jack Warner is brilliant as her father.
February 7, 2013
Directed by Lewis Gilbert (Alfie (1966), You Only Live Twice (1967) and Educating Rita (1983)), this is a tragic war film based on the true life book of the same name by R.J. Minney. It's a very powerful film with some good performances, but it does shy away from the true horrors of what really happened during World War II, and it does focus on a little seen side of the war seldom seen on film. It begins in 1940, when Violette Bushell (Virginia McKenna) gets married to French Army Officer Etienne Szabo (Alain Saury), they marry and have a daughter, but Etienne is killed in action in North Africa. However, because Violette is bilingual, she is recruited by the British government, to work as a spy helping the French Resistance. Violette is working for Captain Tony Fraser (Paul Scofield), who knew Etienne, and wants to ensure the same fate doesn't befall Violette, she's very good at her job, and is able to help the resistance, and stay one step ahead of the Gestapo, the first mission there is a success in helping the Resistance, but then Violette is asked to do a more dangerous mission. It's a very emotionally charged war film, and it manages to be gripping and moving, McKenna manages to be a likable presence, and she does good with the physical action the film has to offer as well.
½ January 23, 2013
Movie night with Iris.

Wet Sunday afternoons in the 1980s were dominated by B&W war films like this. It kept BBC2 going when there was no snooker on.

This is one of the better ones. A true story and a genuinely inspiring tale of personal courage from a working-class South London woman. I defy you not to be touched by either the poem, or Jack Warner's farewell to his daughter. They don't make them like this anymore.
½ September 24, 2012
A truly remarkable film based on a true story
Harlequin68
June 27, 2011
Wanting to do the right thing and bring a French soldier home for a dinner hosted by her French mother(Denise Grey), Violette(Virginia McKenna) meets Etienne(Alain Saury) in the park and invites him along. Romance soon blossoms between Violette and Etienne and in the sole moment when her friend Winnie(Billie Whitelaw) is not present to chaperone them, Etienne proposes marriage. They have a baby, Tania, while he is fighting in World War II. Sadly, he dies in the Battle of El Alamein. Six months later, Violette is summoned to the pensions department to see Potter(Sydney Tafler) who asks her if she would like a pension of her own as a liaison to the French resistance...

...and that's where "Carve Her Name with Pride"(based on a true story) should have started. The movie tries to infer that Violette is motivated to volunteer by Etienne's heroism but I feel she would have done so anyway because World War II was a time when ordinary people were called on to do extraordinary things for their country. Rather, I think the movie is structured this way to establish without a doubt the baby was not born out of wedlock(Quelle horreur!) and to set up the emotional payoff, allowing the movie to unfortunately slide into being a cliched soap opera at times. From what I can see here, Violette was extraordinary but the movie, left in a conflicted position of not knowing what to do with a female action hero, was made at a time not long after women were told to return to the safety of their homes to be just mothers.
May 27, 2011
WOW! I ran across this gem quite by accident. While I think it could have used a bit more active editing for tightening up, this is one emotional roller-coaster of a viewing ride. Beautiful. And based on a true story. If you are a fan of unique war movies, this is the one for you. An amazing story of true bravery and patriotism. I am instantly a Virginia McKenna fan.
jjnxn
May 1, 2011
Solid filming of the story of a very brave ordinary woman and the chances she took for a cause she believed in. Excellent performances.
August 13, 2010
I enjoyed this film, nice to see Virginia McKenna in this film. I throughly enjoyed her performance in A Town Like Alice.
August 9, 2010
True war story adaptation which Virginia McKenna plays with both sympathy and blind bravery. Her performance deserves a lot of merit.
August 9, 2010
I love this story and it's true about an ordinary woman who wanted to do something extraordinary.She knew she was taking a risk but she achieved her goals. A role model for women even today.........
December 26, 2009
I watched this with my mother. I cried at the end and looked over to see her weeping too. A great 4 kleenex movie
December 23, 2009
I read and reread the book as a child. The book and film recount the story of Violette Szabo; her work for the SOE in WW2, her bravery and ultimately her execution by the Germans.

"The life that I have, Is all that I have, And the life that I have, Is yours.

The love that I have, Of the life that I have, Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have, A rest I shall have, Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years, In the long green grass, Will be yours and yours, And yours."