Reviews

• Jul 27, 2018

underrated...compelling, fascinating collage of a non-standard narrative form.

underrated...compelling, fascinating collage of a non-standard narrative form.

• Apr 06, 2014

Down to Earth (Casa de Lava, 1994) - 5 1994 film directed by portuguese filmmaker Pedro Costa. It didn't appear to be as polished as it could be, but it was a very interesting display of the minimalistic cinematic language Pedro Costa will refine in his later works. Although I didn't like this movie very much, I have to say it has its legitimate interest and I'll keep my eyes open for more stuff from this intriguing filmmaker.

• Aug 23, 2010

Stunning shots of the people and places of the Cape Verde Islands decorate a largely impenetrable plot about a Portuguese nurse bringing a comatose villager home and staying. Reviews I've read suggest that Pedro Costa had grander themes (imperialism, slavery, migration) operating in the background but the film's insularity kept these from becoming legible.

• Mar 12, 2010

Interpolates Tourneur & Lewton's "I Walked With a Zombie" while meditating on post-colonial inertia, malaise and identity. Costa employs a dream logic while unfolding the plot (such as it is) and his composition is a National Geographic proof sheet: throwaway sublime and eternal mundane.

• Jan 14, 2010

The best of the Pedro Costa movies I've seen..With the actor from Limits of Control

• Apr 09, 2008

I lost track of what was going on halfway through the film, though the themes of migration and foreignness are evident. It's impossible to keep track of how all the characters are related to each other. There are many stunningly gorgeous moments in this film.

• Dec 12, 2007